Thread: People don't like recurved blades or what? O.o

People don't like recurved blades or what? O.o

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just had an auction for my custom recurved Tenacious end at $30, the starting amount... It had 18 watchers :O and only 1 bid, right at the very end.
    I thought it would be a hit with the Spyderco people, since I have never seen one like it before. It doesn't really bother me that much, since I needed to get rid of it anyways, but it just seems kind of strange to have that much interest and no takers. Here is a pic of the blade:

I think that looks nice. I probably like it more than the standard Tenacious, but same as with a car, mods don't necessarily add value, especially when they void warranties.

Shoulda called it the TNP Recurve Tenacious 1 of 1.

its pretty uncommon to see someone modify a knife to have a recurve. plus sharpening them is a pain for everyone who uses a stone and doesn't want to ruin their edges.
    Personally, I want any movie I see about a guy that travels back in time in a souped up DeLorean and meets his parents before they were married to have the appropriate guitar for the year, kinda blew the believability of the whole movie for me.

Blog Entries
    I love recurved blades, but when they come that way from the factory

It's a $30 knife new

And you got $30 for it used. You should be happy.

Why did you sell it, if you like it so much?

Quote Originally Posted by brets-ftw View Post
    its pretty uncommon to see someone modify a knife to have a recurve. plus sharpening them is a pain for everyone who uses a stone and doesn't want to ruin their edges.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevDevil View Post
    I love recurved blades, but when they come that way from the factory
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
    It's a $30 knife new

And you got $30 for it used. You should be happy.

Why did you sell it, if you like it so much?
    ^^^What these guys said.

Besides probably voiding the warranty, I'm wondering if the blade was re-ground to accommodate for the recurve? Is the thickness behind the bevel consistent? To be honest I would have expected it to sell for less than what you payed for it.
    "Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."
    --Immanuel Kant

Thanks for the input, now I know not to waste time and money on another one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crowmagnon View Post
    Thanks for the input, now I know not to waste time and money on another one.
    Pick up some steel bar stock, and design a fixed blade. You obviously have some interest in the craft aside from just collecting and using. Given some time, I'm sure you could come up with a solid design and put out a good product. don't give up.

Bad news. Most of the people watching were probably laughing at what someone did to a good knife and waiting to see if anyone would buy it. I've never found any advantage to recurves in anything smaller than a machete, but plenty of disadvantages. I know some people like them, but I doubt I'll live long enough to figure out why.

Okay, okay! Apparently I'm retarded. Sorry BladeForums. Also sorry to the poor little Tenacious who was needlessly mutilated.

Quote Originally Posted by crowmagnon View Post
    Okay, okay! Apparently I'm retarded. Sorry BladeForums. Also sorry to the poor little Tenacious who was needlessly mutilated.
    Not retarded, you just did not have your hand on the pulse of buyers. Or maybe you just don't have a Youtube review channel like nutnfancy. He could have sold that for a hundred bucks.

I just don't understand the Chinese knife modding thing.

Modding a cheap Chinese knife is like polishing a turd, it's not going to magically become a $500 custom Chinese knife.

Thread Information