Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripped Navy MKI....anyone done it yet?

Stripped Navy MKI....anyone done it yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
    My eyes keeps going back and forth between my MKI and my can of Jasco Paint and Epoxy Stripper. Would like to see one that has gone before me before I decide. Anyone seen any pics?

I haven't seen a stripped one yet. Maybe check out the Ka-Bar forum, or just go for it.

It's funny you should say that. I bought mine with the intention of doing just that, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Was considering doing it today if I have the time.

Well I took it's pants off and threw them away, does that count?

Yes, its been done, and no, its not mine. I recalled it from this thread and had the magic google device find it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post

Yes, its been done, and no, its not mine. I recalled it from this thread and had the magic google device find it for me.
    The Snark is strong with this one

My thinking is: That was sanded off because my Kabars have scoffed at strippers. I never scoff at a stripper. It's rude.
    Beckerhead 65

"No matter how liberated this world becomes, man will always be judged by the amount of alcohol he can consume and women, whether they like to admit it or not, will be impressed." Cocktails

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinRedBeard View Post
    The Snark is strong with this one
    Yea, it happens when I just wake up on a saturday morning and immediately start checking BF. My snark inhibitors and political correctness algorithms haven't quite kicked in yet, so what I think just ends up getting typed .

But really though, I remembered the photo, but couldn't remember where it was. So I googled "site:bladeforums.com Kabar MK1" into google images and this is one of the first page results.

And someone here or in the Ka-Bar forums tested stripper vs. Kraton and the stripper had no effect whatsoever on the Kraton, so if you prefer stripped blades, you have nothing to lose.

gonna have to get mine nekkid now....

Vodka does the trick quite nicely, I hear.

Kidding...

that thing looks as good stripped as fully dressed.
    This and a tweener are the only two factory fixed blades I want right now.
    Quick, someone post a contest for a Mk1 with me as the winner.

-Daizee
    Beckerhead #int((2/3)*100)
    My knives, etc.: http://crosstownoutdoors.wordpress.com/
    "You have to admit it's a good looking heart attack." --Tradewater

I kinda like that!

Hmmm....I like it. I think I'll do it.

And its not about being too lazy to google, its also sharing ideas and instigating conversation beyond "What should I buy next?" threads...

Then the next question will be, to polish, or patina? Based on my Beckers...I'll probably polish. Patina would probably look better on a leather handled one anyway. Gotta do something...getting twitchy again. Don't have much $$$ at the moment, and if I don't tweak something I'm going to end up getting a 7.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Tanner View Post
    Hmmm....I like it. I think I'll do it.

And its not about being too lazy to google, its also sharing ideas and instigating conversation beyond "What should I buy next?" threads...
    I hope I didn't come off to abrasive there, as that really wasn't my intent. I was literally only describing how it was that I found the photo (like I said, had pretty much just woken up). Not really an excuse, but it is what it is.

And I agree that its nice to have different types of threads going. Plus, this got someone else to post more pics which is also great (the leather one looks great).

In other news, how are people stripping the end cap and the guard so precisely? I think if I was going to try this and I hadn't seen the photos, I would have simply done the blade alone. And personally I think I like the subdued look that patina and satin finish both of these have. I personally think it might end up looking a bit odd with a fully polished blade.

Either way though, I'd love to see photos of the result. I'm thinking of getting a buddy of mine his first "outdoor" fixed blade for his Birthday, and its between the MK1 or the Condor Bushlore right now.

I'm planing on doing a patina with mine at some point, but like you said, leather handle vs kraton.

I hope I didn't come off to abrasive there, as that really wasn't my intent. I was literally only describing how it was that I found the photo (like I said, had pretty much just woken up). Not really an excuse, but it is what it is.
    No offense taken. Usually though when someone says to me "Did you google it" I say "Of Course! We SHOULD just stop talking to each other!"

Plus I'm secretly trying to start a Navy MKI cult here....tricky, since it's not a Becker. It will obviously be abolished where the you-know-whats arrive...

In other news, how are people stripping the end cap and the guard so precisely? I think if I was going to try this and I hadn't seen the photos, I would have simply done the blade alone.
    It really was easier than I thought. I used an old paintbrush to apply the Klean Strip gel and the pommel literally wiped off with a towel. The guard was a little more difficult, but I think I just didn't get enough stripper on it.

The black strips above and below the handle were completely covered in Klean Strip and it didn't touch it. I think I'll leave it alone since it doesn't look bad right now. If I try to remove it and only get halfway I'll regret it.

Either way though, I'd love to see photos of the result. I'm thinking of getting a buddy of mine his first "outdoor" fixed blade for his Birthday, and its between the MK1 or the Condor Bushlore right now.
    I've never had a Condor Bushlore, but seriously get him the MK1 with leather handle. I'm surprised how much I actually like it -- it's awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information