Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Quotes from non-knife people.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by simioh View Post
    When a friend asked me if I collected anything I said knives, to which she answered: so violent! :s

The guys I know who carry blades are some of the most non-violent people I've ever met.

Ha! Head over to the candlepower forums and read what people say to those who edc a flashlight too

When i read everybodies reply when asked why they carry a knife i add "... and then I stabbed him in the neck"

A small flashlight is such a great edc item. I use my mini 123x all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike8008 View Post
    A small flashlight is such a great edc item. I use my mini 123x all the time.
    4sevens? Have one too but i use a custom liteflux lft2xt.

Ohh there are plenty of 'banned subjects' at work with the ladies...motorcycles, flashlights, batteries, cameras, window tint, now..knives heh

Yep, 4 sevens.

I had a preon 2 but I kept actuating the tail cap when it was in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by sqchram View Post
    4sevens? Have one too but i use a custom liteflux lft2xt.

Ohh there are plenty of 'banned subjects' at work with the ladies...motorcycles, flashlights, batteries, cameras, window tint, now..knives heh
    At least you can still talk about sex, That's important.

Ha! yup

So everybody I work with knows I typically EDC a flashlight. My coworkers and I played city league softball last year and one of my coworkers calls me over. "Hey do you have that flashlight?" I walk over and present it to her in front of a group of people and she immediately makes me the ass of a joke saying 'see I told you so!' - All in good fun. Sure enough though, sun went down and a homerun got knocked into a thicket... well guess who found the ball?

My friend, who is probably only used to seeing small SAKs, while playing with my Strider SMF:
    "Dude, everything about this knife is obnoxiously big."

Quote Originally Posted by crom View Post
    "what do you need that for?" is the one i get the most. My realtor just said "are you going to stab me or something?" when my wife happened to mention I have knives here and there around the house. I didn't even respond to her. My sister in law got a bug in her butt about the 4" BM fixed I use in the kitchen regularly, worrying about it being out in the open; even though it was out of reach so that neither of my small children could reach it. I showed her my drawer full of kitchen-use knives and asked her what the hell was the difference? And the kids DO have access to that drawer. I think it's psychological, but why are kitchen knives OK?
    What IS the difference between a BM 4" fixed and a kitchen knife? 4" is the size of a petty knife or a large pairing knife. Derp. I'd be interested to know what the perceived difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm61 View Post
    One of the better and apparently not that uncommon lines heard at gun shows where custom knife makers are set up. "Where did you buy the blades?"
    Best line EVER, but we made need to Snopes this one. At a knife show a number of years ago, a couple was at Bill Moran's table. After looking at one of the knives, the wife is alleged to have said "how can they charge that much for a knife made by a Moron?"
    My funniest experience did not involve words and the guy was probably a knife person. AT my first show in 2007, some old time picked up a knife from my table and stuck his tongue on the blade to "check the carbon content of the steel"
    You need to put up a sign on your table that says "you lick it, you bought it".

From the girlfriend, "Stop playing with your knife you're going to CUT YOURSELF!"
    Beckerhead #119

Quote Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
    I'm only 19 and u aggree with you for the most part about no longer thinking and acting for ourselves. So many people I meet are the same way. I am not because I make it a point not to.....

Heck, the only time I see people my age or younger who know how to problem solve are those that were born with a talent for it or those who were lucky enough to be taught (few and far between

They are now teaching problem solving in college to engineers now.....I wish we got it before now.

I was lucky enough to be taught somewhat at a young age since my mother is/was an engineer

And to keep the thread on topic, I had my roommate ask
    Me what I was carrying, I pulled out my ZT0350, a case cheetah, and my leatherman PST

He responded with "you have a problem and only 2 hands"

I laughed and said yes, that way I can have a multitouch when I need it, a non-scary looking knife when I need it, and the bombproof one whenever i need a knife and I'm not in a place where I care about scaring people
    My dad is a tool and dye-maker. From a very young age, he would play "games" with me that involved figuring out how to accomplish a goal or overcome a problem. He'd give me a certain number of items that I could use. Generally, rope, string, building blocks, pliers, wire etc. Kept me busy for hours, and made me good at figuring out how to make do with what I have. I am truly amazed at how few people I come across can actually problem solve on the spot. I thanked him recently for teaching me problem solving at a young age. He would also play logic type games with me, which were always fun. I didn't clue in that he was actually teaching me how to think until I was much older. We never really played sports together, but I think what he gave me much more valuable.

My mom would play games that would teach me various things she knew how to do. Looking back, they were pretty smart parents. Every game they played had some kind of hidden lesson or purpose to it. They were always fun and engaging. It is too bad more people don't have that done for them.

The one comment that Ill never forget went as follows.
    General CONTRACTOR trying to open a box full of plumbing stuff: "Hey dont you have a knife"
    Me: "sure here ya go, careful its sharp" (CRKT m16 spearpoint zytel)
    GC: Jesus waddya got that things for......opens box......hands back knife(cant close it)
    Me:.......................
    GC: You better be careful someone might take that from you and use it on you!

I shoulda offered the poor idiot a shot at it.

Now keep in mind Im doing CONSTRUCTION work! Were surrounded by saws, hammers, chisels, every TOOL in the book and they all CUT. But my little 3.5 inch plastic handled flipper was more than his delicate sensabilities could handle.

My habit of carrying knives is still considered weird by most of my coworkers to this day. Each and every one of them has a pouch full of cutting tools on thier hip all day long, Yet at least 2-3 times a week something will need cut and noone has thier bags on. Historically its the straps on freshly delivered lumber.

Whaddya got THAT thing for.....!! "to cut the straps off the lumber so we can make money you buffoon! " (and maybe just maybe......to stab people who ask stupid questions......)

Quote Originally Posted by P2P View Post
    How bout this...
    Q.Why do you have a knife
    A. Well I enjoy how it relates to my philosophical viewpoints.
    This actually works for me a lot of the time.

It seems as if people relate 'pocket knife' with violence since it CAN be used as a weapon. People who engage me in conversation, especially those who already believe that a knife's purpose is a weapon first and foremost, generally follow this line of thought;

Knives are sharp. Sharp things cut very well. Cuts hurt, and objects that can cut are dangerous in nature [often ignoring or not recognizing the all important when handled improperly bit]. Those who want to hurt others will carry a weapon; thus those who want to hurt may carry a knife.

They don't even consider it a tool unless they've been taught or learned to think so, or if they're only used to seeing those cheap small razor blades [which have their place]. My opinion is that if you're responsible, you'll be fine with 'dangerous' objects/tools.

Q: Why do you carry a folding knife?
    A: Why do you drive a car? Why do you use a pen, a flashlight in the dark or your phone?

I try to drive home the point that knives make tasks that require one very simple to complete with an efficient, well placed cut or two.

Also, timbit... You have awesome parents. I had to learn that kind of thing on my own. Not that I dislike my parents or anything. :P
    Last edited by WillardCorspe; 07-01-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Sister cut herself cutting a thick plastic wrap open.
    (Knife she used was a tad blunt so it went into her finger as she forced it though.

Me: That's why I bought you that knife
    Sister: but you said it was for utility ....oh Wait.

At home I constantly got asked the old "why do you have these knives?"
    I stopped answering this question a long time ago and just used my knives for their intended purpose, opening clamshell packaging, boxes etc, as if nothing was wrong. Everyone around me now realises that the knives are tools.
    Sometimes, actions really do speak louder than words.

What I get a lot at work is someone having problems with their POS box cutter or utility knife coming up to me, "hey you're a knife guy, could you help me with this?"
    As if somehow my carrying a real knife because I disdain box cutters etc. makes me qualified to fix the problem they are having with their cheap imitation of a knife.
    I always think to myself "Yes, throw it in the trash and buy a real knife!"

A hottie said one of my para 2 made her wet

-Q: "Why do you carry a knife?"

-A: Why not?

People at work often ask me about how many I have, (Which I usually answer: More than 10 less than 500) and why I have so many... Then they proceed to use my favorite line of them all. Why do you have so many knives? You can only use one at a time. I usually just say "Challenge: Accepted" and continue on with what I was doing before. (usually talking to one of the few "knife guys" at work.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread Information