Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best of the worst: fishing gear?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Nice carp!

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkCreekWalker View Post
    Nice carp!
    he got lucky... or unlucky. we were bass fishing. me, i prefer not to catch carp. if i cant eat it, i dont care to catch it

I sure wouldn't mind a fish that size. In fact the first carp I caught was on a french fry. Second one was a blast because I was trying to catch him for an hour and finally got him. The only fish I can't stand are the Asian silver carp. They've invaded some rivers around here and are a real problem.
    You know what they say- A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. Unless you get hit by lightning, bit by a snake, or bombarded with boats and noisy vacationers.

Wow, catching that carp on 12# line would be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by nuckingfuts View Post
    Wow, catching that carp on 12# line would be amazing!
    it took him a good while to wear that carp down. she drug us all over the cove we were in. as he finally got her up to the boat, i leaned down to grab her tail as he grabbed her under the gills, i saw her eye look at me and with a huge wooosh, she splashed water all over me and him with that huge tail. .. i guess that was her middle finger as we got her out of the water. huge fish man

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo View Post
    ill try to dig up my picture of my cousin catching a 25-35lb carp on 12lb Pline. he wrestled that thing for 10 mins. that line should have broke but it didnt. i was very very impressed to say the least. since then i use Pline on a rod or two when i am not using flouro
    what kind of bait you using to catch carp? got a lake that has lots of them and they want to get rid of them so no limit in catching them out...but i don't know how to lure them...

someone doesn't like roostertails?...that is one of my favs, next to thomas buoyant and mepps...

Quote Originally Posted by pilote View Post
    what kind of bait you using to catch carp? got a lake that has lots of them and they want to get rid of them so no limit in catching them out...but i don't know how to lure them...

someone doesn't like roostertails?...that is one of my favs, next to thomas buoyant and mepps...
    Whole kernel corn. The name brands have bigger kernels. punch a hole in the can drain liquid into the water , open the can on up and throw a handful out in front of where your fishing . put a couple kernels on a small strong hook use just enough weight to get it out into where you threw the corn and Don't turn your back on the pole .. they will take it with them
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by pilote View Post

that one bit on a carolina rigged lizard. they normally do not go after bait like that. i think it was sucking up vegetation and it happed to suck that up too

Carp?
    Dough balls with either anise, vanilla or strawberry.
    IIRC strawberry jello mix in the dough balls worked a treat.

Some chum with corn, bread or dog biscuits.

The carp flyfishers tie bread flies

Even I , not at all a fisherman , have an Ugly Stick !!
    I've heard that Eagle Claw hooks are now made in China and the eyes are not closed !! Another sad "made in China " story . Some of is ok but much of it isn't.

Alot of the value priced hooks are made in China....I just spent over $100 buy 23 brand new boxes of old hooks off Ebay from a guy that bought out an old sporting goods store. The hooks are all USA made, and in the boxes brand new from the 60s to 70s. Lots of memories for me going to the tackel store with my Dad, and enough hooks to last a life time....

Quote Originally Posted by tom19176 View Post
    Alot of the value priced hooks are made in China....I just spent over $100 buy 23 brand new boxes of old hooks off Ebay from a guy that bought out an old sporting goods store. The hooks are all USA made, and in the boxes brand new from the 60s to 70s. Lots of memories for me going to the tackel store with my Dad, and enough hooks to last a life time....
    good find! i use eagles for catfish and pan fish. i use Gammy's for bass. ill use more expensive brands if they do not have the gammy i like in stock

i think my favorite cheap good gear is an ugly stick rod and any non walmart cheaper Abu or Shimano spin reel.

I have enough hooks to last for years. Ill find them on clearance and buy them all. I have a hundred gammy octopus hooks that I use for carp and channels. Lots of texas rig hooks.One of my favorites is a heavy wire Eagle Claws that I paid a quarter a pack for. I get good stuff cheap. Even my Curados and Quantums 1310s were purchased for a fraction of their original cost. I have not been able to find rods that cheap though and have to buy them at retail . I have bought lots of great lures at second hand stores and flea markets. Some of the old crankbaits , I believe, will get as many bites or more as todays high dollar lures. Old wood Rapala Fat Raps and Bagleys I have picked up for as low as 50 cents and do they catch fish .

Quote Originally Posted by dipbait View Post
    I have enough hooks to last for years. Ill find them on clearance and buy them all. I have a hundred gammy octopus hooks that I use for carp and channels. Lots of texas rig hooks.One of my favorites is a heavy wire Eagle Claws that I paid a quarter a pack for. I get good stuff cheap. Even my Curados and Quantums 1310s were purchased for a fraction of their original cost. I have not been able to find rods that cheap though and have to buy them at retail . I have bought lots of great lures at second hand stores and flea markets. Some of the old crankbaits , I believe, will get as many bites or more as todays high dollar lures. Old wood Rapala Fat Raps and Bagleys I have picked up for as low as 50 cents and do they catch fish .
    yes sir they do.. somewhat of a not so secret weapons of many good anglers

I have lures from the 70s my Dad got me as a teen, and they do work well when I use a lure! I think the fish have not seen them in use , so they are "new" to them, and with all the catch and release fishing where I fish, that makes a big difference!

ok, i will do some of the baiting suggestions...damm, i want to go carp fishing now! no limit and i can help "clean" the lake LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo View Post
    he got lucky... or unlucky. we were bass fishing. me, i prefer not to catch carp. if i cant eat it, i dont care to catch it
    yep; the ONLY time i will deviate from this rule is at this particular lake FOR CARP ONLY...

I fish for carp often. Caught several yesterday afternoon and lmao at my cousin for having inadequate equipment , he couldnt land one , they kept breaking him off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information