Thread: Down and Dirty LionSpy review

Down and Dirty LionSpy review

ADVERTISEMENT
    I finally received my LionSpy from NewGraham. First of they are great people to do business but anyways on to the knife...

I love it! It is a big knife but after handling the ZT 551 and BM Adamas nothing bothers me size wise. The fit and finish is not 100% but this is not a custom which I would expect everything to be spot on. The only "flaw" would be the seating of the stop pin. If you are the talented sort you may be able to slide a piece of paper between the stop pin and the G10 so I'd say the gap is negligible. It has a great convex edge that was decently sharp but 30seconds on the 1x30 sander w/ a leather belt it was perfect.
    All and all it feel great in hand, isn't obtrusive in the pocket, has a nice hydraulic feel to it when opening and after handling it for a few minutes it answered an important question...Should I buy a back-up? The answer was a "Hell yes!!"

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Size comparison to the ZT 0560. If you were wondering if I like the LionSpy better the answer is yes

You lucky dog! Thanks for the review and awesome pictures!

How smooth does it open and lock compared to the ZT560

Lionspy rfp, 560 lfp?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogg774 View Post
    I can't answer for the OP, but I can give you my opinion.

My two specimens open up very smoothly, as in there is zero grittyness or other anomalies. But, the blade doesn't move very effortlessly. The lock bar is so strong that the detent ball puts a LOT of pressure on the blade which makes you put some effort into moving the blade.

So, smooth but not "loose" by any means. On my two knives the lock bar is so strong it actually hurts my thumbs significantly to unlock the knife. I'm not one to complain about a knife hurting my hand, but I would guess I have to exert 25+ PSI to the lock bar to unlock it. (comparing that to an 8lb Glock trigger pull.)

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogg774 View Post
    The 0560 is really smooth and lightning fast when opening. The lock up on the 0560 is very secure. The LionSpy takes a bit more effort with opening and closing since the lockbar is stiffer. She locks up great as well.
    The knives are in two different classes but I would choose the LionSpy just on the fact is doesn't have over zealous jimping like 0560

SR-1 are very tight and firm too - at least when you first get them. Defeating the initial detent was stiff on my SR-1.

i really want a lionspy, whats stopping me from getting one is that i don't think it would be good for EDC . i don't think 5.9oz is going to carry well in my front pocket

capid1, would you be able to take a pic of the lionspy next to a manix2 for a size comparison?

also, is the lionspy blade heavy or balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
    i really want a lionspy, whats stopping me from getting one is that i don't think it would be good for EDC . i don't think 5.9oz is going to carry well in my front pocket

capid1, would you be able to take a pic of the lionspy next to a manix2 for a size comparison?

Got mine today. The balance point is right on the choil. Handle profile is very comfortable so you don't really notice the weight so much. It's very comfortable in hand and pocket

Give me a few minute and I'll take a few pics for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 23xdm3.8 View Post
    Got mine today. The balance point is right on the choil. Handle profile is very comfortable so you don't really notice the weight so much. It's very comfortable in hand and pocket
    i remember handling an aluminum SR-1 and it felt a little blade heavy, it's good to hear that the lionspy is more neutral.

when you say it's comfortable in pocket, are you talking about clipped onto your pocket or riding in your pocket? (i have to carry my knives in my pocket).

i remember handling an aluminum SR-1 and it felt a little blade heavy, it's good to hear that the lionspy is more neutral.

when you say it's comfortable in pocket, are you talking about clipped onto your pocket or riding in your pocket? (i have to carry my knives in my pocket).
    Clipped to and in the pocket. IIRC I read in the other lionspy thread about the pocket clip being clunky or something..I didn't feel that at all. It has excellent tension, yet still pretty easy to clip on the pocket.

I'm curious though, why they chose to use Teflon washers instead of phosphor bronze

I agree with everything 23xdm3.8 said. Feels great in hand and in the pocket. Here are some pics for comparison. It was the best I could do with my 6y/o running around haha

Those pictures really give a good idea about the size and shape. I wonder why they used a cutout on the front and a cutout backside of the frame lock?
    People should not be afraid of their government, government should be afraid of their people.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    My two specimens open up very smoothly, as in there is zero grittyness or other anomalies. But, the blade doesn't move very effortlessly. The lock bar is so strong that the detent ball puts a LOT of pressure on the blade which makes you put some effort into moving the blade.

So, smooth but not "loose" by any means. On my two knives the lock bar is so strong it actually hurts my thumbs significantly to unlock the knife. I'm not one to complain about a knife hurting my hand, but I would guess I have to exert 25+ PSI to the lock bar to unlock it. (comparing that to an 8lb Glock trigger pull.)
    Mine is almost exactly like you describe, though yours may be bit harder to unlock.
    I did notice it being very strong when unlocking...not "painful" the first time, but will definitely notice it after repeated unlocks.
    The lockbar is strong, but the shape and smoothness make getting a good purchase on it difficult requiring more force to unlock.

A subjective thing. You will definitely know it's in your pocket.
    Just compared it to my ZT350 and the difference (to me) is not that noticeable.

You may want to look closely at the clip. It seems pretty short to me and stiff, but it is going ride quite low so might be all you need.

Certainly not blade heavy. The balance point appears to be at the rear of the pivot or just behind it.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas

Thread Information