Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waiting for Knives ordered MONTHS ago is killing me!

ADVERTISEMENT
    With some companies it annoys me, but others it's worth it. It really depends on how good their offerings are. For example, Cold Steel has just been stale lately. They have a few rehashes and material downgrades that you basically wait a year for them to ship after they show them. Spyderco on the other hand just has a ton of interesting designs in the pipe, so if I have to wait a few months to get a second Yojimbo 2 I'm inclined to give them a pass as a company.

Waiting 5 years for a full custom dream knife is not really related in my opinion. Obviously if you're putting a ton of thought and money into a single grail knife you're going to be more inclined to wait patiently for it.

I'm with the OP. I especially dislike when the knives receive multiple significant changes on the way to production. I don't think there is much benefit to the manufacturer to announce a knife a year out, other than to gauge interest, and that interest can change on the enthusiast side with trends, other product releases, and alterations to specs.

I also hate waiting for knives because my first custom order should have taken four months, took two years instead, I didn't get the knife I ordered, and I was one of the lucky ones because the maker took off with a lot of money from other orders. Waiting for a knife now never leaves me with a sense of anticipation, just a longer delay until I feel like I'm not going to miss out or get screwed over if I had to pay any sort of deposit.

The fact that I have lots of other knives doesn't reduce my desire for a new one - ordering despite having dozens of alternatives already means I have been hit by the bug to purchase then and there. In some ways the delays are good for me, since I have skipped over many knives from several brands because by the time they arrive at retailers it has been too long, they have changed too much, I found an alternative already available from another brand (maybe even cheaper) or I managed to talk myself out of another blade when I have five in my EDC rotation and dozens more sitting around. It at least slows down my spending a bit. Sometimes.

I never do pre-orders. When I get the urge to buy a knife I need it now, not 6 months from now. That is why I never have any sprints as much as they appeal to me. Before these knives are released they are all sold. This is a dandy business plan if you can make it work and kudos to the companies that can do it but it just doesn't work for me.

I've been waiting on my Kershaw Echelon for almost 2 months now and I'm really sick of waiting, but I won't dare cancel my pre-order because then I'll never get my Echelon.

I know what you mean my 0560 is only now coming in, hehe.

Wow, I skipped some posts and am on my phone now so excuse the typos. I remember when I saw one of Jerry Busses first ads. Man I called for a catalog. I got a pamphlet. Dude I ordered up a first of 300 SHBM'S. They said six months it took nine. I would have bought 100 of them if I knew they were going to sell at this price now. When I call Fherman for my Satin Final Judgment, I will tell him to take his time and send me a perfect one. Because after that purchase I will be making and selling all my fixed blades.

Good thing I have inexpensive tastes and no desire for high end customs. I couldn't take a wait of months, let alone years for a Randall or similar. I've never pre-ordered a knife, probably never will, and I am content to pick stuff at the For sale here and other forums.

I don't mind waiting, as long as the end product is worth it. Which so far, each knife I have waited for has been worth it.

Yojimbo 2... Dude said that my place in the preorder... I won't get mine until May. Not in line for the April release like I had hoped and what's advertised.

I'm too old to wait. Period. Maybe you're lucky...look at it that way.
    Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by hardheart View Post
    I'm with the OP. I don't think there is much benefit to the manufacturer to announce a knife a year out, other than to gauge interest, and that interest can change on the enthusiast side with trends, other product releases, and alterations to specs.
    A little perspective.
    We're not gauging ELU interests. Manufacturers are working on the retailers timetables. They work seasons ahead. We're currently selling for spring 2013 with many large customers.

A little more on this.

The show circuit that manufacturers attend, SHOT, NASGW, Buying Groups, IWA, etc.. are non-public shows. They are for dealers only. As I mentioned in my post above, the new product showcased at these shows are designed to be sold to these participating dealers. The major dealers understand that these products will not be available for immediate shipment, and are not expecting at once delivery for their orders placed.

Conclusion: We don't have it, they don't want it. We're showing it for the future, they are buying for the future.

The media and attendees go to these shows and they report on the new items seen. There are videos and images. The ELU gets excited. The manufacturer is happy you're excited and can't wait to ship knives...please read above.

I wish we were making pepperoni pizza, and hh we try our hardest to make it look like the image on the $9.99 coupon you're holding in your hand all while you impatiently waiting for that astonishingly slow driver to drop it off at your doorstep so to satisfy that grumble in your tummy. Unfortunately it's a bit more complex than that.

Anyhoo, just further thoughts to hopefully make for better understanding.
    Last edited by Thomas W; 04-18-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Gotcha. They're done when they're done, but some of us just aren't the most reasonable group to appease. The award winners seem to be a bit double-edged, since the accolades are great, but the wait is not so great. The sentiments are likely the same at the factory, coming up with a killer design that takes longer than desired to get out there in use. A steady stream of emails and phone calls asking about availability can't be fun.

I actually don't mind the wait, there are still so many knives to be had...it get's it when it gets in...

Besides, it's good to pause for a moment and just enjoy the knives that I already have.

I dont have a problem waiting for a knife at all, I just dont like the "it'll be one month" only to get an email 7 months later that its done.

All good things take time. This hold's true for everything in life.
    Patience is essential to living a good life.

Quote Originally Posted by hardheart View Post
    ...but some of us just aren't the most reasonable group to appease.
    Yea, I've noticed. It's a tad unfortunate because it's a lot of fun sharing First Look threads, and taking images of the progress with given new products. IMO, it's a sad decision we've made not to share here on new products due to the less than reasonable attitudes and expectations (along with the cheater brands), but I guess I'm hoping for a bit too much.

The award winners seem to be a bit double-edged, since the accolades are great, but the wait is not so great.
    The accolades are ok (never seen great benefits), and I've never really felt any negativity on the wait until recently. I'll only speak for us, but we get excited for Blade, and enjoy doing special projects. It's a way for us to break ordinary, and do up exceptional. It should be noted that the few knives we're speaking about are not the norm, but today are held to it from a delivery standpoint. Seems the minority has won once again.

The sentiments are likely the same at the factory, coming up with a killer design that takes longer than desired to get out there in use. A steady stream of emails and phone calls asking about availability can't be fun.
    We know these award entry knives are for down the road, and don't mind the inquires. We try to be open about the availability of these boutique runs. Unfortunately it turns ugly for a few, and the moaning, complaining, and threats follow. Sigh...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information