Thread: SOG NW Ranger

SOG NW Ranger

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have an old nw ranger that I carried for a few years, pretty good knife with the flat grind but the serrations always bothered me a little.

I handled the new version thinking full straight edge would be an improvement...BUT....what were they thinking with the deep indents/large jimping on the inside of the guard. I found it uncomfortable and thought it sure to aggravate your finger on repeated use.
    It just makes no sense to me.

Anyone have the new one and agree with me?

I don't have a new one yet. If the jimping bothers you feel free to send the knife to my home for unwanted SOG's.

I wonder why SOG did that??
    Heber Ellsworth
    Email: wildmanh@yahoo.com

You missed my point Wildmanh, I HANDLED it and the jimping was the deal breaker.....no purchase.

I wonder why sog did it as well.

There have been a couple review of people that had the same thoughts and upon using them changed their minds about the jimping being a problem, see the review by Dylan Fletcher (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Ranger). He had the same concerns you did and was considering removing the jimping but ended up not thinking it was a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad "the butcher" View Post
    You missed my point Wildmanh, I HANDLED it and the jimping was the deal breaker.....no purchase.

I wonder why sog did it as well.
    Ahh okay. Was worth a shot anyways. LOL!!
    Heber Ellsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@SOG View Post
    There have been a couple review of people that had the same thoughts and upon using them changed their minds about the jimping being a problem, see the review by Dylan Fletcher (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Ranger). He had the same concerns you did and was considering removing the jimping but ended up not thinking it was a problem.
    Dylan is a pretty descent knife maker and an occasional SOG user. I think he also has a Revolver. Missed the review, thanks for posting the link.
    Heber Ellsworth

I took a dremel and sanded the grooves down to almost nothing ( just 3 small grooves left) and rounded the corners a bit. This took about ten minutes. I waited for the NWR to come in a plain edge for a long time and the wait was worth it. I didn't like the grooved guard either but since I fixed it , all is good. Great bushcraft and hiking/camping knife. I bought 2 with no regrets.

Don't mind them on mine, of the SOGs I own the NWR is still my fav.

I have the new one when I took it for some hard use in the woods testing I really didn't notice the jimping on the gaurd and I did everything from whittling to batonning to make a fire.

I have the Seki version, I really like the knife, though I wish it was a straight blade, Some day I'll try the newer version.
    Beckerhead #24

Thread Information