Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilderness & Survival Skills Extreme Build Off

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have funny O1 tragedies too...... what happened?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com
    Come visit me at Blade Show 2014. Table 19-O

dig it out of the trash - it may not be what you had in mind, but I bet it's not as bad as you think.
    worst comes to worst, send me the scrap of steel and I'll do something with it.
    OTOH, does this mean it's a good thing I didn't get your monster sheath in the mail today?
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Michael - I'm curious what you were trying. Care to share the idea and what went wrong?

Rick - Aw, c'mon, we need pics!

Here's where my first go ended up:

I went and beat around on some hackberry and a pecan log with it and am pleased with how it handles. I think it'll be on my table at Blade. In the meantime, version #2 is out of the vinegar and ready for stock removal.
    James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: www.helmgrind.com

I started Forging mine out on Thursday. 1/4 W2, first time using it so I'm with Rick, I hope I can pull it off. I dont think Ill be venturing into any more projects with a thickness over 3/16 thick. I stared at it for 20 minutes thinking, damn, what have I gotten myself into. Thats a big chunk of steel! Ill try to throw some pics on here monday.

SC that looks killer!

TC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TCurry View Post
    SC that looks killer!

TC
    Indeed! That is a sweet looking urban survival knife Storm Crow.

Mine is off to heat treat right now. 18" of .300 CPM3V, the largest piece of steel I have ever worked with and had a blast. It is a custom order that I made two of, figured it would work perfectly for this.
    I can probably post pics when I get them back from heat treat.
    Big Chris
    Big Chris Custom Knives
    Like us on Facebook
    bigchriscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.bigchriscustomknives.com

BLADE SHOW 2014 Table 15D

If you have an idea of something you would like made, email me. I am open to most any design.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Marchand View Post
    I have funny O1 tragedies too...... what happened?
    I tried to do a compound grind. I've never done a compound grind and I've also never ground out a knife this large. The compound grind went downhill quickly however I was able to get the rotary platen out and feather everything in. Thought I saved it. So now that I get myself out of trouble, I decide to put a long, freehand cut swedge into it. By the time I fixed that mistake the blade is thinner than I wanted and to be honest, I'm just pissed and throwing a tantrum.

This was/is the design.

Michael - Could you describe what you mean by "compound grind"? I have an idea, but want to see what your answer is.

If at all possible, I'd salvage it for something other than the challenge. That's what I did with my first go at it. I like the design you have.
    James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Michael... THAT was your disaster..... boooooring.... I was hoping for catastrophic explosions, cracks and flying shrapnel. I mess up grinds all the time.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com

The only explosion was the shattering of my fragile psyche.

Ready for heat treat...

.280" L-6 (RDS), 16" oa.

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Marchand View Post
    Ready for heat treat...

.280" L-6 (RDS), 16" oa.

That is a beast Rick! love it!
    To Check out my album, click the link below
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=586

Looks like all the cool kids are going with blunt-ended choppers. Maybe I should jump on the bandwagon and field this instead:

Nahhhhhh....

Blasted camera is doing weird stuff with its focus. I'll take the big camera down to the shop.

OK, this is kind of funny -- I was helping a friend break in his new baby propane forge this weekend and we bashed out machetes from lawn mower blades that look suspiciously like those last 2 pics...
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

It's a very utilitarian shape that is easy to forge out. Downfalls are drilling and tip penetration, obviously. All designs have their strengths and weaknesses. That's what is fun about these types of challenges. It is cool to see how each of the makers' interpretations work out.

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com

Rick, that knife looks like it will not do well... send it to me for disposal, please.

Great looking knives, guys. Can't wait to see them being tested.

Blog Entries
    Guess I had better get my butt in gear, get out to the forge & anvil and pound something out!

Anybody heard from Koyote lately??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Culberson View Post
    Guess I had better get my butt in gear, get out to the forge & anvil and pound something out!

Anybody heard from Koyote lately??
    Last I knew he was really busy with goats. I think it was goats, anyway.

The Mk II version is now ready for heat treatment.

I need to do the stock removal on four more big blades for the Blade Show and then I'll heat treat them as a batch, including the Mk II.

Notice that the false edge isn't as well defined on this one. I wanted to just even it up a bit and not thin down that section much, leaving it plenty thick for hammering.

I've had a couple of people question me recently about my integral socket handles being offset; they aren't. I align them with the blade. There's a little bit of asymmetry due to the ends of the socket preform moving differently than the middle, meaning that the seam side tends to be just a bit flatter than the opposite side. I put the seam to the inside of the fingers so that the more curved side fits into the palm, and when I wrap the handle I lay the end of the cord along the seam before wrapping around it, helping fill out the seam side better and also making the cord *really* anchored.

Here are some pics I took of a different integral socket handle to show what I mean.

The view of the seam side:

The view of the opposite side:

Looking at it from the top. Notice the handle is not offset to the blade but is aligned:

You can also see how much the end of the handle is rolled back on itself. This also makes for a stout anchor for the cord as well as adding some visual interest. Notice also that the socket is an oval cross section, making a mechanical lock in the hand to keep it from turning sideways while chopping. I'm all about handles having mechanical locks.

Thanks for those pics SC.

That is some good work. I bet there is more to doing those handles than most people think.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information