Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Carter of Mars

ADVERTISEMENT
    I wonder why they didn't call it "A Princess of Mars"? I think that might have gotten more interest from movie goers than "John Carter", which is how I saw it advertised on TV. It took me a moment to remember who John Carter was.

I haven't seen it yet, but plan to. I read a few of those books many years ago. Some of the paperbacks are worth collecting just for the Frank Frazetta cover art

Every time I see a preview I can't help but think "clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!"

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwood View Post
    I wonder why they didn't call it "A Princess of Mars"? I think that might have gotten more interest from movie goers than "John Carter", which is how I saw it advertised on TV. It took me a moment to remember who John Carter was
    Our theater marquee reads "John Carter." I had no idea who he was until seeing this thread, and I still don't.
    Off to watch a trailer...

--------------

Well the trailer looked pretty bad. All of the special effects looked like cartoons. Movie-makers, if you're going to do that, why not just make an animated film?!?

The name didn't register for me either. The instant I saw the green Martians in a trailer I realized what the movie was based on, though.

Most all the entertainment pundits are referring to this as an enormous flop; one that will be hard-pressed to make back it's rather large investment.
    Yet at the same time all those who see the thing seem to think it's pretty darned good.

Seems Disney totally blew the promotion for this movie. There are thousands of Burroughs fans out there who like myself avidly read these novels as a kid. Many of us were waiting patiently for advanced CGI and such to properly render these old books to film.
    So now we have it, and Disney doesn't even use the right titles.... No mention of Burroughs....

What, did they think that the all-important "young" demographic group would pass on this because it's old? Gee, that certainly didnt' hurt LOTR....

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    I've heard that this was a fight between the "old guard" and new people at Disney, and it was destined to fail. Who knows, I think it will do great on DVD sales. I just want to see sequels, fat chance of that happening. Disney cut their own threats on marketing alone. It should've been called A Princess of Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by mwerner View Post
    Most all the entertainment pundits are referring to this as an enormous flop; one that will be hard-pressed to make back it's rather large investment.
    Yet at the same time all those who see the thing seem to think it's pretty darned good.

Seems Disney totally blew the promotion for this movie. There are thousands of Burroughs fans out there who like myself avidly read these novels as a kid. Many of us were waiting patiently for advanced CGI and such to properly render these old books to film.
    So now we have it, and Disney doesn't even use the right titles.... No mention of Burroughs....

What, did they think that the all-important "young" demographic group would pass on this because it's old? Gee, that certainly didnt' hurt LOTR....
    +1

It is actually a good movie. The more I think about it, it has many aspects that appeal to a wide audience. Marketing of this movie is poor, no trailer has even played on local TV stations here.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhysics View Post
    Fortunately, I couldn't care less what the critics and other moviegoers think.

I enjoyed it. Good enough for me.

Yes, liked the toad-dog!
    I want one.

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    I want one.
    My youngest dog, a huge yellow/black Labrador mix, acts just like the toad dog. Especially when they're in the boat going down the river, and the dog is howling and flops down exhausted, I had to bite my tongue from hollering out "That's my dog!"

The Wall Street Journal, Saturday/Sunday, April 21–22, 2012

Disney Studio's Chief Is Out
    Chairman Rich Ross Steps Down in Wake of Science-Fiction Flop 'John Carter'

The chairman of Walt Disney Co.'s movie studio stepped down after less than three years on the job, in the wake of one of the studio's biggest flops to date.

"I no longer believe the Chairman role is the right professional fit for me," wrote Disney Studios head Rich Ross in an email to employees Friday.

Mr. Ross, whose departure ends a 15-year career at Disney, came to the movie-studio job after a successful run heading the Disney Channel, the once-sleepy cable network he helped reinvent with "tween"-oriented programming such as Hannah Montana and High School Musical. . . .

Mr. Ross's exit comes a month and a half after the disastrous opening of science-fiction epic John Carter, on which Disney expects to lose $200 million. That film cost more than $250 million to make and another $100 million to market.

As a result, the movie studio is expected to report an operating loss of between $80 million and $120 million for its fiscal second quarter, which ended March 31.

In January, amid the run-up to the release of John Carter, studio marketing chief MT Carney left after less than two years in the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwood View Post
    I wonder why they didn't call it "A Princess of Mars"?
    They should have called it Hannah Montana of Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by silenthunterstudios View Post
    My youngest dog, a huge yellow/black Labrador mix, acts just like the toad dog. Especially when they're in the boat going down the river, and the dog is howling and flops down exhausted, I had to bite my tongue from hollering out "That's my dog!"
    I was a big fan of the toad dog in the John Carter comic books. I will wait for the DVD to reach the junk bins and buy it for the toad dog.
    The past isn't dead. It isn't even past.

I finally saw this turkey, IMO one of the worst movies ever, but Woola the Calot (toad dog) was great!

http://io9.com/5891385/how-john-cart...ature-in-years
    The past isn't dead. It isn't even past.

They're playing this movie over and over. It's hard to miss and you won't mind missing it, after you've seen it.

Piso Mojado: IMHO this movie is worse.

Allen Saunders: Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

Honestly, I enjoyed the movie, till he went to Mars.
    Allen Saunders: Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

I am a life-long fan of this series, and have a first edition of Princess of Mars. Overall, I thought it was an excellent adaptation and I've seen it 3 times on cable.

This is a case where the reviewers were flat wrong. Sometimes there is politics behind the initial bad buzz, but once bad buzz leaks out, it can doom a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by silenthunterstudios View Post
    Anyone seen it yet?

are you talking about this movie the she is in?? I just recorded it on my dvr tv just the other day.

Think of the number of Tarzan movies made over the years.

Think of the number of John Carter of Mars movies made over the years.

The problem is obvious. They should have given John some vines to swing from.

Saw it in 3d. It's pretty cool

Never heard of it until a buddy invited me to go see it with him in the theater.

It sounded lame and had bad reviews but I went anyways, and was blown away by it.
    Definitely worthy of my blu ray collection.
    Stand by stomach, here come banana!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhysics View Post
    Yes, liked the toad-dog!
    Hyper-speed frog-dog (or toad) for the win!
    I saw it a couple of days ago...found it at a video store going out of business for $2.

It isn't based on any one book of the series, but captures enough of the spirit of it. Of course, making John Carter leap like the Hulk was a tad humourous.
    Buy my book! Amazon: Kindle: Barnes and Noble:

I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

John Carter: Most excellent movie.

Too bad it didnt do well economically. I was hoping for more in the same vein.

Quote Originally Posted by yablanowitz View Post
    Well compared to "Cloverfield", "John Carter" is a masterpiece. It depends on your point of view, I guess.
    What a monumental POS that was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information