Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Marking Laser = BK2 With Full Flat Grind?

New Marking Laser = BK2 With Full Flat Grind?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Since KA-BAR has a new marking laser, does this mean we can expect to see the BK2's of the future to have a full flat grind? Perhaps I'll do a mock up.

EDIT: Did a mock up.

BK2:

BK2 with FFG. Grind can go back closer to the handle:

I'm basing my question on what Uncle E had to say here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...0#post10609180

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Becker View Post
    Regarding the Sabre Vs. Full Flat ground 16s.....The original saber grind was to enable a roll stamped logo......Its gotta be flat to do the roll......That is why you frequently find a small section of blade in front of the handle or guard.....I want the sharp part of my knives to start just in front of the handle to increase control for small work.....It is important to me and is one of the hallmarks of my designs.....During the long development time I kept harping on making the blade grind go as high as possible to increase the slice and leave barely enough room for the stamp.......Kinda like the early Cammillus Neckers.......At about this time Ka-Bar bought the marking laser.....I was bitching piteously to John Stitt and he said ...With the new Laser we can grind all the way up and I replied "HOT DAMN" or words to that effect.........The Ka-Bar version of the Necker has, in my most humble opinion, a virtually perfect blade geometry for it's intended purpose......The laser marked blades duplicate this.......I see no real strength issues because I know how tough the Necker and Eskabars are and for a knife this short it is plenty tough enough.

All Best...

ethan
    Last edited by The Warrior; 03-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Did a mock up.

interesting...I could go for a FFG 2! I like the looks of the mockup, gives the ol reliable an all new look for Sure!

I wonder what this would do to the weight of the blade and the spine strength. If they offered both, it'd be a really hard choice.

Blog Entries
    Interested in the answer.

In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    Hmm I think that for the 2 I'd like to keep all that extra steel. now on a 9 or 7 that may be something.

I dunno. It'd be great as an option, but I kinda prefer having that extra shoulder when batonning, it takes a lot of the pressure off the edge. I for one will be keeping my rollstamped, standard 7 for a while.

I really like the looks of the sabre grind, hence why I ordered one of the first release 16's. But, after Ethan addressed sabre vs. FFG, it got me wondering about the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mrn8 View Post
    I wonder what this would do to the weight of the blade and the spine strength. If they offered both, it'd be a really hard choice.
    If the spine remained the same thickness, I don't see how that would change anything about the stength. It would be marginally lighter weight, but probably not more than a couple ounces; would be enough to change the balance a little bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_1989 View Post
    would be enough to change the balance a little bit though.
    You could take more steel out of the handle area to help balance it.

I see this as a new beginning for the Becker family's drop point branch, if you have an FFG 2, 11, and 16, then they are all gonna be great at bushcraft, and probably baton through stuff easier, so you essentially get a small (11), medium (16), and a large (2), now, that being said, people are going to want to carry them as a set, so that means people like Skystorm will get busy on custom sheaths and new production sheaths. Now the only thing that's missing is a drop point FFG sword for those that like slicing watermelons in mid air while camping.

But honestly, people are gonna start raiding the Ka-Bar factory if every Becker starts getting laser etched, I know I will!

In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    can you mock up a 7 and 9 full flat dubz?

I dunno, but that BK2 FFG is sexy looking

Quote Originally Posted by clich View Post
    can you mock up a 7 and 9 full flat dubz?
    Perhaps later I'll give it a whirl. A little more of a challenge for me with the swedge. Also, the ramp would have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystorm View Post
    I dunno, but that BK2 FFG is sexy looking
    It is different, that's for sure. I think it would be cool to have one. If nothing else, just to try out...

Yep...

I would buy one. I love some FFG goodness...

If you look at the eariler BK 2 's BlackJack/Effingham they don't have that roll stamp on them, it's kind of an acid or laser ecthing, it sands right off. I don't think those old 2's are saber/flats. I'm gonna go have a better look.

Looks like all generations have that Saber grind on them, so Im presuming thats how the beard wanted it. I'd try one out if they were available though, I'm slutty like that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Warrior View Post
    Perhaps later I'll give it a whirl. A little more of a challenge for me with the swedge. Also, the ramp would have to go.
    of course it does...that goes without sayin LOL

I like the ramp so if your inclined could you do one with the ramp?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information