Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thats your edc? cuz i wouldnt have known

ADVERTISEMENT
    My S&W black ops assisted opener and Buck solo are everyday carry,, used daily and scratched up...I tend to keep everything else in mint shape..

Here's my work EDC. With a new one for comparison. This pic was taken several months ago, so it's even further worn now.

-Aaron

My answer is really simple; NO, I don't use it much. I carry a large folder, a slipjoint folder, and a Leatherman Juice. The slipjoint is the one I use 95% of the time, and it does show some marks, but not a lot because I don't often need a knife during the regular course of a day. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy knives because I do. I love to carry them, and the bigger the better, especially when I can carry without it being noticable.

Def use my knives

^ you should see the delica now, i accidentally broke the clip off and the blade is caked in sheet rock - ill try to get a pic soon

Love that blue Delica, ISKski. I have one in my pocket right now, but it doesn't look that good.

I pretty much baby my knives. Its just how I ride. I can see where real workin' guys - roofers, HVAC, landscaping, etc. - would beat up their knives, but I work on the computer all day, so my blades usually stay minty fresh.

Like some have said, the clips do get some wear on them. And the Cold Steel teflon comes off quickly, so they can look like users after 5 minutes of cutting.

But given the choice, I am pretty easy on my blades.

Most of my blades look like this:

But some, like this Lawman, get a little gnarly:

I split my EDC time between my fairly new Spyderco Native that has yet to see any major trauma (unless you count citric acid)...

... and my Becker BK11 which has seen horrors that would freeze another knife's soul (well maybe not - but it looks used)...

---
    Beckerhead #42

Quote Originally Posted by matt1987 View Post
    I think most people take a pic when they first get it so it looks nice. Or photoshop it so it looks new.
    That's what I do.Also admittedly I don't use my knives "hard".I'm mostly in an urban setting & use them to open packages & other light stuff.On the rare occasion when I do go camping or hiking,I'll carry a fixed blade.I wouldn't dare beat on my high end folders,whether they could take it or not.
    John

"CLICK" to give food & care to needy animals.It's FREE

Powernoodle's lawman is a good example of how a coated blade will show scratches. The tip area has no more coating, yet no deep looking scratches, just the "patina" of light scratches.
    Chopping wood seems to put more scratches on my larger blades, due to speed, friction, and maybe the bark and dirt on the wood. This is to be expected on my camp blades, machetes, etc.
    I have fixed blade that I EDC all the time. I've cut up plenty of chickens, whittled wood, lots of string and rope. I admit, I keep it away from concrete, rocks, dirt, glass, and other materials that is hard enough to give it deep scratches. There are some light scratches on it, some from my strop, which could be cleaner.
    I don't even like cutting up cardboard with my knife. I have box cutters all around, at home, in my tool bags, why dull up my nice knife for some mundane task when I have mundane box cutters anywhere I'd be cutting up cardboard?

My PM2 M390 in Black G10 looks pretty prestine. The edge has one barely visible rolling in one spot and a chip in the edge thats small. Besides that it looks BRAND NEW! because i hit it with polish and take it apart for cleaning every few days. I like it looking good with style. G10 has a part on it that can be seen in light thought from where I used it as a hammer when working.

I don't (can't) sell my knives because of the loss I would take on the resell, scratches from the sheaths on the fixed blades and for my folders they get way more use.

I have no problem with the pictures, just because it's someones EDC doesn't mean that it's gonna get used the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeboss View Post
    99% of the time i see a picture of someones EDC or a knife that has been EDC'd, its in pristine shape. do you carry it and be extremely careful with it, or just keep it in your pocket to have....
    as you may know (because i keep "talking" about it) i EDC a kershaw Crown. ive had it for 2 days and its already scratched. none of the knives i see on here are scratched. none! is it the lighting, or are you all just really careful with your knives.
    or are they all "safe queens"....
    Here's my EDC Hinderer XM-18 and Kershaw Random Leek (sheeple friendly) undergoing Surgery. Where's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynic2701 View Post
    A lot of us actually carry and use knives. Like matt1987 said, most people probably snap a few pictures when they first get the knife. Then they keep using the same pictures because it's easier than taking new ones.

Here are some pictures that show some wear. So, now you can't say that there aren't any pictures of scratched up knives!

Honestly the scratched Ti doesn't look too bad. Gives it character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnydaze View Post
    I still like those CRK's. And the Ti scratches if you look sideways at it. I think the only one with a bit of honest use on it is the 710. It has served you well, I trust.
    Sonny
    The stonewashed finish that CRK uses occludes all but the worst scratches. I'd probably have to make a serious effort to make visible scratches against the stonewash--if you haven't seen a CRK blade up close, it's kind of hard to describe how it differs from other stonewashes. Maybe like a garbage can kind of finish? I don't know really.
    "Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."
    --Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries
    I do carry my knives but I take care of them. They get scratches still but not as many as you would think with how often they're used. I also take pictures of my knives when I first get them and just re-use them as others have said (unless I am putting the knife up for sale/trade). Here's some more recent pictures taken about 5 minutes ago of my XM-18 (had it for a little over a week now) and my small Sebenza.

I will never abuse my knife but I'm not afraid to use my knife. I do have more than a few knives that are just for collecting. Somes knives I'll buy double, one to collect and one to use. Some knives are just for when I'm at work. Some knives are just for when I go out on the town.Some knives are just for when I go hunting or fishing or camping. Since joining this site I have bought a total of 10 brand new knives and counting. My recent knives and knives that I have posted here are mostly new and not yet used. Since joining this site I have learned a lot more about knives and my passion for knives has been re ignited.

bm550hg21.jpg

never leave home without it.

SF Bay Area, CA. SpyderNation # 390. Beckerhead # 305.
    I do what I can to avoid abusing my knives, but am not afraid to use them. Depending on the knife and its purpose, I may also clean and polish them a bit when they start to look worn. However, I usually just snap a few shots when they're new, and don't go back and take more pics later. I just rely on the old pics for posting.

um.......im kinda new here, and have NO IDEA how to post pictures, or i would

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeboss View Post
    um.......im kinda new here, and have NO IDEA how to post pictures, or i would
    once they're on your computer, upload them to photobucket (or another photo hosting site but photobucket is easiest IMO) then from there, you just copy the image url into your post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information