Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have an idea what year this Hatchet head might be?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I saw it , thought it was neat and I was broke. Use / beat hell out of it, may have to get another handle, not to hard to do, If you find some one that knows more than I, they could tell you by the trade mark. they have some differences over the years, I would say in a big old ball park it was made from 1880's to the 1920's , Some time in the 30's or 40's Norvel Shapleigh bought out E C Simmons. they were arch rivals in hardware biz back in the day. Google Keen Kutter and you may find a page or a club you can ask and find more out then my ramblings.

Pat

I over paid i think. It was a impulse buy. I really liked the head but i plan on changing the handle later on. I plan on using it to split fatwood / lightered. I figured it might be from 20's to 40's. Thanks for the info, sir!
    Jack Burton: Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe.

I would reckon that was a broad hatchet moded down on the cheek and then the poll cut off and flattened - probably from the 1940s. Depends on what it says in the lower triangle of the makers mark - say like "cutlery and tools" or "trade mark" - that will help to date it.
    Axes4Life

It has " Cutlery and Tools " on the lower part of the triangle.
    Jack Burton: Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe.

Ok so "cutlery and tools" was pretty popular in the trade mark, so an exact year is going to be tough. I would say, if someone did a mod to it, that it is around say 1945 to 1959. This is an esitmation, not a guarantee. Take if for what you will.

That being said, how is the grain on the handle? Is it a single piece, or a fab multi piece?
    Axes4Life

Quote Originally Posted by infocus2006 View Post
    I over paid i think. It was a impulse buy. I really liked the head but i plan on changing the handle later on. I plan on using it to split fatwood / lightered. I figured it might be from 20's to 40's. Thanks for the info, sir!
    I thought this is a neat axe, I have been waiting to butcher / mod an old Keen Kutter, Bluegrass, Collins, Plumb, Etc. just haven't got there yet. 50, 60 bucks ain't to much it is just a cheap payment to the education to your addiction, welcome to the club.

Pat

One solid piece of wood on the handle. It is tight and solid and feels good in the hand with the finger grooves. I think I will be happy with. I appreciate the info folks!

I have a guy @ work who has several old axe heads he told me to come look at. If there is anything good I will post some pics. I would like to get another keen kutter head but a full size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information