Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Advanced fire kit

ADVERTISEMENT
    neat looking and neat setup. the downside? the price. $60?? you can find great quality fire starters for half or less than that with larger metal pieces.. dont get me wrong i love ESEE stuff. i have a few knives that i absolutely love. just think the fire kit is priced too high. that being said i do not know the quality of the compass as well. it maybe be top shelf. perhaps you can edumicate me on it.

not every piece of gear is for everyone. the compass ,I do not know the brand but it seems to be pretty good & larger than the original firekit.

Quote Originally Posted by texastonydobbs View Post
    not every piece of gear is for everyone. the compass ,I do not know the brand but it seems to be pretty good & larger than the original firekit.
    thanks TT! the sad thing? as many fire kits as i have i still might get one of these. i like supporting ESEE. they make some serious quality gear.

Well finally! It's about friggin time these started making their way out to the market place...been waiting a year it seems, and putting off a project for months waiting on these.

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo View Post
    neat looking and neat setup. the downside? the price. $60?? you can find great quality fire starters for half or less....
    You can also buy some for about half or a little less that are a waste of money. I'm going to do a review of the solo scientific Aurora I bought a few months ago that is going to be the most depressing review I've done so far. If it works as well as every other piece of ESEE gear I have the $60.00 price tag doesn't worry me. The original ESEE fire kits are about $30.00 but don't store the ferro rod away from sweat or salt water so I don't mind paying more to have that capability, a larger compass, and a compass exposed without having to remove the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by texastonydobbs View Post
    You got that right. I still catch it for the Exotac life cap I have and its price tag. Sometimes I think maybe I place a higher value on my life than some do on theirs. That's ok though, I do like me
    History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals and many copies. ~Alexis de Tocqueville

B.H. #27

Awesome....looks very similar to mine~

I like this, been waiting for it for a good while. I don't mind the price tag. You (usually) get what you pay for, and I know ESEE has high quality stuff.

lol pitdog
    It's touchier than a Vatican summer camp in here-Expatriated
    Proud supporter of hard use knives
    Busse Combat, --- Oink soldier
    Horton Knives-- built for bad times
    Jk knives - your design or his.

That's pretty cool from ESEE; I wonder if you stored it with Vaseline soaked cotton balls would it help protect it from corroding if stored for long periods in more humid conditions?

The other fire-rods give me fire-rod envy; at least Pitdog doesn't let size intimidate him...it's not the size of your rod; it's the importance of fire-prep foreplay and the accuracy of your spark-stroking ignition!

ROCK6

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
    The other fire-rods give me fire-rod envy; at least Pitdog doesn't let size intimidate him...it's not the size of your rod; it's the importance of fire-prep foreplay and the accuracy of your spark-stroking ignition!

ROCK6
    haha!

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
    That's pretty cool from ESEE; I wonder if you stored it with Vaseline soaked cotton balls would it help protect it from corroding if stored for long periods in more humid conditions?

ROCK6
    Some people use petroleum jelly to protect metal surfaces so I wouldn't think it would actually hurt anything other than making the rod need to be wiped off before it could be scraped. I think the unit is o-ring sealed, and judging from the diameter of the rod and the fact that the handle of the old fire kit will fit inside the new one I'd say there should be room for several "fire-straws" inside.
    History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals and many copies. ~Alexis de Tocqueville

B.H. #27

Great looking gear! I'm building my collection, but not as fast as I would like to.

How advanced is it , does it have a built in whistle ?

A high pitched shilling shrilling sound is a great way to get attention when you´re lost !

Last edited by 1234; 03-17-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information