Thread: leather question

leather question

ADVERTISEMENT
    am gonna get some leather sheaths , but on the website it says "The sheaths are not sealed or finished " . am planning on dyeing the leather , so what should come first ?

1) dyeing
    2) sealing ?
    3) then condition ?

thanks very much

Dye first, wipe excess, & let dry

Soak in neatsfoot oil for a minute, wipe excess, & let dry

---If the sheath is not made specifically for your knife, you should shape it before doing any of the steps above. To shape it, wrap your blade with glad wrap / saran wrap, wet the sheath, insert the blade and use your fingers (clean wih nails clipped) to form the sheath around your blade, let dry a bit, pull and clean/lube your blade, let the sheath air dry completely (1-2 days)

Winston

Winston hit it just right......except PLEASE DO NOT "soak" in Neatsfoot oil. Apply the oil very sparingly using multiple coats if necessary, but do not soak or saturate the sheath with oil.

Paul
    Instructional DVDs now available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com/ ***New Fourth DVD "Folder Sheaths" is now available at the same web site***

Paul Long------108 Briarwood Ln. W------Kerrville, TX---78028-9311----830 367 5536 pfl@cebridge.net

thanks guys ,, this explained alot to me !!

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the info on the neatsfoot oil. I have finished one Jantz Supply sheath and two from scratch with stampwork so I definetly appreciate learning the right way to do it.

Thanks,

Winston

--Just ordered the instructional dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by sheathmaker View Post
    Winston hit it just right......except PLEASE DO NOT "soak" in Neatsfoot oil. Apply the oil very sparingly using multiple coats if necessary, but do not soak or saturate the sheath with oil.

Paul
    Last edited by rc75mhz; 03-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.

So, if I may piggy back on Vics question. Do you recommend casing and tooling before dyeing also? Or dye first and then case and tool?
    Many thanks
    Balding

Case and carve or tool prior to any dye job. Dyes, particularly black will semi seal and stiffen the leather slightly and make carving or tooling much more difficult and sub standard quality.

Paul
    Instructional DVDs now available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com/ ***New Fourth DVD "Folder Sheaths" is now available at the same web site***

Paul Long------108 Briarwood Ln. W------Kerrville, TX---78028-9311----830 367 5536 pfl@cebridge.net

In most cases, in all cases with me, I always carve and tool first then dye.

Reason being when you carve, or cut into, the leather you open a new layer of undyed leather. This is almost always undesirable as its difficult to match the color.

This does not apply to pre dyed leather obviously.

EDIT: Tandem posting with Paul, always uncomfortable.
    Dwayne Puckett

Quote for the week: Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde.

Thanks Paul and Leatherman. Paul, I have your 3 DVD's and thank you so much for taking the time to make them and share your knowledge. I wish I could be your apprentice.
    Cheers
    Balding

Heed my words Balding, you would NOT want to work for either one of us. We are our own worst bosses, just ask my wife. The way I treat myself in criticizing my work, I shudder to think what I'd do to an apprentices psyche. I also shudder to think what Paul would to with me under his tutelage.

My ears are burning, I'ma gonna stop talking now.
    Dwayne Puckett

Quote for the week: Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde.

Question for you Paul.....do you think it makes a difference to apply neetsfoot oil prior to dye, than after?
    I've been applying it before the dye....thinking that it would allow the dye to penetrate the leather a little more.
    Your thoughts?

Rick, I agree with you. I don't know if it really makes that much difference...can't prove it, but logic tells me the dye will penetrate better AND I know for sure the oil penetrates better because of the slight sealing nature of the dye. The oil carries the dye deeper, just as wetting the leather before dyeing will make for deeper and more even penetration.

Paul

I just gotta jump back in here again, since I've got the great minds right at my finger tips. OK, regarding the neetsfoot oil. Do you apply a light coat of neetsfoot oil and then immediately start dying? Or do you let it start to return to near original color like caseing?
    As far as working with you guys.........I've got 2 more years to retire at 28 years as an Air Force dentist. I have always strived for absolute perfection in my work. And after a completing a 2 year residency, after 8 years of college and dental school, I learned how to improve from constant criticism. I've just recently taken up leather working and find it to be a lot like dentistry (except I can do it without working upside down and backwords in a tiny mirror). I am finding that working leather is challenging, satisfying, and frustrating all wrapped into one. But I have always loved making things with my hands
    Thank you guys so much for making yourselves available and to be so willing to share your knowledge.
    Cheers
    Balding

Balding....I allow the neetsfoot oil to soak in for a few minutes before dyeing...maybe 10 minutes.....
    I was having problems with my projects cracking on me sometimes, when I bend it over to stitch.....then realized how much oil dye can dry out leather real quick.
    Since I've been doing the neetsfoot oil process, no more cracking.

Rayban
    Thanks so much for the quick reply! I learn so much from you guys. I feel like my skill level is improving but it's all about little hints like this that make me improve faster.
    Thanks
    Balding

Thread Information