Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Passaround! Sign up here

ADVERTISEMENT
    hey Mudbug - when it's my turn, if you want to head up this way and try it out, I won't complain if you stop at the Burn Co in Tulsa and grab some BBQ on the way. (I'm only about 4 hrs North of you on US-75)
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Got a name for this one from a forum member, "FattyCrafter"! Thanks 6shooter.

Mrn, Im sure I have your address saved but would you mind shooting me an email to Kfuknives@gmail.com just to make sure. You are the 1st!
    Last edited by KFU; 03-17-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden
    Come join our forum!http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...andmade-Knives
    Like me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/KFU-Kn...19027924948726

In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    thank goodness i didnt see this earlier. Dunno if my fingers can survive another passaround unless its the roach belly or the camp knife. Then, well, a few fingers is a worthy sacrifice to give those blades a shot

FattyCrafter...nice.

Sent you that email.

I watched a Youtbube video...I can get it done!

I was thinking of "The Wander" if you are adding it as part of the standard offerings. I'll have a better feel for it when in hand. I see this knife and it makes me want to throw it on my belt and head for the woods for a walk. The finish on the blade somewhat wanders from smooth to rough with no defenitive line drawn between the grind. The wood colors and grain do the same. I know if you are making it with micarta or g10 then the material may not have the same effect. Seeing how the colors of the wood move from light to dark it appears the grain of the wood is looking for it's place on the handle. I really like it. This is one of the few wood grain handles I would be interested in owning.

I am probably to "hippie" right now, but I am zenning out before the wonderful world of 150 emails per day and 23 conference calls for the week begins.

If you decide to offer it as standard or as a custom, what steel would you use?

I got in to work today after a couple of much needed days off and the fatty crafter was waiting for me. This is on nice knife, Chris! I think it addresses the one small problem I have with the bushpik, which is the grip size. I'll take it out in the woods today and do some basic bushcraft tasks and report back with pictures.

I watched a Youtbube video...I can get it done!

Good to hear man. Let us know how you like it.
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden

The Fattycrafter is in Connecticut, Pics and review to follow.

Cool, let us know what you think joseph
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden

love the looks of the knife, chris. patiently waiting for pics, reviews, etc. hint, hint (ahem).

(thanks guys)

I was just comparing the handle shape of this to my spyderco bushcraft and they are very similar. I can see how this thing should be very comfortable and the added width should fit my hand better too. I'll have to do a few comparison pictures when this thing gets to me.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't.........you're right

The Fattycrafter, The name makes me smile every time I think of it.

The first thing I noticed was the comfortable handle, I wear a medium size glove but the large handle was still very comfortable though would definitely need to be smaller for the general population, But Chris did make it to fit his hand.
    The next thing was the small guard but again, I believe Chris prefers small or no blade guard.
    And, I immediately noticed that the handle shape instinctively caused my hand to set full forward towards the blade making the handle shape perfect for bushcraft work where choking up on the knife blade is ideal.
    I also noticed that the shape of the blade is almost identical to blade shape of the Bark River Aurora which is of course, A bushcraft knife, The Fattycrafter blade is 4 1/4" which is just about perfect for bushcraft, Some may prefer longer blades of 4 1/2 to 5 inches but I prefer around 3 1/2 to 4 inches.
    The handle is absolutely beautiful in appearance, Even nicer than the pictures Chris posted.
    I also noticed that the spine had not been stamped with the KFU/USA mark, No big deal though since once again it is Chris's personal knife.
    I was unfortunately not able to really put the knife through the paces since I had two dental procedures over the past two weeks which required me to take prescription drugs to deal with the pain but I know it will perform more than adequately at bushcraft chores since the overall design of the Fattycrafter is just about "Bushcraft Perfection" in my opinion.
    Hopefully, tinwiskers or the other passaround participants will be able to give this fine knife a proper run through and post a more informative review.
    All in all, I like it, A little thinner handle would be ideal but other than that and maybe a little more of a blade guard, I consider it to be a perfect bushcraft knife.
    And I love the wood used for the handle. Really sweet!!!

Here are some comparison pics:

KFU Small Bushcrafter and Fattycrafter

Becker BK-2 and Fattycrafter

Cold Steel Master Hunter and Fattycrafter

And Becker BK-2, CS Master Hunter, Fiddleback Forge Bushfinger and the Fattycrafter

Thanks Chris for the passaround and for another awesome knife!!!
    I look forward to your future creations.
    God Bless!!
    Joseph

i love this knife. thanks for sharing mtn wildman.

Quote Originally Posted by TPVT View Post
    i love this knife. thanks for sharing mtn wildman.
    It's nice to share!!

The Fattycrafter is now in my hands. Hope to give it the rounds and take some pictures for the review later next week before passing it on. initial reactions: Love it how it feels in the hand, very beefy!
    RAT PACK #95
    My RAT Picture Gallery

SPYDIE FANATIC #020
    My Spyderco Picture Gallery

Cool!! Shouldn't be too long before I get to play with it. I'm really looking forward to it too. I'm gonna try and make some good use of it. Everything is thawed out around here, so I should be able to go play in the trees across the street some.

Tiniwiskers, I spose I should get you my address. PM headed your way.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't.........you're right

Oh goody, then me!! I'm looking forward to it.
    Someday is today. Make your life count; don't just count the days.
    Proud Supporter of JK knives #2

I seriously can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Cool Joseph! It sucks you weren't able to give it a workout but valid points from playing with it. Like you mentioned, it was made for my hands and it is beeeeefy. I didn't realize how big it was until you put it next to the Bushfinger and BK2. That wood is awesome stuff. Its got that earthy ugly look to it which I like. Tinwiskers, I look forward to hearing what you think of it. I forgot to put up Mrns review but in a nutshell he liked the knife but felt the handle was a little slick with gloved hands.
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden

I have had a good week with the Fattycrafter and I didn't get as many pictures of it as I would have liked I will post up what I have soon with a short review(I really really liked it BTW).

I will have it boxed up and ready to ship out to the next person this coming Monday

EDIT: USPS 9107785091401683047475
    Last edited by tinwiskers; 04-30-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: shipping DC
    RAT PACK #95
    My RAT Picture Gallery

SPYDIE FANATIC #020
    My Spyderco Picture Gallery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information