Thread: Condor Bushlore vs. Mora

Condor Bushlore vs. Mora

ADVERTISEMENT
    I figured these are two inexpensive, good quality knives that are both popular-Mora a bit more so but I just wanted to hear what you think about both. Which do you own, prefer, use most. Which is easiest to maintain in home and in the field. In regards to steel-which is better, Condor's 1075 or Mora's UHB-20 and/or Triflex. Now I own a triflex and it was the sharpest knife I ever felt out of the box but it dulled after simply cutting open a couple boxes and a few lengths of 550 cord which I didn't really like and I'm sure it will be easy to sharpen once i get a good sharpener. So just talk about these two knives in their entirety. I haven't yet bought a Bushlore but the green micarta handle version is calling my name. I now own a 2nd mora with a 5-3/4" blade and look forward to putting it to use. I have a feeling this thread will be long and informative.
    Here's some pics for a bit of extra goodness
    31Apj43QQ8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31LYEfpU8kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    CTK-CATALOGUE-4_06.jpg

I find that Condor's 1075 holds an edge longer for me, but that's mostly a function of the slightly convex edge geometry, which is less prone to damage than the (very slight) hollow grind of the Mora. All three knives listed are excellent, but in very different respects. The Bushlore is the most durable and stout of the three, and has the most lively balance. It's also the heaviest.

Rather than considering the Clipper, I suggest the newer Companion. The sheath is much improved.

Between the wood-handled and micarta Bushlores the micarta is definitely worth it, though they're both fantastic knives for the money.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

I like the more solid feel of the condor. I am not an ultra-lite camper so weight to me is not allways bad.

If I could only choose one of the three it'd be the micarta Bushlore.

— Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    the (very slight) hollow grind of the Mora.
    Huh? I thought all Mora's are all have scandi grind. I learn new stuff on BF every day.

Never handled a condor, but can tell you; Some moras are inexpensive slicers made of good stainless sweden steel. I guess if you go by the money, the mora wins.
    If you want quality, I'd give the condor a shot - Especially the micarta one. Heard good things about the Kephart and the Garuda as well.

The Condor Bushlore as better ergonomic and feeling in hand, also the Bushlore is 1/8 of thickness & full tang wich can take a bit more abuse than a 2mm thick Not full tang like Mora/s!

I own a carbon clipper, and a normal wooden bushlore. I don't have TONS of use on the bushlore yet, but here is what I think so far.

The moras blade is thinner for sure, also, the scandi grind appears to help it "bite" more in really hard wood. The Moras handle is smaller (doesn't fill the hand as well), and it is lighter, as well as being somewhat smaller.

The Bushlore is a beefier knife. The spine is thicker, the tang is full and exposed, and it also weighs a bit more. The handle is larger, but perhaps not quite perfectly shaped (mayb e I don't have enough work time with it yet, but it gives me a few hotspots after longer amount of work. The fit and finish on it is "acceptable". My bushlore has a messed up grind from the factory (slight recurve), and it seemed to be harder to put an edge on. I like the sheath much better for the Bushlore, but do wish they had the belt loop sewed on differently.

The Mora to me seems like a great secondary knife. It does detail work great and it is super easy to sharpen up.

The Bushlore is an excellent choice for an all around belt knife. It might not be quite as good at the little tiny work, but I'll trust it much more with the "medium" work than I would the Mora.

Hope that helps some .
    Last edited by ocnLogan; 03-18-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by short View Post
    Huh? I thought all Mora's are all have scandi grind. I learn new stuff on BF every day.

Never handled a condor, but can tell you; Some moras are inexpensive slicers made of good stainless sweden steel. I guess if you go by the money, the mora wins.
    If you want quality, I'd give the condor a shot - Especially the micarta one. Heard good things about the Kephart and the Garuda as well.
    Yup--Moras have the tiniest amount of hollow to the grind which is eliminated after the first few sharpenings.

Not sure how you've heard good things about the Kephart and Garuda, though, as they aren't out just yet. Opinions at the moment are all speculative.

— Mervyn Peake

Condor all day...The Mora is the ugliest knife ever.
    Last edited by STi; 03-23-2013 at 08:24 PM.

About the Mora : their synthetic handles are plenty ugly but are rated as very pleasant to use. My twopence are about the wooden handled Moras. Best cutters ever (sweedish steel is unbeatable), very light and a joy to use. The "ugly" barrel shaped handle (birch wood) gives the most versatile and pleasant grip ever. I own a Classic Original N°1. A definite keeper. I also own several small Condors : the steel is good stuff (but way under the Mora laminated steel = razor). They are the heavy version of an EDC fixed blade. Strong, heavy, reliable (occasionnaly pry your garage door open - check), and they are not ugly : the redwood / walnut handle can be filed, polished and shaped to your liking. With care and patience, you should even be able to hone out a very good cutting edge. Their leather sheaths (supplied with the knife) are the best you will ever get in this price range. In comparison, the plastic or "vulcanized fiber" sheaths of the Moras are a pure joke : definitely functional, indeed, but ugly as hell.

Thread Information