Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Next two on the bench...Twins!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Did a little work on the "tail" and the ring guard has to be redone with thicker stock, that's why you see it sticking out here.
    Cleaned the plunges a bit and reworked the clip a little.
    I also did the alignment pins for the guard/handle fit as I decided to keep this one a take-down.
    I am starting to really like what it will end-up looking like.

Patrice Lemée

Cool!

Rattlesnake skin inlay would look awesome on the sheath, the pommel reminds me of a rattlesnake tail.
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Daniel, like I told you in chat, my leather working skills are not good enough for doing inlays. But I'll do my best to match the sheath to the Rattler's theme.

Thanks for the good words.
    Patrice Lemée

That is so very cool looking. Great job Patrice!!

Looks awesome Patrice! Can't wait I see the finished product.

Very nice work Pat. Cant wait to see your finished work.

-Jim

Thanks for the good words guys.
    I like it very much and I am tempted to keep it as my personal carry knife.
    But then again I need money for tools so it might go up for sale. We'll see.
    Patrice Lemée

Nice tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrice Lemée View Post
    Daniel, like I told you in chat, my leather working skills are not good enough for doing inlays. But I'll do my best to match the sheath to the Rattler's theme.

Hey Patrice if you want a rattler theme for the sheath just let me know. I'd be happy to use my 130w Co2 laser to engrave a wicked rattler theme. No charge.

Here is a sheath I did a few months back. The detail is truly impressive. PM me if your interested.

The knife looks amazing BTW.

That looks great William and I do appreciate the offer. I'll give it a go to see what I can come up with and if I am not satisfied, I'll take you up on it.
    Now I want a laser too.

Patrice Lemée

Redid the ring portion of the guard but I don't like it that much. Well I like some parts of it but something just doesn't look right. Can't put my finger on it.

Patrice Lemée

ha ive figured out the problem thats not my hand in the picture

I was gonna say that could be remedied Mike but you are already contributing to the "Poor Knifemaker in need of tools" fund.
    Thanks.
    Patrice Lemée

I hate to say it, Patrice, but I'm still not loving the pommel. Part of the problem I have is that now that you've carved it the join between it and the handle isn't smooth. Also, the hole in the bottom... I don't know... just doesn't work for me. I know this is a take-down and you needed a way to bury the bolt, so to speak. But the hole just looks odd. Also, the tier of knobby bits nearest the handle seem out of proportion with the other tiers (smaller).

I don't want to tell you how to do your thing, but I felt I owed you honest feedback.

Greg, I know it is not perfect, I can't say I love it all as it is. But I'll try and fiddle with it some more to see if I can't blend it all together better. I do like the overall feel and look of the knife.
    As for the rounded corners, I thought it worked here as this is how the rings look like on a rattlesnake and with the time already invested in this knife, it lets me be a little more lax as far as fit is concerned. There are still alignment pins in the guard and pommel to keep things generally in the right place.

And don't worry, feedback is one of the main reasons I post in here. Well that and shameless fishing for ego boosting compliments of course.
    Patrice Lemée

While I am working on the Kukri's design I thought I'd give finishing this one a try. I did a little shaping on the handle but it still needs some work. The thing that is bugging me the most is the guard. It is a little overwhelming on a smallish knife such as this but I like it and want to keep it. I'll see how I can refine it so it blends in a little more. I will use that type of ring guard on a larger knife in the future, that's for sure.
    I still have to refinish the blade, finish carving the pommel and make a stainless screw to replace the temporary mild steel one.

Patrice Lemée

Stockton, CA - We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
    Patrice, I think if you thinned down the ring guard a bit in thickness towards the end it will help it look lighter. It reminds me of some of the fancy trigger guards on old rifles.

-Xander

That is a really good idea Xander, thanks. You would not have a picture of the type of riffle guard you are talking about? I am always on the lookout for ideas for future knives.
    Patrice Lemée

Stockton, CA - We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
    Here are. Couple quick pics I sourced from Google images, but if you do an image search for "ornate trigger guard" you will get lots of good results.

-Xander

maybe if you make the guard longer, same size loop, and then bend it along the curve of the handle in a mortise so it would sit flush?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information