Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic.... I got a gig (shameless self promotion post).

ADVERTISEMENT

"Mayberry USA"

This is a shot of James (my neighbor's son) and his buddies fishing. I gave the print to James and it is hanging on his bedroom wall.

"We Remember"

Shot in a local cemetary - the oldest in the county and one of the oldest in the state. Some of the flags are marking the graves of soldiers from the Revolutionary War. I have sold one print.

"Scarlett Tears"

Shot in my front yard. I sold one print.

"6808"

Shot in Nebraska. I sold one print of this shot. I love it.

"564"

Shot in Nebraska. I sold the print to a College Photography teacher; she bought it to use in her class as a teaching tool. Imagine that - someone who teaches photography (in a College) using a shot, taken by someone who never took a single lesson in photography, as a tool to teach her students about proper lighting and composition. That was, without a doubt, the single greatest compliment I've ever received. Once I learned why she wanted the print, I tried to give it to her, but she refused and insisted on paying for it. She even asked me if I'd be willing to come to her class and answer questions from her students (I declined the offer, but thanked her profusely).

Thanks for looking at my shots. I've got more, but decided that I've probably posted too many as it is. Anyway - the above shots are included in those shots I'll likely consider submitting for display purposes. Some probably won't make the cut, but some certainly will, as I try to boil it down to the shots I think have the best chance of actually selling.

Let me know which shots you liked, which shots you don't like, and why...

It helps me decide which shots to include.

Thanks again.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    Hi Tahts -

Very sweet!

I learned something a while back when I was in Florida snapping shots on vacation.

I was staying at the house of a couple that we know, and the lady of the house saw some of my pictures and loved them for the colors - she needed something with certain colors in it to hang in particular rooms. What I learned is that the colors are more important than the subject and/or "correct" composition.

Your composition is excellent, along with the colors - as evidenced above.

The prints that she wanted ( and that I printed at 11x14 for her and framed) were as follows (and these are "webified, not at original res of course)

Clouds look really blown out in this version.

I don't "name" my shots too often, but this one I called "What the gecko saw", as I was laying on the sidewalk in someone's landscaping scaring off gecko's to get the angle I wanted.

The rest of these were not printed, but I liked them -

This one came out pretty crisp -

A little off-plane, but still a lot of interest and decent bokeh -

This was shot at Thanksgiving last year - one of my granddaughters kittens -

I hope you don't mind me cluttering up your thread -

best

mqqn

I'm glad you did post your shots. I can see why she wanted them. That first shot really "pops" nicely - to me it just defines summer.

I love the street shot as well. It's busy, yet inviting and friendly.

And the kitten shot is just adorable. I wish it were mine (both the shot and the kitten).

Post more. I love looking at pictures and I usually learn something in the process.

Blog Entries
    Hi Mike -

I love the boots shot - Just a great shot. I also like the "dock of the bay" - great color and that would look great in the right room - very warm.

I never do any processing of my photos - I am just not skilled enough to do that kind of alteration of the shot.

I am a train lover, and I have been taking train photos for 25 years - I could bomb this thread with train shots - but I will refrain.

I used to send shots to TRP - but never got one published - that was back when I took 35mm slides - and I still have a ton of slides.

Thanks for posting your shots - now I can see why your knife photos stand out!

Feel free to help us take better knife shots if you have time!

best

mqqn

Quote Originally Posted by eisman View Post
    You might want to look in the Photography section; there's a ad for someone to take professional photos of knives.
    Thanks.

I took a look and I'm going to do some thinking about it. I do have the lighting equipment, but I'm not really comfortable using it. I need more practice with auxilary lighting (I almost always shoot with available light). I think maybe I'll set up my lightbox one of these days and seeing if I like doing that kind of photography.
    Last edited by Tahts-a-dats-ago; 03-25-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Hi Mike -

I love the boots shot - Just a great shot. I also like the "dock of the bay" - great color and that would look great in the right room - very warm.

I never do any processing of my photos - I am just not skilled enough to do that kind of alteration of the shot.

I am a train lover, and I have been taking train photos for 25 years - I could bomb this thread with train shots - but I will refrain.

I used to send shots to TRP - but never got one published - that was back when I took 35mm slides - and I still have a ton of slides.

Thanks for posting your shots - now I can see why your knife photos stand out!

Feel free to help us take better knife shots if you have time!

best

mqqn

Thank you very much. I think the shot of my boots would sell well back in Nebraska. Here, in NJ, not so much I guess.

Photo editing is actually fairly easy to do, but I do find it to be very time consuming. I always shoot in raw so I have to do some editing. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, but sometimes I can spend an hour (or more) on one shot.

I'd love to see your train shots. Please post them.

I really want to capture a wintery shot of a steam engine one of these days. I have the shot in my mind; now it's just a matter of making it happen.

It's funny about the knife shots. I tend to prefer natural lighting and outdoors shots for subjects like that, but the general trend is a whitebox type of shot. Those shots are great, and there are some amazing photographers (here) displaying their work, but it just isn't my thing. It's hard to explain really: I think their shots are incredible, but those types of shots just don't speak to my soul. I like the darker shots - those shots that talk to me on a deeper level and give the subject a soul.

I doubt that I'll ever achieve my goal, but I'd like every shot (I show) to envoke some sort of deep emotional feeling in the viewer. I'd be completely estatic if I reach the point where one of my shots makes people cry when they see it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you 100% that the outdoor, naturally lit shots are nicer - at least I think so. The light-box shots have their place, but you would never get a shot like this in a lightbox

best

mqqn

I agree with you 100% that the outdoor, naturally lit shots are nicer - at least I think so. The light-box shots have their place, but you would never get a shot like this in a lightbox

best

mqqn
    That is just incredible. I love that shot. It perfectly demonstrates what I was attempting to say. When I look at that shot I not only see a knife, I see myself using that knife, I see the moss covered log and the life around that log. I see a stream or lake nearby and I see a campfire at night with fresh caught trout slowly cooking to perfection. That is what I was talking about.

Great shot. It makes me want to go outside. It makes me want to live life to its fullest. And perhaps most important - as far as John is concerned anyway - it makes me want that knife which promises me all of the above.

Mike,
    The cattle shot is outstanding. You do have an eye. I like the way they capture a mood, a feeling in a simple, direct way without complicztions. When i say simple i don't mean simplistic; it is hard for artist to edit themselves and just keep what is essential.
    I like the insects and the "creepy" shots, and the feet...which for me is relaxation. I love to go around the housevwithout shoes and my wife after me about bringing dust and dirt wherever i put my feet. Very good photography

I like the cow, "564" i think, "still standing", and "used to be home". But I'm a sucker for and old house shot and pictures that confirm my theory that animals are secretly judging us, jk . I also think natural light is the best way to go, you pit a lot of time effort and skill into all of thee and it shows.

thanks for sharing this was a great way to start a Sunday morning, , i feel ready for the day now

Very, very, nice!

My avatar is my Grandaughter, Hanna, who is battling leukemia.

R.I.P udtjim - One Of The Good Guys

Visit My Web Store
    http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/webstore/

Visit My Forum In The Makers Section
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

Blog Entries
    I like the nature shots but "still standing", and "used to be home" and the train are really evocative, they make we want to know 'what happened there'.

Bay Sunset reminded me of a stanza of a poem of mine:

As crowded stalks of cattails mark my passage,
    brushed aside and shedding fluff to every breeze,
    the birds disturbed as I invade their nesting grounds
    fly out above the foam as I approach the sea.

Thanks Tahts for posting your photos, They all have a lot of meaning to them and makes my mind drift from my surroundings .
    John Smith

Nice photos guys. I especially like shots of insects/wild animals for some reason. I also like it when only one color is present and the rest is in grayscale

Blog Entries
    Hi Taht's -

Here are a couple that I converted from slide (or maybe these were 35mm film, can't remember now) -

The Auto-train pulling the hill at Houlihan's Curve, Edelstein Illinois -

I caught one part of the three-train mail-train intermodal meeting the Southwest Chief in Edelstein. The new Amtrak Genesis engines were only a couple of weeks old when this was taken. This was the Thanksgiving day train, so there was an extra baggage car. I love to use zoom compression to get more train in the photo.

This one was in Centralia Illinois at the yard. This young fellow came up the tracks kicking a can, and I snapped the shot as the boy stopped to look up at the engineer. I have never sold an image, but this one and a couple of others were hanging on the wall of a local sandwich shop and then later in an antique mall.

This one has a hidden surprise if you look closely. This was part of a mail train, and these trains travel at 60-70mph in this section when headed down the hill.

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

tahts....first, congrats on your new endeavors. awesome. and wow...great pics. as has already been stated, that cattle shot is amazing. and, i'll tell you what...the restauranteur chose wisely....i want some french toast. thanks for posting some personal stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by Esav Benyamin View Post
    Bay Sunset reminded me of a stanza of a poem of mine:

As crowded stalks of cattails mark my passage,
    brushed aside and shedding fluff to every breeze,
    the birds disturbed as I invade their nesting grounds
    fly out above the foam as I approach the sea.

That is incredible Esav. It perfectcly describes life along the bay here in southern New Jersey. If you don't mind, I'd love to read the rest of your poem.

Hi Taht's -

Here are a couple that I converted from slide (or maybe these were 35mm film, can't remember now) -

The Auto-train pulling the hill at Houlihan's Curve, Edelstein Illinois -

I can't begin telling you how good this shot is. It breaks the "rules" (of thirds) and has the subject (sharp and in focus) dead in the center - but that is the reason this shot is magical. In composing the shot the way you have, the viewer's eyes follow the path of the train automatically. I really like this shot. I think it is fantastic.

While this shot follows the "rules" in a much more conventional way, it differs from conventional train shots in the way it shows how close the two trains are. It's a view into the norm that most people simply don't really think about and it works wonderfully.

This one was in Centralia Illinois at the yard. This young fellow came up the tracks kicking a can, and I snapped the shot as the boy stopped to look up at the engineer. I have never sold an image, but this one and a couple of others were hanging on the wall of a local sandwich shop and then later in an antique mall.
    I can see why this would warrant display - it is superb. Truly a magnificent shot, one that instantly reminds me of my own childhood and the wonder I held for trains and the men who ran them. In some ways it reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting: a shot of ordinary life and full of wonderment because of it. That is one of the best shots I've ever seen. I would be immensely proud to call that one of my own. I would love to see it in Black & White.

This one has a hidden surprise if you look closely. This was part of a mail train, and these trains travel at 60-70mph in this section when headed down the hill.

best

mqqn
    I had to do a bit of looking before I saw the guy standing so close to the train. It is a wonder that he wasn't "sucked" into the side of the train. Very nice shot.

Thanks for posting some of your train shots. I hope you'll post more.

Do you still shoot film?

I do occasionally, but it is mostly digital for me.

I was given two Mamyia medium format cameras last fall and I'm in the slow process of learning how to shoot them (both are film). The detail is absolutely incredible, but they've got a fairly steep learning curve (for me anyway). I'm hoping to someday master them, and use them for landscape photography.

Thanks to all for your comments. I deeply appreciate them. Hopefully some of you will see fit to post your own shots - I'd love to see them.

I'll try to check back later tonight; I've got to work on editing shots now and later I'll be shooting more at the restaurant.

Mike

Blog Entries
    thanks Mike! That is great praise, especially coming from you.

I don't shoot film anymore - but we still have my wife's setup that I used to use - she did wedding photography for some time, and I would use her Minolta 35mm when I could. I had thought about taking it out and shooting some film while metering with my Nikon to get the settings - that might be fun, but getting film printed/developed is getting more and more expensive.

The fellow in the last shot is not very close to the train - he was standing on a post about 20 feet from the roadway, and about 5 feet in the air.

He was a kind of goofy fellow, but he was a good train and mushroom hunting companion.

Thanks again for the praise. I will have to dig out that B&N shots negative out - I think I used to call that one "hey mister" or something corny like that .

If I recall, the engineer was switching a long freight into the yard in Centralia, and he told the kid he was not supposed to be out on the tracks. TRP did not like the shot because it represented a safety violation (child playing on the tracks).

best

mqqn
    Last edited by mqqn; 03-26-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Mike -

Here are a few more shots that I have taken that I thought were good -

This one I took at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green - it is of one of the original Motorama cars, that is to say, the prototype Corvette, and it is one of my favorite shots that I have taken -

This was after a bad ice storm here in central Illinois - just a tree in my yard -

Gerbera daisy in the morning in my yard -

This one I took from my truck with my Evo 4g cell phone - you don't need a great camera to get a nice shot -

Some food pictures - I take these just for my web site and friends so they can see the awesome foods my wife and I enjoy on our vacations
    Margarita's at Casa Don Juan Las Vegas

Appetizer trio at the Top of the World in the Stratosphere in Vegas - I ate this a couple of days ago.

Followed by this magnificent Filet - yum!!

Please do show some more of your pictures and food pics are welcome!

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

That "burning sky" picture of yours reminded me of one I took in Oct of '08...it was when those wildfires were going on in California (coincidence??)...I hadn't seen a sky like this ever....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information