Thread: a suggestion for buying in the sales forum

a suggestion for buying in the sales forum

ADVERTISEMENT
    I buy a few things online from various places as well as ebay. I found a free program that I installed on my computer and it allows me to essentially print to a PDF file, so when I buy something I print the last page with the details of the transaction to a PDF file and store it on my computer. With ebay the sales item will stay on their server for some length of time but I suppose I could print that to a PDF and save it longer if I wanted.

I recently bought an item on the bladeforums sales forum and when I received it the item didn't match my memory of the sales ad on the forum. I went back and found the original ad but the original poster had removed details of the sale from the ad. After other research I discovered that my recollection of the details was somehow wrong because the exact combination of the item that I thought I was receiving was never manufactured. If I had printed the for sale thread to a PDF file and saved it this would have saved me from improperly questioning the integrity of the seller. As it turned out the seller did not do anything wrong.

The program that I use to print to PDF is called "cutepdf" and can be easily found with an internet search, but there are other similar programs available. You can always just save the webpage directly from your browser but this is more unwieldy. Printing to a PDF captures everything into one file and also would make it difficult for you to tamper with it later on.
    Last edited by bdmicarta; 03-27-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmicarta View Post
    I buy a few things online from various places as well as ebay. I found a free program that I installed on my computer and it allows me to essentially print to a PDF file, so when I buy something I print the last page with the details of the transaction to a PDF file and store it on my computer. With ebay the sales item will stay on their server for some length of time but I suppose I could print that to a PDF and save it longer if I wanted.

I recently bought an item on the bladeforums sales forum and when I received it the item didn't match my memory of the sales ad on the forum. I went back and found the original ad but the original poster had removed details of the sale from the ad. After other research I discovered that my recollection of the details was somehow wrong because the exact combination of the item that I thought I was receiving was never manufactured. If I had printed the for sale thread to a PDF file and saved it this would have saved me from improperly questioning the integrity of the seller. As it turned out the seller did not do anything wrong.

The program that I use to print to PDF is called "cutepdf" and can be easily found with an internet search, but there are other similar programs available. You can always just save the webpage directly from your browser but this is more unwieldy. Printing to a PDF captures everything into one file and also would make it difficult for you to tamper with it later on.
    I may be wrong, but if you quote the OP when you post your "I'll take it" in the sales thread, that quote (see above) will remain "frozen" even if the seller later edits or removes his OP.
    I have done this on at least one occasion.
    Stu

When I commit to Buying something here on Bladeforums I save the listing / webpage to my local PC (in the Browser= File / Save As). I will also save any high resolution linked pictures individually.

If I'm Selling something when Sold I mark it as SPF or Sold and don't change anything in the body of the listing until the Buyer has recieved and approved of the item. Then I delete the price (what the buyer paid is between me and him).

Mitch
    The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Quote Originally Posted by braillediver View Post
    When I commit to Buying something here on Bladeforums I save the listing / webpage to my local PC (in the Browser= File / Save As). I will also save any high resolution linked pictures individually.
    I have done that before too, but then I realized if I print to a PDF then I have everything in one file. But if the photos are good I might download and save those separately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmicarta View Post
    I have done that before too, but then I realized if I print to a PDF then I have everything in one file. But if the photos are good I might download and save those separately.
    One thing to note is that you should always use caution when using someone else's photos. Many might not mind, but you can literally open a hornet's nest in the blink of an eye. I would be a little twirked if someone copied my picture and tried to pass it off as their own. It has happened to me before. I saw my photo of an Umnumzaan used in someone's sale thread.

Thread Information