Thread: Light My Fire (Mora) Swedish FireKnife Review link

Light My Fire (Mora) Swedish FireKnife Review link

ADVERTISEMENT
    (mods, I normally repost reviews here but this thing is a monster, so I'm just posting a link for now. Will try and repost in the review section as soon as I get time, thanks)

Light My Fire (Mora) Swedish FireKnife Review link:
    http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogsp...a-swedish.html

Lovely review, sir! I'm quite excited about these.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Lovely review, sir! I'm quite excited about these.
    Thanks FortyTwo. I'm going to start carrying one of these in the summer when I need to trim weight while backpacking. Really cool knife.

Cheers, CW

great review , good idea on the light my fire on the handle , thinking of getting the orange one ,,

Quote Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
    great review , good idea on the light my fire on the handle , thinking of getting the orange one ,,
    Thanks Vic. Light My Fire sent me an extra Black Fireknife and Tinder on a Rope, so I'm going to doing a giveaway on my blog soon. It's not orange but free if you win.

These look sweet. I'll probably get one.
    Someday is today. Make your life count; don't just count the days.
    Proud Supporter of JK knives #2

Quote Originally Posted by coloradowildman View Post
    (mods, I normally repost reviews here but this thing is a monster, so I'm just posting a link for now. Will try and repost in the review section as soon as I get time, thanks)

Light My Fire (Mora) Swedish FireKnife Review link:
    http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogsp...a-swedish.html
    Seriously, I would have liked you to have just pasted the review in the first place, then linked the original, so I could see both sets of comments. What has the edge retention been like?

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Seriously, I would have liked you to have just pasted the review in the first place, then linked the original, so I could see both sets of comments. What has the edge retention been like?
    Hi,

I can't just paste it over. It takes several hours of formatting something of this size, plus I have to upload all the pics to a third party site and then relink each one. In other words, it's a massive pain in the arse I am working on a large project right now so my time has been at a premium, but I will try and post it here when I get done in a few weeks.

As for edge retention, it's just like my other Moras with 12C27-- excellent for a low cost stainless and similar to 1095 carbon steel.

Cheers,

CW

i may have missed this but when does this come out?

Stirling review there sir.

I'm very much a fan of these knives, the Mora 2000 especially.
    Its nice to see the evolution if its double grinds on this new model.

Am looking forward to getting my hands on some for the grab bag.

Thanks for sharing.
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

very cool, thanks for the review!

Got a few on the way for the shop in black and red. Should be landing on Monday so I'll post my thoughts when they arrive.

— Mervyn Peake

Sweet! I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of these Looks like a nice backup.

Can someone explain to me the modified scandi grind? What's going on near the tip?

And how much are these anticipated to go for?

Ben, if you pick up orange, I'll probably be getting a couple from you

My distributor only has the black and red right now--totally would have gotten the other colors if they had them. Said distributor is one of the biggest in the knife world, so it makes me wonder if they haven't released runs of the others yet? The modified scandi looks to reduce the shoulder of the edge at the tip for food prep and other slicing tasks. Good thing, too. Ever try slicing a carrot with a standard Mora? It just breaks 'em. Though soft targets like meat, cheese, and what have you are easily cut.

Can't wait to see 'em tomorrow.

— Mervyn Peake

Ok--got them in and I can honestly say that I am more than impressed! The ergos are great, like most Moras, and those with concern about the pommel/firesteel coming out of the handle can rest assured that it's pretty much impossible. It clicks into place even BEFORE being twisted! The thinned grind at the tip looks like it'll do very nicely for food prep and other fine slicing tasks. The spine is nice and squared and I can tell it'll throw sparks like no tomorrow.

It's a very nice little package, and I'm very excited to have them in the shop! They should go up on the site in the next couple of days.

— Mervyn Peake

Sounds good. My Moras fill a niche for me, and these will be a nice addition. I'll be looking around for orange guys.

I've never had any Mora with these combo grinds, so I'm looking forward to seeing if they're as versatile in use as they appear to be.

Thread Information