Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Western W49 Bowie

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    IS Coleman on the sheath or on the knife blade it self?

Coleman began putting their name in conjunction with "WESTERN" around 1985, they had used up the WESTERN only stamped sheaths.

I have NEVER seen a W49 with COLEMAN stamped on the blade. Would love to see pics of that.

To my knowledge, Coleman only used Western's 1095 Cro-Van formulation of steel, as when they acquired the company, they simply kept using the equipment, facilities and contracts Western already had in place.

AFTER Camillus bought the company around 1992, they moved all operations to Camillus NY and started using their primary high carbon steel, which I have been told was 0170-6C. Camillus shifted the W49 to SS after only a couple of years. 1994 or 1995, IIRC.
    Last edited by zzyzzogeton; 05-25-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    The only time you have too much ammunition is when your house is on fire. - Anonymous
    "A Folding Blade is a Bleeding Finger" - Zzyzzogeton
    Beckerhead #346 KaBar Krew #17

I am watching two western w49 knifes marked k on ebay one is a Coleman Western with a mirrored blade. The other is a Western non polished blade. How can this be? Any information that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I have two of the Coleman Western w49 Bowie knifes and they are not stamped on the blade, only on the sheaths.

It has Coleman stamped on the blade? What year is it ?

They would be blade marked like this with the year date codes of H thru O for 84-91.

Quote Originally Posted by tdbench View Post
    I am watching two western w49 knifes marked k on ebay one is a Coleman Western with a mirrored blade. The other is a Western non polished blade. How can this be? Any information that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
    All the blades left the factory with a "standard polish finish" that will be reflective, but not what I would "mirror". If one is really "mirror polished", it has been made so post-factory.

Quote Originally Posted by tdbench View Post
    I have two of the Coleman Western w49 Bowie knifes and they are not stamped on the blade, only on the sheaths.
    I frequently see 1964 to 1976 made W49s in sheaths stamped "WESTERN" or "COLEMAN/WESTERN", which are obvious marriages of sheathless knives and a knifeless sheathes.

The earliest I have been able to confirm a WESTERN stamped sheath is the "B", or 1978, versions. Both of my "A"s came with a typical, bare W49 sheath. I have a "B" in a bare sheath and one in a "WESTERN" stamped sheath. I assume from these 2 sheaths that the "B"s started getting made before Western ran out of the bare sheaths in inventory.

I've seen similar scenarios with "H" knives.

Quote Originally Posted by sac troop View Post
    They would be blade marked like this with the year date codes of H thru O for 84-91.

I am still looking for a W49 with either an "N" or "O" stamp. I have several "N" and a few "O" stamped knives, but I have never even seen a W49 so marked.
    The only time you have too much ammunition is when your house is on fire. - Anonymous

Z, I've had hands on to several W49's with date codes from M to O, with two of them being O marked, so they are out there. Also saw detailed picture of O dated set of W45 thru W49, he was trying to torture me.
    Another picture of the knife I posted above. This knife did come from the factory this way including the handle that technically should list the knife as a 649. How polished it is will break down to impression.

Regarding a non-polished blade W49. I have seen several, what I'll call "first version"knives with a brushed finish blade. Also several "first version" with the more common polished finish. I have no way to say for sure when these brushed finished blades occurred, but I've come to feel that they are more likely examples of the earliest ones at this point. Still I got to call it an IMHO and maybe a little too close to a WAG.
    "first version knife" is blade marked WESTERN/BOULDER, COLO. U.S.A. on the name side of the blade with BOWIE stamped on the reverse side of the blade.

I have an "N" W43, W45, and W47 and two W47 Camillus no date versions, 1 NIB, but nary a matching "N" W49. I'm also missing a "G" W49. I've seen 2 on fleabay within a week of each other a year or so ago, but I got beat out on both of them, badly. I figured more would show up someday. No such luck there so far.

I "thought" I had a W49 "O", but when it got here, it turned out to be a "C" with scratch that made it look like a backwards "D". The guy claimed it was an "O" and swore that it was even when I questioned him on it. One of the few W49s that I've paid over $100 for.

Western Bowie USA only

Hi. I have a knife given to me by my grandfather that is stamped "Western Bowie USA"; but no other marks on the blade or tang. That was sometime in the early 70's and it looked pretty rough already at that point. I've read thru the forums looking for a date range and know I wonder if this is perhaps a Bowie clone? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

If the tang stamp looks like this:

Many of us consider it the second version of the W49. Approximate date 66 and 67. Could be a little overlap for the specific time as it's hard to nail down the dates real precisely.

Sac, that is exactly what it looks like, along with the small rivets. The time frame also matches up with what he shared; that my uncle carried it with him in Vietnam and then gave it to my grandfather. I've just basically had it put up in a box and my sons shared learning about Bowie and Crockett it school yesterday. Gave me a good reason to get it down and show it off. Thank you for the information.

Do you have the sheath for it?

I do. Let me see if these links will work. [IMG][/IMG]

http://i67.tinypic.com/dwmqg.jpg

That's pretty nice Radman and it looks like a flat grind on that blade and not a hollow type grind like on the later models like the one I had.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information