Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Mini Knife KITH - closed!!

Stockton, CA - We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ok guys, we have a good bunch signed up so far! Does anyone have one they started on? Materials collected? Questions about a process? Pics of progress?

Let's see what you guys have going on! Myself I might try to make some mokume gane using brass, copper, and I have bronze too. Never done it, and I figure a pre '83 penny, some brass sheet and a two brick forge should make it work. I have lots of reading to do on it, that's for sure!

Anyone have any tips or good links for it?

-Xander

No pics for me yet, but I plan on reproducing the last knife I just sold at about 1/4 scale or less. Same steel (O-1) and will use some dyed lacewood handle cutoffs that I have. I will even reproduce the kydex sheath, and I'm going to try and figure out a way to make a mini matching firesteel for the set as well. I have 3/32 blade stock, so I will probably *surface grind* it on my platen to about half of that. Getting started in the next couple of weeks!

The other option at this point for the same model... I've recently been working a design for a close friend of mine who wants a blade done in damascus, if this starts within the next month I will use a cutoff from that steel for this knife instead =)

Why not???

I'll play... "I'm in" I will make a mini knife shaped object by July 1, 2012..

Email sent....
    BeckerHead #13

"I am not a Number, I am a Free Man"- Maiden

"The moments we share today, Inspire the stories we tell tomorrow"

I will give a little update, I figure I have a bit of time to do a few and pick the best one. first design is a chopper, not sure of scale but definitely less than 4:1. In "Skinny W2"
    "A true friend sends you a knife big enough to kill bears....And enough good beer to give you the courage to do so!" - Mike Davis
    *** I have a BF Sub Forum: Enter my 2014 GAW CLICK HERE ***
    Visit us on FACEBOOK
    Ryan Weeks - Ryan W. Knives
    ABS Apprentice Smith

Love it ryan! Just about the size I was thinking for mine... guess I should get started!

Looks good Ryan! What's the thickness on that one? You going to try a hamon on it?

-Xander

Thanks Jonathan and Xander. I got caught with my pants down on last years Mini KITH with only 1/8" (Or Thicker) steel on hand this is just under 3/32".. Hamon? what is a hamon?
    "A true friend sends you a knife big enough to kill bears....And enough good beer to give you the courage to do so!" - Mike Davis
    Visit us on FACEBOOK
    ABS Apprentice Smith

either you have a HUGE finger or that's a really small knife

I love it, way to go....that's encouraging right there !!! is that 1/16" drill bit on the top two holes??
    BeckerHead #13

"I am not a Number, I am a Free Man"- Maiden

"The moments we share today, Inspire the stories we tell tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Creek Knives View Post
    either you have a HUGE finger or that's a really small knife

I love it, way to go....that's encouraging right there !!! is that 1/16" drill bit on the top two holes??
    haha! I do have a huge finger, and yes 2 holes 1/16" and 2 1/8" not too happy with the placement of the small ones this may be a trial run.
    Visit us on FACEBOOK
    ABS Apprentice Smith

Quote Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
    haha! I do have a huge finger, and yes 2 holes 1/16" and 2 1/8" not too happy with the placement of the small ones this may be a trial run.
    What I have done in the past is drill all my holes first and then lay out my profile. Sometimes it easier to bring th edges in to center the hole than to put a hole in the center, especially on guards and pommels. On that US M3 I did last year I think I made 3 guards and two pommels after the numerous attempts to get the punch process figured out.

I will post some reference info either tomorrow or Thursday for everyone. Sure seems to help someone everytime.

-Xander

WOW!!

These mini knives are just way to cool!!

Looking forward to seeing more

Im In - I will make a knife by JULY 1, 2012.

Saw this today and gave it a try. First mini. I believe there's an assumption that it will be soooo much easier because it's so much smaller. HA! Total misconception for sure. Humbling and exciting. Started a damascus bowie with nickel silver bolsters and mammoth ivory scales. This should be fun.

Great to have you! Show us your work, we all love pics here! Yeah, the finish work goes easily because it it much smaller, but trying to start with 80 grit really leaves deep scratches on such thin stock! I usually start by roughing in at 120 and jump to 180 for the bevels then 320 and up for finalizing shape. I try to go to 600 pre HT.

-Xander

Well I took a bunch of pics but only a couple came out. Could it be because the camera lens is about 5inches away from the subject material?

MiniB 1.JPG
    This was taken for scale. Blade is raindrop pattern damascus with tapered tang. Bolsters are Nickel Silver bought at Blade last year. Scales are mammoth ivory, they have some great color hiding under that bark.

Mini Bowie.JPG
    Took this after heat treat, sanding to 1000grit and etching in ferric for a while. Bolsters have been worked on a bit and the mammoth scales have been flattened and dovetailed to fit the bolsters. Going to pick up some sterling wire to pin the scales on. Do not want to use anything as thick as that 1/16" stuff I used for the bolsters.

That's what I got so far. May make some changes along the way. Considering a sheath, but not sure. If I could find a baby snake to use on the sheath I just might do it. It was fun grinding the bevels. These li'l guys heat up quick. And it's hard to put them in the knife vice to hold while hand sanding.

I put the previous Mini Blade to the side.

I spent some time in Oregon with Mike Turner forging for 3 days. He had a piece of 13 layer - 15n20 / 1084 Damascus that was 5/8" square and he twisted it up to approx 6 twists per Inch.

I pounded a small piece of it flat and decided to use that as my Mini KITH Material... My fingers are burnt!
    Specs:
    Steel: 3/32" - 13 Layer 15n20/1084, Twist (Mike Turner)
    OAL: 2.34"
    Blade: 1.34"

now to the handle.
    Visit us on FACEBOOK
    ABS Apprentice Smith

Ryan that turned out sweeet my friend, I love how the layers are nearly 90 degrees on the handle and you where able to 5 stars on that little blade. Nice work, shame you have to handle that and cover up that tight twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    Ryan that turned out sweeet my friend, I love how the layers are nearly 90 degrees on the handle and you where able to 5 stars on that little blade. Nice work, shame you have to handle that and cover up that tight twist.
    Nice job on the damascus Mike. I will do my best to leave a little of the ricasso poking out to show that pattern.
    Visit us on FACEBOOK
    ABS Apprentice Smith

Well if I did not go crazy and twist that billet in half trying to get that as tight as it could you would have never had that piece . Now get back to work .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    Well if I did not go crazy and twist that billet in half trying to get that as tight as it could you would have never had that piece . Now get back to work .
    Haha, It is Tempering... cool your jets Brother!
    Visit us on FACEBOOK
    ABS Apprentice Smith

Im In - I will make a knife by JULY 1, 2012

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information