Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Mini Knife KITH - closed!!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have no carving skills and I would hate to learn on a piece of ivory. Is it about as round as a nickel or smaller?
    Be patient or you'll end up one.

http://instagram.com/shawblades

No, it's a cube and about 1 x 1 x 1.

I was looking at some old photos and ran across these. The first is a close-up of a knife. I would say that you could not tell the size from the photo. The second shows how small the knife actually is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Stockton, CA - We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
    Well I decided to shelf the fine silver guard until I get better at working with it. I started one in bronze today, but it is only single sided, I don't know yet if I like it or not. Feel free to comment on it, I still have some bronze in the same thickness so I can make another one real quick. Started fitting the handle as well, its walrus ivory, still oversize.

-Xander

Looking good! Single, double, either way you can't go wrong, that is a nice looking knife.
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Got the guard sanded for final fitment, brought the handle down a more workable size for finishing.

Fitted the guard, it is friction fit very tight, I had to hammer it on and the tang hole was tapered to allow room for super glue.

Got the handl assembly glued up. I decided to add a bit of spacer between the guard and ivory for just a little bit of color and because the superglue can leave a small gap. Still debating if I want to do a pommel or butt cap on this one.

Comments, thoughts and opinions are more than welcome and are encouraged.

-Xander

Started a bit of handle and guard shaping. This is closer to the final shape, but still needs much refinement. I have to udercut the guard just a touch, carrying the radius from the underside all the way around. Also the ivory needs to be thinned maybe .015" on all sides. I have some 1mm leather and I may actually attempt a sheath with this one as well.

-Xander

Very nice guys. I have not forgotten about this, just have been busy and didn't take any pics. I will get pics up later today.

Three blades finished, just can't get around to working on the handle. Someone come kick me in the rear end to get me moving, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Graham Bell
    You call it texting. . . .I call it a cellular telegram

http://www.atlasknife.com
    http://www.iowarepair.com

c'mon man! You need some handle material to get you going? I've got all kinds of stuff! Let me know what you need! How's Graham's mini coming along?

Pics, updates, comments, its been real quiet on here!

Mike, can we now expect a scrimmed handle on your mini?!

Ryan, I'm surprised you haven't made a dozen more! You seem to turn them out so fast.

Stacy, you making any specifically for the KITH, or are you going to pull from your stock of completed minis?

-Xander

I have something nice in store. I am watching and letting the others post for now. I'll put up some photos soon.
    I also have a couple other mini projects I'll be posting on in the next month or so that will be neat.

Got to get past this Sunday first, when I have a private show. I ground the handles on forty-five knives this evening, and will finish sand them and buff them tomorrow. I died all the sheaths this morning at 7AM. I accidentally let this show sneak up on me. It is the father's day show, but I forgot it was the week before father's day. I thought I had another whole week to go until last weekend when I looked at my calendar. No problem, I work better under the gun than when I have time.
    Stacy E.Apelt

Quote Originally Posted by fast14riot View Post
    c'mon man! You need some handle material to get you going? I've got all kinds of stuff! Let me know what you need! How's Graham's mini coming along?
    -Xander
    I have the materials, I just need to get to it. I've got a full sized knife that's been waiting for a handle for almost a year now, and another waiting for 2 years! Graham has cut out three blades and is filing on them all the time. He might get one of them done this weekend, hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Graham Bell
    You call it texting. . . .I call it a cellular telegram

http://www.atlasknife.com
    http://www.iowarepair.com

I finished the mini today while things were slower at the show. I will post photos when I get a chance to take them, but here are the specs:
    Mini Naval Cutlass sword
    80mm OAL
    60mm Blade
    Scale - 12:1
    .70mm thick
    W2 steel
    Sterling guard
    Stacked leather handle
    11/0 tap for the tang and pommel.

If I don't say so myself, this is a top rate mini.....one of the best I have made.
    Stacy E.Apelt

OK, I shot a couple quick and dirty shots of the sword, as well as pulled up a shot of the handle stack before grinding. It is 18 layers of 1mm leather. The shots of the sword don't show much, but give an idea of size.
    I also added two shots of the table at my private show.
    Stacy E.Apelt

Way cool Stacy! I think I did 20 layers of 1mm leather for last years, but I compressed it when I glued it up. Did you compress yours?

-Xander

Yes, it was compressed on a .75mm steel core, which was used as the mandrel to turn down the handle to near final size. Then the metal was heated on the ends and driven out of the leather. The tang of the sword was heated and hot fitted to the leather to get a perfect fit. Then the handle was sanded down to final shape, and buffed. It was then removed and the hand guard fitted. The tang was threaded with an 11/0 tap and the pommel was tapped the same. The whole assembly is screwed on by the pommel nut.
    Stacy E.Apelt

IMPORTANT

I am having some technical issues with one of my email accounts, so if any of you ned to contact me please use the one attached to my user profile here. It is fast14riot@comcast.net

I am going to try and figure out what's going on, but it looks like I have been hacked.

-Xander

OK, not great photos, but better ones:
    Stacy E.Apelt

Here is a sword by Ron Frazier. It is a miniature copy of one of his full size pieces. He was making this when he passed away.
    The blade was rusty, and the handle was only partially done. After restoring the blade, I finished the fittings, and fire blued them. The ivory is mammoth.
    OAL is 3.5"
    Stacy E.Apelt

Very nice. I can see why you wanted to show it.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information