Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts--If / When the Busse folder....?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post

As a customer, I would be happy to accept a lesser warranty to get the knife.
    Very, VERY happy A big + 1

Infi is a steel which excels in chopping and hard leverage use ... it does'nt chip easily and can take a lot of latteral stress ... it sharpens easily and for a tool steel is very stain resistant ... it has survived destructive tests better than any other steel ... so where is the sense in putting this steel into a folder which can easily "snap" ?

Asking "Busse" for a folder has always seemed to me like asking "Victorinox" for a "fixed blade" ... each has there own market based on what they are good at ...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPHWS View Post
    Infi is a steel which excels in chopping and hard leverage use ... it does'nt chip easily and can take a lot of latteral stress ... it sharpens easily and for a tool steel is very stain resistant ... it has survived destructive tests better than any other steel ... so where is the sense in putting this steel into a folder which can easily "snap" ?

Asking "Busse" for a folder has always seemed to me like asking "Victorinox" for a "fixed blade" ... each has there own market based on what they are good at ...
    Culties, Muskrats, Cubs, smaller thinfi in general, it seems to have a purpose. I find mine useful for lighter chores. If I used some of them like an idiot however, they like a well made folder could snap no? I fail to see how adding a pivot to a similar knife would be senseless.

eta-victorinox makes all sorts of fixed blades, granted nothing like a busse

Point taken ... I don't own any of the smaller "thinfi" for the reasons I gave ... going on "strength's" I prefer other steels for these type of knives ... Phil Wilson has knocked the ball out of the park for me in this area of knife performance ... and for a folder I like a SAK for sheer "usefulness" ...

This is coming in 2013 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Need2Know View Post
    What do all of you think?
    Thoughts on blade shape, size?
    What type of locking system?
    What handle materials?

I would not mind seeing a spear or drop point in a Ti framelock. That said, I am interested in whatever eventually rolls out.

What say you?
    Ti framelock sounds great!
    Jack Burton: Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe.

Could infi be tempered to spring temper for a frame lock?

Not for sure but that would be cool to have total INFI folder instead of INFI/Ti.
    Jack Burton: Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe.

Yes Infi please.
    **Just having some fun - Pics of my work**

Instagram: JONASIGLESIAS

#125 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

What MikeH said. But I like my folders to be slicers with a thinner grind, no need for brute strength. YMMV.

Maybe he can use original Busse A2? would that hold an edge better than INFI?

To be 100% honest. I hope Busse does not sell out and make a folder. Fixed blades all the way.

At the trough with crosshairs on all the Mutts and Rats
    The one in my hand and a few others are all that will ever exist.

I have been seeing the folder rumors sense I joined BF. I don't think we will ever see one and maybe we shouldn't. Busse does the best fixed blades in the world,there are many companies doing fine folders to choose from. That said I would like to see new runs of the Swamp Rat folder from time to time. It is a really sweet knife.
    If Busse ever does do a folder it might be cool to see it as a colab between Busse and ZT. The 0550 has a fairly thick blade so maybe Infi would work well in it. Maybe Busse could produce the blades and ZT the rest and do the assembly. Not sure how the warranty would work with something like that.
    i8aporkchopu812 inducted Blade Show 2008
    Jeff Smith
    Skull lanyards for sale
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...knife-lanyards

Monkey fists for sale
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...6#post13041766

There are a few Infi folders out there.......the ones I know weren't made by Busse
    WANTED: Silent Knight , 2 Bolt Badger , Steel Heart 1 (with side stamp), Lil Ugly
    Busse Paraphernalia...patches, letters, magazines, boxes, original ad or articles
    Well.....here I am ~ Jubal Early
    WTB FAT SKELETON KEY
    COLD STEEL VOYAGER 5" Old Style

Although the idea of a Busse folder is incredibly tempting, I strongly believe Busse SHOULDN´T DO A FOLDER BY ANY MEANS.

The most important thing on a Busse knife is RELIABILITY, that is a thing that NO fixed blade has achieved and will never achieve to this day, just because of its very nature.

The more parts a system has, the greater the probability it has to fail. If I´m not wrong, thats the reason Busse chose open-riveted scales instead bolt-n-nut.

I would feel a lot better If they would do an even smaller warden, lets say a one inch long blade one...if it was something below or around 100USD would be fantastic. ( in case you drop it).

I currently carry this one...I just wish it was a Busse.:

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelface View Post
    There are a few Infi folders out there.......the ones I know weren't made by Busse
    Really?...I´d love to make my own custom with INFi...where can one get the steel?...out of an old Knife?

The knives are the only openly available source, though Jerry has been known to let a couple of folks use infi

Tim Zowada. Mike Thourot. Any others I can't remember right now.

Reese Wieland (spelling?) has made a few folders from Busse knives
    WANTED: Silent Knight , 2 Bolt Badger , Steel Heart 1 (with side stamp), Lil Ugly
    Busse Paraphernalia...patches, letters, magazines, boxes, original ad or articles
    Well.....here I am ~ Jubal Early
    WTB FAT SKELETON KEY
    COLD STEEL VOYAGER 5" Old Style

It's all good, gang.

This is a thread I started in April of last year already knowing the folder story. It will happen when it happens or not at all. I'm cool either way.

If it's created (officially and for release to the public)...I'm all in. If it comes up as a topic, I'll post that I want one.

I'd really like for it to be a robust framelock, but that's just my want, to each his / her own. In the end it's up to Jerry.

The idea of a collaboration is not an entirely bad one. Could give a reputable folder maker one very cool piece of knife history in their portfolio. But I'd prefer it be a home-grown creation start to finish.

It is fitting we ask for a folder in the new year...asking likely will happen most every year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information