Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new BBQ Challenge - The Camp Sword

ADVERTISEMENT
    Carl - Post the photos and anything else here ( unless you want to make a separate thread).

Camp sword - bush sword - machete - super chopper -.....pretty much whatever you want to build but a Zombie slayer.

Ed - It is really up to you, but if you want a suggestion, try a thick and short (around 16" long edge and 1/4" thick) Chokuto era wakizashi blade. It will be a heavy straight chopper with a angled ( tanto) kissaki. About 1.25" blade width should work. Tsuka in cord wrapped wood. Tsuba tiny and round. Woodlined leather wrapped saya.
    Call it the shinrin wakizashi......or tree slayer.
    Last edited by bladsmth; 04-09-2012 at 05:46 AM.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

jsut sold my camp knife so i need to replace it but my plan calls for about 12-13 inch blade not 15 +

i jsut got to see if i can get the steel i want in the right size
    Lloyd Richard Harner III most people that know me just call me Butch

L.R.Harner Knives
    If you're not going to do it right, don't do it.
    www.harnerknives.com (is work in progress)
    now also making straight razors

Quote Originally Posted by cbr900son View Post
    5$ for whoever makes the bush sword folder! LOL
    I'm still working on the hardware because last night after quench I "converted" mine to folder status. Lots of fun... I'll email you later with my paypal addy for the $5.

No big deal, I'll make another one soon!
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fairly Knives View Post
    I'm still working on the hardware because last night after quench I "converted" mine to folder status. Lots of fun... I'll email you later with my paypal addy for the $5.

No big deal, I'll make another one soon!
    OK but it has to have a 10" blade on your folder or bigger! lol

Never really made a chopper or bush sword but would a chisel grind work well for that type of cutting? Running thru some ideas so I can draw this out

Quote Originally Posted by bladsmth View Post
    Carl - Post the photos and anything else here ( unless you want to make a separate thread).

Camp sword - bush sword - machete - super chopper -.....pretty much whatever you want to build but a Zombie slayer.

Ed - It is really up to you, but if you want a suggestion, try a thick and short (16" long and 1/4" thick) Chokuto era wakizashi blade. It will be a heavy straight chopper with a angled ( tanto) kissaki. About 1.25" blade width should work. Tsuka in cord wrapped wood. Tsuba tiny and round. Woodlined leather wrapped saya.
    Thank you Sensei-sama, but not exactly what I was requesting; still it shall be as you have set before me. If memory serves correct, the Chokuto was the Nara period (I remember this because I find it ironic that modern day Nara, Okinawa; is still considered the epicenter for bladesmithing in Japan among some Nihonto enthusiasts and historically produced the rifles that Oda Nobunaga used attempting to unify Japan, and Tokugawa finished) and most commonly associated (i.e. mistaken for) Kodachi (O-wakizashi).
    For the folks who need an Ed translator: http://www.forging.org/system/files/...aneseSword.pdf

So, to break it down (without breaking your patience Apelt Sensei):
    The first blade that comes to mind is Marchand Senpai's Bushwaki blade except for the fact that the Choku-to did not have a curvature, most likely as a resulting influence from emigrating mainland Orientals, such as the Koreans and Chinese and sealing the relationship to the Chinese Ken. As Japan's "Golden" era, the common man needed a weapon-tool, with Oral Tradition what it is, despite odd skirmishes between territories, the general concern were robbers/raiders; as such, the man in the field chopping rice silage needed to be able to turn to his machete as his primary defensive weapon at home.
    This has led to one of the largest arguments in the Mall Ninja world--that the Chokuto and Kodachi spawned the Ninjato. Regardless of their petty fanboy zomgwtfbbq, it doesn't deter the fact the Tomo Ryu Shinobijutsu is a classically defined martial art predating both the Edo period and Western "Ninja Boom" (America: 1960s-80s and again in the 90s with TMNT) by at least a hundred years. The style's emphasis on concealment, evasion, and guerrilla tactics required straight short swords.

As your Cyber student and the guy who thinks way too d@mn much, here is what I propose based on those particular semantics that are stuck in my head:
    Based on my tactics for this arena and the wilderness purpose I shall make Bōryaku-no-Areno
    Bōryaku emphasizing tactics, "no" is "of," and Areno (which sounds like a play on Arena) roughly translates to "wilderness."

Build:
    Traditionally Kodachi style blades are high carbon, and Chokuto are hypothetically single bevel--though I'd like some confirmation on that.
    Concurrently I'm still considering 1075, but more leaning towards 1050 or 1060 now. 5160 would serve, but for aesthetics like to try for a hamon.
    Despite pending input on edge geometry, I'd thought maybe 16"OAL, but worry a simple 12" blade, sticking to the 1.25-1.5" wide.
    I'm not going to add a habiki as it is not traditional, however, for the small tsuba I want to use mokume gane, whether I use a copper/silver/nickle mix or try to get fancy and add wrought to that mix is a question though, along with finding with finding a good mix. "Quarter" mokume won't do, and my local source for sheet pure copper, Ni, and silver just closed...
    I'm going to pester BigBlue for sheath ideas--I love how he combines wood, leather, and copper for his.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr900son View Post
    OK but it has to have a 10" blade on your folder or bigger! lol

Never really made a chopper or bush sword but would a chisel grind work well for that type of cutting? Running thru some ideas so I can draw this out
    Not to get off subject but in my opinion a chisel grind cuts great at a large size. I'll do a video here eventually to show the cutting, like they say "pics or it didn't happen."

This one was a double grind though, it had a full flat right to the shoulder... wakizashi influenced and maybe too much for a camp sword, it was 24" long and maybe 1/2 pound. I used some 1084 and was considering natural micarta in the spirit of the thread.

I have some 1075 on the bench right now, I'll use it for the next one! I was looking for an excuse...
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- Fairly Knives - Nothing less than the best!

Stacy - I"d like to jump into this one if I could.
    I'm just finishing up the sheath for a "bush/camp sword", so my project is almost done. I don't have a lot of wip shots, but I'll post what I've got.

Oh, its just a tad shorter than your recommendation if that's alright.

Thanks,

Peter

I might take a crack at this too. Is there any "complete by" date?
    Matthew Bailey
    www.baileyknives.com
    "Chuck Norris cried one day when he saw how sharp Matt's knives were." Fz1boxer

Hmm wonder if anyone would like to do a kith out of it?

OK I'm back on track with another one profiled out, this time in 1075.

It is 16" long and .350" thick. It will be a small Wakizashi (technically a tanto actually) with a chisel grind or a "kata-kiri-ba" as they are called in Japan.
    Last edited by Daniel Fairly Knives; 04-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum

Quote Originally Posted by bladsmth View Post

Ed - It is really up to you, but if you want a suggestion, try a thick and short (16" long and 1/4" thick) Chokuto era wakizashi blade. It will be a heavy straight chopper with a angled ( tanto) kissaki. About 1.25" blade width should work. Tsuka in cord wrapped wood. Tsuba tiny and round. Woodlined leather wrapped saya.
    This is pretty much what I am trying to make, I think I will even try a wooden sheath.
    www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Knives View Post
    I might take a crack at this too. Is there any "complete by" date?
    Yeah.. is there a finish date for these? I need something for the summer.

This is just a challange....no dates...no rules....no prize.

All I am doing is throwing out a style that we as a group can make and compare what we come up with. Some may be little more than a sharpened bar of steel, while others may be more elaborate.
    Last edited by bladsmth; 04-09-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Ed, I hope you don't think I'm trying to steel (haha. Very punny) your idea, but I'd really like to try your idea and do a wakizashi.

I have a piece of 1.25x18x3/16 O1 that I accidentally ordered and I didn't know what to do with. I originally had a bush sword drawn on it some time ago, but decided against it at the last minute. I think now I might do it, because I don't know what else to do with that width and thickness.

Stacy, is there a good or decent online tutorial about Japanese sword construction. Basic vocabulary, construction how to's, stuff like that, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I just like the idea of using that steel bar finally.

This sounds like fun.......I might have to play too.
    Darcy

Ok, i have been wanting to do this project for over a year now. I have it designed, and the steel is sitting right by the forge. I will also do a full WIP(and renew my membership lol)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DEllis View Post
    This sounds like fun.......I might have to play too.
    Darcy
    Then we had better get in that order of 5160 ASAP!
    I'll e-mail what I need tomorrow.

Had some time to get this thing down to HT tolerances, gonna fire the forge and put a soak on it tomorrow evening. Now heres the specs:
    3/16" 0-1 stock removed
    double flat to convex
    OAL 18 1/4"
    BL 12"
    camo micarta w/liners, corbies and epoxy
    Feels real light in the hand, and already hungry for wood!!!

If some body doesnt talk me out of this thing at the show id consider a kith!
    Greg
    Last edited by GTH11; 04-10-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: steel thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by medicevans View Post
    Ed, I hope you don't think I'm trying to steel (haha. Very punny) your idea, but I'd really like to try your idea and do a wakizashi.

I have a piece of 1.25x18x3/16 O1 that I accidentally ordered and I didn't know what to do with. I originally had a bush sword drawn on it some time ago, but decided against it at the last minute. I think now I might do it, because I don't know what else to do with that width and thickness.

Stacy, is there a good or decent online tutorial about Japanese sword construction. Basic vocabulary, construction how to's, stuff like that, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I just like the idea of using that steel bar finally.

It was purely Apelt Sensei's idea, he has been very kindly and patiently lent me a great deal of advice and information off site, and looking at this as an assignment from a teacher and a proper WIP for the forum. I dropped my shuriken WIP because I was worried about A) looking like a tactifool mall ninja or B) encouraging mall ninja-ism.
    I'm jut plain weird enough as is.
    I'm just really enthusiastic because I know A) a lot of the makers whose work I have greatly admired, studied, and reflected upon in pushing myself towards higher standards will also commit to the idea (which furthers my studies) and B) makes for a great way to introduce my work--mixing in everything I've learned from these guys, plus my own weird flourishes, such as considering using Jade G10 for the handle inlaid with brass or bronze to look like circuitry--but that's all I'm hinting at...

Here's one educational site:
    http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/
    There are some language issues, but it is as thorough as one gets in a compressed online form with plenty of visuals to emphasize.

Combine with
    http://www.nihonto.com/contents.html
    And you'll have a basic codex to work with between more period specific texts, such as those pieces by Kapp(s) and Yoshihara. Short of purchasing proper books, this is the best I can offer for opensource sites aside from various .pdfs like I posted earlier, and honestly Stacy or Stuart could offer better, specific titles for hard-bound books.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information