Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stainless steel "nitro" pill cases or similar high quality pill cases?

stainless steel "nitro" pill cases or similar high quality pill cases?

ADVERTISEMENT
    All I can seem to find are the cheap coarse thread aluminum pill cases from China.

Where would I find a higher quality stainless steel pill case? I would like to find the "nitro" pill bottle size for pocket carry and the longer thinner type for a lanyard around my neck or carry on a key chain.

Thanks!
    Sid

How about chrome plated brass?

Here are 3 designs that look pretty good and are made to hold nitro pills.

http://medids.com/PILL-MATE.html

You could buy a "peanut lighter" and remove the guts. That would leave you with the stainless steel container you desire. Google "peanut lighter" for source.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

google "ss pill containers"

Quote Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
    google "ss pill containers"
    Really?

After wading through pages of aluminum, nickel plated brass, and things with no specification I was hoping for something a little more enlightening.

Even the medical supply places and pharmacy's local to me were filled with chinese aluminum substandard quality items. Aluminum reacts with a lot of medicines and nickel flakes off. Wonder how I know that?

http://www.jazebra.com/pill-fob-trekker.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Pil.../dp/B004DRD6UW
    http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/t337.html

Have you thought about titanium ones? They are a little more pricey, but titanium should be fairly inert to different meds.
    Last edited by Phydeaux; 04-08-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Do the nitro pills still come in a brown, thick, glass, bottle with a metal cap from the pharmacy?
    Last edited by Modoc ED; 04-12-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    ED

Quote Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
    Have you thought about titanium ones? They are a little more pricey, but titanium should be fairly inert to different meds.
    Thanks! That idea had not crossed my mind. Should be worlds better then the aluminum ones available locally.

I've had one of the "cheap Chinese aluminum" ones for about 5 years now; works perfectly. Hard to imagine wanting anything better unless I planned to drive my car over it.
    However... These things are problematic.
    Yes, the nitro pills still come in the little brown bottle. If you leave them in the bottle, they rattle around and gradually turn to dust. Also, the lid get's loose and as a result you have "nitro dust" all over the innards of the container.

Now, you could just leave the cotton inside the bottle, but I'm afraid that if you were having an "episode", it would be too hard to remove the cotton to get at the pills.
    Don't know... I've been carrying the things for that long and have never taken one.

I've made a couple of simple titanium boxes , 1.75x1.75x.375 , and use some cotton to pad the pills. I just slip it in my pocket.

What's wrong with chrome plated brass?

Flakes off with time and wear. Though they work pretty well in general. If I could find them locally, I would have picked one up again. Right now all I have access to locally are the cheap aluminum ones of dubious quality and durability. Mail order is pretty expensive so, I'm waiting on a couple Titanium models to show up.

I typed "titanium pill" into search on ePay, and a couple Ti pill containers popped up.

Also sold from China and identified as "titanium steel" containers, the cheapest is $6.85 delivered. At that price, I'd try one.

I just ordered some battery lockers from countycomm. made out of delrin. I bought AA and AAA sizes that hold one battery each. I ordered a few not to carry extra batteries, but to carry some lighter fluid in one and pills in another. But at this time I have been away so I cannot in good conscience recommend them. But I believe they will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    I typed "titanium pill" into search on ePay, and a couple Ti pill containers popped up.

Also sold from China and identified as "titanium steel" containers, the cheapest is $6.85 delivered. At that price, I'd try one.
    Did you know titanium is a color?

At that price it's not made of titanium. If you're lucky it's steel with a coating that in the opinion of the manufacturer resembles the color of titanium. If you're not so lucky it's aluminum.

"Titaner" packaging with a "Lifesaver" for size perspective.

The Titaner bottle, a cheap aluminum "Nitro" pill bottle from Wal-Mart, and the Ti "bill holder" you see on the web.

These two Titanium pill/bill cases are a lot nicer then the ~$5 cheap import aluminum "nitro pill" cases you see everywhere. The Titaner is apparently designed to hold CR123A batteries but, its diameter is about the same as a nitro pill case. It is a little longer which is nice if you have some of those "horse" pills as part of your daily meds. I like the smaller diameter of the "bill case" but, it is a little tight for comfort for my larger pills. For aspirin, allergy tablets, and similar things it is a really nice size. Plus it makes a great way to carry some emergency money if you are out jogging or riding a bicycle.

Both of these appear to be super durable. While I haven't tested them for "yield strength" I'm sure I could drive my pickup over them in a parking lot without crushing them. They are not "too heavy" IMHO but, they are heavy enough to actually feel them in my pocket which is nice when I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

While I would have been happy with the "old" stainless steel nitro pill cases formerly available everywhere, it seems the really cheap "Chinese" imports have made them a thing of the past unless you are willing to spend ~$30 or so for one. At that pricepoint, I'll take Titanium. Both of these seem to made from the same material commonly found in pocket knife liners but, the bill case is a darker color then the Titaner battery container.

Quote Originally Posted by mwerner View Post
    Now, you could just leave the cotton inside the bottle, but I'm afraid that if you were having an "episode", it would be too hard to remove the cotton to get at the pills.
    Put the cotton into the bottom of the container. It'll still cusion the pills, but they will now come out easily.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

Someone should make a kydex tactical nitro pill case neck sheath.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

Quote Originally Posted by mwerner View Post
    Don't know... I've been carrying the things for that long and have never taken one.
    Really small pills can get lost in cotton but, that's never been an issue for me. BP meds, allergy pills, etc. are all large enough to pick up easily whether in cotton or not. Little 81mg aspirin do get lost in cotton but, I'm not worried about those.

Most presciption and OTC pills are large enough that someone older or with limited eyesight or dexterity could pick them up so, I don't really see much of issue using cotton to cushion the pills. YMMW.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking about getting my brother a Titanium container for his meds. It wouldn't be a good thing for him to lose a $100 container though. I might get one of the aluminum ones and see if I can have a food safe, chemically neutral liner added to it. This is tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information