Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: homemade sheath pic's, if you got em post em :D

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    4,565

    homemade sheath pic's, if you got em post em :D


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Made a bunch of ghetto super cheap kydex sheaths for the axes I just rehafted. These aren't made from new sheets of kydex, I took two 12" sheaths I made a while ago and cut them in half, cut the spine and just reformed them. You can really see it on the heavy side of the double bit since it maintained the shape of the bottom of the sheath.

    Most of these aren't really tight enough to be used without some kind of latching mechanism, so I used paracord and 1" side release buckles to make them snap-on's without actual snaps (I have none available.) Every knot present on all of these is a variation on a single or double hitch, as those are the only knots I know for general use beyond a square knot and slip knot. Nooses and turks head knots don't really come in handy in day to day life, and I never memorized the truckers knot. Most of my ending knots are just a chain of hitches. Since paracord is slippery, I put a dab of superglue on the end of each chain of hitches.

    Edit to add: the gransfors is the sheath it came with. I had to remake a sheath for the wetterlings because the bit cut striaght through the threading when it was dropped from a short distance. I trust the rivets of the gransfors to stop the edge, but I don't trust stitching at all, certainly not after I saw it fail.




    Other side:



    Off the heads


    Couldn't figure out how to sheath this quickly or easily. I don't have any extra leather, and it would be difficult to fabricate a compact sheath out of wood. So, working with what I've got, this is 1/8" vinyl tubing and paracord. It would work a lot better with 1/4 or 3/8" tubing since it would be easier to put on and off, and hold in place. Even though it's a bit of a pain to get on it does keep the edge from getting damaged and keeps my foot from getting cut during storage.




    made simply by cutting one side and slipping it over the edge.
    Last edited by Last Visible Canary; 04-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    308
    Yours aren't ghetto by a longgggg shot... nice work by the way.



    The inside is two shop rags and cardboard surrounded by "Super Heavy Duty Space Grade Something or Other." The sheath is a slip on that is a inch or so longer than the face of the axe, so it can't cut its way through. May not have class, but I still haven't cut through anything....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    s.w. Michigan
    Posts
    1,678
    I use split garden hose tied on with 1/8 in nylon twine to cover my edges.
    Last edited by scrteened porch; 05-06-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: ditched bad link

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    mountains of montana
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post
    Yours aren't ghetto by a longgggg shot... nice work by the way.



    The inside is two shop rags and cardboard surrounded by "Super Heavy Duty Space Grade Something or Other." The sheath is a slip on that is a inch or so longer than the face of the axe, so it can't cut its way through. May not have class, but I still haven't cut through anything....
    ha! thats classic! one of my old friends use to have a sheath for his fillet knife made out of cardboard and duct tape...! thats good stuff!

    ill post some pics of a few of my 'homemade' sheaths tomarrow... their nothing special, but they are homemade...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Rocky Mountains, Colorado
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Visible Canary View Post
    Made a bunch of ghetto super cheap kydex sheaths for the axes I just rehafted. These aren't made from new sheets of kydex, I took two 12" sheaths I made a while ago and cut them in half, cut the spine and just reformed them. You can really see it on the heavy side of the double bit since it maintained the shape of the bottom of the sheath.

    Most of these aren't really tight enough to be used without some kind of latching mechanism, so I used paracord and 1" side release buckles to make them snap-on's without actual snaps (I have none available.) Every knot present on all of these is a variation on a single or double hitch, as those are the only knots I know for general use beyond a square knot and slip knot. Nooses and turks head knots don't really come in handy in day to day life, and I never memorized the truckers knot. Most of my ending knots are just a chain of hitches. Since paracord is slippery, I put a dab of superglue on the end of each chain of hitches.

    Edit to add: the gransfors is the sheath it came with. I had to remake a sheath for the wetterlings because the bit cut striaght through the threading when it was dropped from a short distance. I trust the rivets of the gransfors to stop the edge, but I don't trust stitching at all, certainly not after I saw it fail.




    Other side:



    Off the heads


    Couldn't figure out how to sheath this quickly or easily. I don't have any extra leather, and it would be difficult to fabricate a compact sheath out of wood. So, working with what I've got, this is 1/8" vinyl tubing and paracord. It would work a lot better with 1/4 or 3/8" tubing since it would be easier to put on and off, and hold in place. Even though it's a bit of a pain to get on it does keep the edge from getting damaged and keeps my foot from getting cut during storage.




    made simply by cutting one side and slipping it over the edge.
    Cool, dig the kydex

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Appalachia, eastern,Kentucky
    Posts
    1,847
    At one time I hated making sheaths..Over the years I grew to really enjoy it..Having the right tools to work leather/kydex makesa ll the difference..heresa few of ours..









  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post
    Yours aren't ghetto by a longgggg shot... nice work by the way.



    The inside is two shop rags and cardboard surrounded by "Super Heavy Duty Space Grade Something or Other." The sheath is a slip on that is a inch or so longer than the face of the axe, so it can't cut its way through. May not have class, but I still haven't cut through anything....
    If I was at home rather than at school, I could post worse.....entire machete sheath. And it works very well too. I have carried that machete around for the past 3 years. I just have to keep retaping the tip, other than that, it works very well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    4,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
    At one time I hated making sheaths..Over the years I grew to really enjoy it..Having the right tools to work leather/kydex makesa ll the difference..heresa few of ours.
    That is just fantastic!

    I lack even the scantest artistic ability. My father used to do leatherwork and beautiful filigree. But I never caught the bug and probably couldn't do much with it anyway. The few sheaths I've made are nothing but practical.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    4,565
    That is some awesome leather work. When I tell people that some of my work is ghetto, often times they'll tell me it's really good. The reason I call it ghetto is because I know what really good work looks like, like the sheaths you've posted.

  10. #10
    Made this today for my Stuart Willis spike tomahawk.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    victoria harbour, ontario, Canada
    Posts
    484
    Pipeman made this awesome sheath for my pipehawk, the copper is very thick
    I love all his work, he also helped me make that sheath for the bowie


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    2,402
    Some lovely leatherwork there Kentucky. That hawk sling is especially nice.

    I've made a good few knife sheaths in my time but only a couple of axe sheaths, and they have both lent themselves to the same pattern:



    I'm gonna have to start thinking something new up with my next few projects.
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    4,458
    My work isn't pretty. Here's a hatchet sheath for the belt that I made a couple of years ago. The ones that come with hatchets (if any) are generally flimsy and too tight. It's hard to get the hatchet in and out without damaging it. And if you drag it through the brush the belt loop tears loose. So I overbuilt this one.


    The belt passes through the belt loop twice. The loops are riveted and stitched to the sheath.


    I think it will last nearly forever.


    I need to acquire some leather skills. You guys do beautiful work.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ILL
    Posts
    4,291
    Heres mine my first attempt top half of austrian ranger boots for the sheath the tongue for the overstrike ive since added some rivets so i dont cut thru the stitching . Rich

  15. #15
    Haven't worked in leather for 25 years but wanted a sheath for an axe I am working on for my brother so broke down and made this.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,200
    Here one I made for a Fort Turner Rogers' Rangers Hawk. Came out pretty nice.




  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts
    156
    Here are mine. All home made.




























    Thank you for looking.

    Samek

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    victoria harbour, ontario, Canada
    Posts
    484
    Nice job Samek, nice collection as well

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    N Central WI & U.P.MI.
    Posts
    1,070
    Samek, Your craftsmanship and skills with leather are inspiring. I really like your designs. Great work.
    Double Ott

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Haliburton Ontario
    Posts
    4,573
    Here's a few of mine, many of you have seen them.

    Best regards

    Robin

    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •