Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: homemade sheath pic's, if you got em post em :D

homemade sheath pic's, if you got em post em :D

ADVERTISEMENT
    Made a bunch of ghetto super cheap kydex sheaths for the axes I just rehafted. These aren't made from new sheets of kydex, I took two 12" sheaths I made a while ago and cut them in half, cut the spine and just reformed them. You can really see it on the heavy side of the double bit since it maintained the shape of the bottom of the sheath.

Most of these aren't really tight enough to be used without some kind of latching mechanism, so I used paracord and 1" side release buckles to make them snap-on's without actual snaps (I have none available.) Every knot present on all of these is a variation on a single or double hitch, as those are the only knots I know for general use beyond a square knot and slip knot. Nooses and turks head knots don't really come in handy in day to day life, and I never memorized the truckers knot. Most of my ending knots are just a chain of hitches. Since paracord is slippery, I put a dab of superglue on the end of each chain of hitches.

Edit to add: the gransfors is the sheath it came with. I had to remake a sheath for the wetterlings because the bit cut striaght through the threading when it was dropped from a short distance. I trust the rivets of the gransfors to stop the edge, but I don't trust stitching at all, certainly not after I saw it fail.

Other side:

Off the heads

Couldn't figure out how to sheath this quickly or easily. I don't have any extra leather, and it would be difficult to fabricate a compact sheath out of wood. So, working with what I've got, this is 1/8" vinyl tubing and paracord. It would work a lot better with 1/4 or 3/8" tubing since it would be easier to put on and off, and hold in place. Even though it's a bit of a pain to get on it does keep the edge from getting damaged and keeps my foot from getting cut during storage.

made simply by cutting one side and slipping it over the edge.
    Last edited by Last Visible Canary; 04-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Yours aren't ghetto by a longgggg shot... nice work by the way.

The inside is two shop rags and cardboard surrounded by "Super Heavy Duty Space Grade Something or Other." The sheath is a slip on that is a inch or so longer than the face of the axe, so it can't cut its way through. May not have class, but I still haven't cut through anything....

I use split garden hose tied on with 1/8 in nylon twine to cover my edges.
    Last edited by scrteened porch; 05-06-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: ditched bad link

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post

The inside is two shop rags and cardboard surrounded by "Super Heavy Duty Space Grade Something or Other." The sheath is a slip on that is a inch or so longer than the face of the axe, so it can't cut its way through. May not have class, but I still haven't cut through anything....
    ha! thats classic! one of my old friends use to have a sheath for his fillet knife made out of cardboard and duct tape...! thats good stuff!

ill post some pics of a few of my 'homemade' sheaths tomarrow... their nothing special, but they are homemade...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Visible Canary View Post
    Made a bunch of ghetto super cheap kydex sheaths for the axes I just rehafted. These aren't made from new sheets of kydex, I took two 12" sheaths I made a while ago and cut them in half, cut the spine and just reformed them. You can really see it on the heavy side of the double bit since it maintained the shape of the bottom of the sheath.

Most of these aren't really tight enough to be used without some kind of latching mechanism, so I used paracord and 1" side release buckles to make them snap-on's without actual snaps (I have none available.) Every knot present on all of these is a variation on a single or double hitch, as those are the only knots I know for general use beyond a square knot and slip knot. Nooses and turks head knots don't really come in handy in day to day life, and I never memorized the truckers knot. Most of my ending knots are just a chain of hitches. Since paracord is slippery, I put a dab of superglue on the end of each chain of hitches.

Edit to add: the gransfors is the sheath it came with. I had to remake a sheath for the wetterlings because the bit cut striaght through the threading when it was dropped from a short distance. I trust the rivets of the gransfors to stop the edge, but I don't trust stitching at all, certainly not after I saw it fail.

Other side:

Off the heads

Couldn't figure out how to sheath this quickly or easily. I don't have any extra leather, and it would be difficult to fabricate a compact sheath out of wood. So, working with what I've got, this is 1/8" vinyl tubing and paracord. It would work a lot better with 1/4 or 3/8" tubing since it would be easier to put on and off, and hold in place. Even though it's a bit of a pain to get on it does keep the edge from getting damaged and keeps my foot from getting cut during storage.

made simply by cutting one side and slipping it over the edge.
    Cool, dig the kydex

At one time I hated making sheaths..Over the years I grew to really enjoy it..Having the right tools to work leather/kydex makesa ll the difference..heresa few of ours..

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post

If I was at home rather than at school, I could post worse.....entire machete sheath. And it works very well too. I have carried that machete around for the past 3 years. I just have to keep retaping the tip, other than that, it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
    At one time I hated making sheaths..Over the years I grew to really enjoy it..Having the right tools to work leather/kydex makesa ll the difference..heresa few of ours.
    That is just fantastic!

I lack even the scantest artistic ability. My father used to do leatherwork and beautiful filigree. But I never caught the bug and probably couldn't do much with it anyway. The few sheaths I've made are nothing but practical.

That is some awesome leather work. When I tell people that some of my work is ghetto, often times they'll tell me it's really good. The reason I call it ghetto is because I know what really good work looks like, like the sheaths you've posted.

Made this today for my Stuart Willis spike tomahawk.

Pipeman made this awesome sheath for my pipehawk, the copper is very thick
    I love all his work, he also helped me make that sheath for the bowie

Some lovely leatherwork there Kentucky. That hawk sling is especially nice.

I've made a good few knife sheaths in my time but only a couple of axe sheaths, and they have both lent themselves to the same pattern:

I'm gonna have to start thinking something new up with my next few projects.
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

My work isn't pretty. Here's a hatchet sheath for the belt that I made a couple of years ago. The ones that come with hatchets (if any) are generally flimsy and too tight. It's hard to get the hatchet in and out without damaging it. And if you drag it through the brush the belt loop tears loose. So I overbuilt this one.

The belt passes through the belt loop twice. The loops are riveted and stitched to the sheath.

I think it will last nearly forever.

I need to acquire some leather skills. You guys do beautiful work.

Heres mine my first attempt top half of austrian ranger boots for the sheath the tongue for the overstrike ive since added some rivets so i dont cut thru the stitching . Rich

Haven't worked in leather for 25 years but wanted a sheath for an axe I am working on for my brother so broke down and made this.

Here one I made for a Fort Turner Rogers' Rangers Hawk. Came out pretty nice.

Here are mine. All home made.

Thank you for looking.

Samek

Nice job Samek, nice collection as well

Samek, Your craftsmanship and skills with leather are inspiring. I really like your designs. Great work.
    Double Ott

Here's a few of mine, many of you have seen them.

Best regards

Robin

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information