Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommentions for a hiking/general outdoors fixed blade.

ADVERTISEMENT
    You could (( lets not hint at a non-BF dealer )) find the Becker BK2 ~$62 shipped and a Spyderco Sharpmaker, too, for ~$52 shipped. That'll leave you enough from that $150 to buy a Buck 110 Folding Hunter (( or this one either )) - and a quick lunch there, too. The BK2 with it's aftermarket Micarta handle is not as comfortable as the OEM handle - save your money. If you opt for the aftermarket Micarta handles, take the original screws to a hardware store and get the same screws, just a 1/4" longer. Here is my new BK2 and older RC-5 (now 'ESEE-5'):

They are both 5" x .25" knives of 1095 carbon steel. The slicker finish of the Becker splits wood with less drag. The Sharpmaker comes with a DVD showing how to use it. Best advice: Use BonAmi or Comet and an old wet sponge to clean the ceramic files regularly. Good luck.

If you want a nice small fixed blade hiking knife, consider the Buck 113.

Stainz
    Last edited by Esav Benyamin; 04-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Also take a look at
    Scrapyard knives. You have to factor in that they don't come with a sheath.

Tougher than nails, superb customer service and warranty. They use tougher steels, ad are bomb proof. busse and swamprat knives are all ” family” knives.

Quote Originally Posted by ozgooner View Post
    Here's the ESEE 4 and Becker BK-2 side by side to give you an idea of the size comparison:

If you shop around you could probably squeeze both into your $150 budget. Both are great knives.

However, personally I'd second the suggestion of the Fallkniven F1. Just an absolutely fantastic blade. Mine has the Bark River handles and is the most comfortable knife to use that I own.
    Holy crap, yall werent kidding that becker is beefy as hell.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im gonna look thru all the suggestions later tonight and make my decision and am going to order tomorrow night. Ill follow you guys up.

There is a Becker forum here but let me warn you ahead of time to stay out of there! Those guys will convince you to buy 3 or 4 or more beckers.

Esee-5 (( lets not point at a non-BF dealer )) is around $130
    Last edited by Esav Benyamin; 04-11-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Listen up, new guys: we do have rules here. Point out brands of knives. If you are going to point to sources, make sure they are approved Bladeforums Dealers on this list: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ums-Dealers***

Otherwise, it is deal spotting.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fa...ctions_banning
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fa...ractions_lists
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fa..._deal_spotting

Auction / Deal / Bargain Spotting

This is a variation of the "no spam" rules that we have. We know you found a great deal on a Ninja Death Tool 3000 - we don't care.

If that dealer wants to advertise on BladeForums.com, encourage them to purchase a Dealer membership here instead of giving them free advertising.

This infraction can be issued as a warning and is worth 10 points towards your total. It expires in 12 months.

Check out the fixed blades for sale area on the forums. You can get a lot of knife for $150 and you are supporting a bladesmith. I love high end production knives because they have a track record of performance and a warranty. A lot of it should boil down to how you are going to use your knife, are you going to beat the crud out of it or do you want a good looking user that will not see the worst of the worst. A few suggestions- Helle knives, any finnish puukko, falkniven, spyderco bushcraft/temperance 2, Entrek forester. Picking a knife out is a lot of fun, so enjoy the journey.

Also, I'm in about the same position as you are (Interning with Microsoft this summer, then graduating next year), but have mainly been into fixed blades, because folders don't really do anything for me right now. So I'm a total n00b there.

I would also look up the Becker BK12 (Ritter MK2). Its basically a shrunk down Becker BK7 with a drop point, or a ESEE 6 with a Becker handle and no choil. It was designed in a collaboration between Ethan Becker and Doug Ritter, but is produced by Rowen (same maker as ESEE, so it has the same warranty).

Right now if I was looking for a midsize-largish belt knife to beat on, the ESEE 6 and BK12 would be up there in my search.

But to parrot what others have said, I think you should really figure out what you want the knife to do, and then we can go more from there. I mean, some people say "batoning" and mean like one or two finger wide pieces of wood. Others mean full on logs. Since you're hiking, I'm assuming you don't want to haul around tons of weight if you don't have to. So while you could go with something like an ESEE Junglas for the chopping and batoning fun, it would be more of a pain to carry depending on how far you hike. The BK16 is going to be an excellent belt knife when it comes out, but if you're looking to split logs with your knife, its not the right choice.

Sometimes it works to try to split those two categories, and the ESEE 6 and Becker BK12 are pretty good at that. But maybe you would be better served by something like the BK16/ESEE 3/4 and a larger chopping style knife to keep in your pack (like a BK9 or a Junglas), or maybe its a folding saw. Just something to think about .

Good luck man .

Quote Originally Posted by roninelh View Post
    Check out the fixed blades for sale area on the forums. You can get a lot of knife for $150 and you are supporting a bladesmith.
    +1. Check out the knifemakers for sale forum. Many great knives to be had. Even if you see something you like but it isn't 100% what you want, PM the blademaker and ask if they can make something an alteration to one of their designs.

Go for the RMD. It's just about the perfect mid-size knife and has a much better handle than most of the others being mentioned. If you can go a little smaller, the F1 is a beauty. These are my two favorites for what you want to do, (not counting customs) out of a considerable collection.

Make sure you try a Becker or ESEE in the hand before you buy.

Try look at some blind horse knives they are awesome!!! anfd they have a lot of bushcraft looking ones!!

u couldnt go wrong with a swamprat rmd. cant go wrond with any busse family knife!!

Outdoors experience is far more important than blade choice. Get a mora, and you will learn what you need or don't need, then you can choose for yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
    Outdoors experience is far more important than blade choice. Get a mora, and you will learn what you need or don't need, then you can choose for yourself.
    Good thread, but brandonc is right, there are other factors to consider, so ... I moved this from General Knife to Outdoor Gear etc.

Check out the Doug Ritter/Becker colab knife !

You need a Buck 119..Seriously, for the price they are sweet..Even if you buy something expensive try a 119 and you won't be sorry..
    CD

Bark River Bravo-1.

The basic Micarta handled ones can be had in your price range.

Others have already suggested the F-1, Ratmandu, ESEE-4, and some other good ones.

I take all 3the of these knives into the woods with me... well except for the middle one, I just got it in the mail yesterday. All of these are within your price range with the Entrek being the most expensive, for around $135. They are laid out cheapest on top to most on bottom. On top is the Gerber Prodigy, for around 40 bucks or so, I think it's a great deal. I've had this one the longest so it has seen the most action. I can't remember the full specs but they're easy to look up. Blade looks to be 5/32 and 4 3/4 long stainless steel. The sheath works great once broken in... a little stiff at first. I'm not sure if it has a full tang or so I haven't batoned with it. But I probably would if I had to. Imo this is the better, USA made version of the Bear Grylls knife. Next is a custom done by a forum member, Mr. Joe Hargis. Excellent quality and it only took about 2the weeks for him to make. 3/16 thick 1095 carbon steel, 5in. blade, full tang, and a leather sheath. I just got it so I haven't had time to take it to the field, but it seems to be a very capable knife. Finally there is the Entrek Bravo 11. 4 9/16 blade 1/4in thick 440c stainless steel with a kydex sheath. I redid the handles, but only because I wanted to. The factory handles were just fine. This is not a custom bur is hand made by Ray Ennis. It runs for about $135. Hope this helps and gives you a couple more options outside Becker and Esee.

If you have large hands the esee may be uncomfortable for you at least the 4 is for me.the bk2 is a much better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by gazz98 View Post
    +1. Check out the knifemakers for sale forum. Many great knives to be had. Even if you see something you like but it isn't 100% what you want, PM the blademaker and ask if they can make something an alteration to one of their designs.
    The best answer I've seen yet. The guys that we have here will make exactly what you want for roughly the price you're looking at. Why buy off the shelf when you can have it custom made to your specs?
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete. I wish I could have done more.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

If you want something that's a little different from what the general masses are carrying, look at the Enzo Camper.

It's full tang O1 or D2 steel with a 5" blade. They come scandi grind with a micro bevel, or you can get them flat ground.

You can buy them finished in about your price range, or you can save a lot of money by purchasing the blade blank and putting your own handle scales on it. Decent but plain leather sheaths are available for about $15. Custom kydex sheaths will run about $25 or so.

I have the Camper in O1 scandi, and it's scary sharp! Keeps a good edge and has a very good temper. It makes a great general purpose utility knife with an emphasis on wood carving. My other knives are getting a lot of drawer time since I finished the Camper.

I've got quite a few nice sheath knives, but my favorites by far are the ones I put some work into. I also enjoy knives that aren't the flavor of the month, so to speak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information