Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a few RANDOM knife questions

Question I have a few RANDOM knife questions

ADVERTISEMENT
    Let me get right to it! :

What is the difference between the first generation Cold Steel American lawman and the "new" one?
    Is the old Cold Steel Ultra-Lock the same thing as the Benchmade AXIS?
    Not many people talk about SOG knives. Are they any good other than excessive bladeplay?
    How many people have the Kershaw Overdrive-2 other than me?

1) First to second gen AK: from ultra-lock to triad lock, from aluminum to G10, minor cosmetic details

2) yes, the old CS ultralock is the same thing as axis lock. CS actually paid a royalty to BM to use it.

3) I don't like sog, mostly because they are cheap feeling, overpriced, have blade play, and it seems the only people who know how to HT AUS8 is CS, kabar, and spyderco. If you like them, you should buy one and see if it is for you

4) Not me!

Quote Originally Posted by bladeboss View Post

What is the difference between the first generation Cold Steel American lawman and the "new" one?
    Not many people talk about SOG knives. Are they any good other than excessive bladeplay?
    1) They removed the steel liners on the handle, thus lightening it to 4oz, and still holding 235lbs of static weight.
    2) Yes
    3) SOG stands for Studies/Observations Group, which was a big thing in Vietnam. Now, moved their whole operation to China, and are charging a mint for the blades. I think they feel cheap, and the excessive blade play that folks are talking about, falls under the cheap category.

These are my opinions, ya'll, nothing more.

Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

1- Got rid of the steel liners to make it lighter
    2-I believe it is very similar
    3-They have nice fixed blades, but the majority of their folders are junk. (in my opinion)
    4-I owned the OD2 a while back. It was a nice knife, but my son liked it more than me.
    -Tom

Looking for Easy Open Jacks of all variety...

If I had a nickel for each thread I've seen here talking about SOG knives...I'd be a rich man.

You have jumped to an incorrect conclusion. It might be worthwhile to read and search a bit more around here before coming to conclusions. Just a suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    If I had a nickel for each thread I've seen here talking about SOG knives...I'd be a rich man.

You have jumped to an incorrect conclusion. It might be worthwhile to read and search a bit more around here before coming to conclusions. Just a suggestion!
    Sorry, but thanks for being nice about it!

One more elaboration on the evolution of the AK-47:
    Aluminum was first, followed by a g10 handled version. Both came with the AXIS licensed "ultra lock" in a 4mm stock blade with grivory handle extension/pommel.
    The new generation AK comes in two sizes with thinner blade stock, Triad lock, less chunky handle ergos and aluminum pommels.

Ummm....a few major things wrong here.

The OP is talking about the American Lawman, for one thing. NOT the AK-47. Like Moose said, they removed the steel liners.

Second, the Ultra Lock is NOT the same as the Axis Lock. The ultra lock uses a two-piece bolt rather than one machined from a single piece, and it rides in a channel cut inside the tang rather than being external and engaging a shelf on the tang.

SOG generally represents a poor value these days but they have a few gems here and there. They've been on a bit of a downhill slide over the past couple of years.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Me...and I really like the OD-2 for my small knife uses.

the OD-2 is my most used knife...used everyday, as a letter opener...

Quote Originally Posted by Leek_Freak View Post
    Haha. I think......

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    The OP is talking about the American Lawman, for one thing. NOT the AK-47. Like Moose said, they removed the steel liners.

Second, the Ultra Lock is NOT the same as the Axis Lock. The ultra lock uses a two-piece bolt rather than one machined from a single piece, and it rides in a channel cut inside the tang rather than being external and engaging a shelf on the tang.
    Doh! I apparantly have comprehension problems . Thanks for the correction

And I did not know that about the Ultralock. I guess that isn't enough of a difference for them to call it their own? I do remember hearing that CS had to pay BM for rights to use it

Quote Originally Posted by res1cue View Post
    Doh! I apparantly have comprehension problems . Thanks for the correction

And I did not know that about the Ultralock. I guess that isn't enough of a difference for them to call it their own? I do remember hearing that CS had to pay BM for rights to use it
    To the best of my knowledge the whole point of the differences in the Ultralock was specifically so they didn't HAVE to pay for the rights. Just like their thumb plates as compared to the Wave Feature. What was the source of that info? 'Cause that sounds odd to me. The UltraLock was sticky, more difficult to build, and not nearly as strong as the Axis Lock. Why shoot the lock design in the foot AND pay for the rights? Besides, they don't have a very good track record of giving credit where credit is due, and if Benchmade was interested in licensing out the Axis Lock we'd be seeing it on many other knives from other brands. It's one of their big bragging points so I don't see them giving that up to anybody regardless of price.

Just my observations.

— Mervyn Peake

To the best of my knowledge the whole point of the differences in the Ultralock was specifically so they didn't HAVE to pay for the rights. Just like their thumb plates as compared to the Wave Feature. What was the source of that info? 'Cause that sounds odd to me. The UltraLock was sticky, more difficult to build, and not nearly as strong as the Axis Lock. Why shoot the lock design in the foot AND pay for the rights? Besides, they don't have a very good track record of giving credit where credit is due, and if Benchmade was interested in licensing out the Axis Lock we'd be seeing it on many other knives from other brands. It's one of their big bragging points so I don't see them giving that up to anybody regardless of price.

Just my observations.
    Hmm... looking around I don't see any official documentation, but I have seen many forum posts on it like Kaizen's post on this one: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-or-ULTRA-lock

I wonder if it is just something thrown around so much that people believe it to be true?

Ok I did some more digging and I found this post by Sal

The Axis lock is based on a rod that passes through two liners and slides forwards and backwards in the slots in the liners.

The ultra lock is a variation of the Axis lick (sliding through slots) and I believe that Cold Steel pays a royalty to Benchmade for the rights to use the Axis patent (Williams & McHenry patent + additional Benchmade patents).

The Arc lock is a variation of Bob Taylor's "Rolling Lock" where the rod does not slide, but rotates in holes in two liners. I don't think that royalties are paid on the lock. The Rolling lock is now owned by Benchmade (sold to Benchmade by Bob Taylor).

Both lock designs can be made as strong as the manufacturer wishes to make them. Both locks have the ability to be very reliable.

sal
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...k-v-ultra-lock

Still coming from an indirect source, and Sal even says he "believes" that they do. Again, I think the odds are more in favor of CS having modified the design enough to get away with not paying any licensing fees.

— Mervyn Peake

Youre right. Just got off the phone with Cold Steel customer service. The lady said that they did NOT pay royalties to use the axis lock.

Thought so. Things just didn't seem to add up right for that to be the case. When you want to find something out you really go for the throat, don't ya'?

— Mervyn Peake

Thought so. Things just didn't seem to add up right for that to be the case. When you want to find something out you really go for the throat, don't ya'?
    Absolutely

And to think.. I have been walking around for the longest time believing it. It's amazing how when things get passed around constantly, it gets taken to be fact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information