Thread: Got the Boker Plus Begg Field marshall. Much better than expected.

Got the Boker Plus Begg Field marshall. Much better than expected.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Man It was a real tough choice whether to get this knife. There is only one you tube video review on it which showed the knife pretty favorably. But that video is filled with misinformation. Then there were not so glowing typed reviews and that made me weary. But I must say the knife is a lot better than expected.

First off the claims are true, its a heavy knife. But not heavy for its size. And despite claims in certain reviews the liners are weight relieved. To some defense of the reviewers they wouldnt know it unless they took the knife apart as the weight relief is done between the G10 and steel where you wouldnt see it. Also despite youtube review the liner lock does not act as the blade stop. Well it does but not solely. There is a secondary hidden stop inside the pivot area like on many newer folder designs. The knife comes with black nylon washers which I have now swapped for PB washers. The action was smooth out of the box but plastic washers always have some give IMO so I wanted 0 play as well as smooth action. This has now been achieved.

Ergonomics are AMAZING on this knife. Todd Begg has always had a knack for making a handle melt in the hand and this is no exception. This knife simply amazes me seeing it is from the chinese boker plus line. Sure it aint no custom but the days of chinese knives being complete garbage seem to be over. Sure they still pump out a lot of crap but this knife is proof positive that they can do good if they try hard enough. The blade has an amazing satin finish on it. I dont know if they have developed a machine that can mimic the look of Hand satin finishes but thats what this knife appears to have is a hand satin finish. Lock up is nice and tight with no play now that its dialed in. My only concern is that the blade tang is curved so I dont know how well the knife will wear over time. Might develop lock rock but we will see. The G10 is smooth yet grippy enough.

The knife came in a nice heavy cardboard box with a tool for adjusting and maintenance. There is a small lanyard pin at the base of the knife but its so small I actually had to install the lanyard while putting the knife together again after some tweaking. Blade steel is 440C. Now before you cringe at this remember 440C can take a wicked edge and its easy to sharpen. Sure it aint no ZDP189 or S30V but I would rather have 440 than just some generic surgical stainless or mystery metal. The blade also sports the trademark Begg slotted blade design which is quite attractive. Flipping is smooth yet a little sluggish. People with experience with flippers will be able to open the knife with 0 wrist movement but just dont expect IKBS or KVT type smoothness and speed. The blade also sports a nice choil for controlled use of the blade. With boker standing behind the product I fully trust that it is genuine 440c. All in all I cant think of too many things not to like about this knife.

I was very excited when I saw this knife being offered. Then I was weary due to the Country of origin. My worries were unfounded. China has upped their game. And its no wonder why some companies are more eager to outsource to their production facilities. There once was a day where it not only saved money but cut quality. That quality gap is quickly closing. The Boker Begg Field marshall is not on par with high end USA production knife in terms of fit and finish but it is most certainly a contender in the low to middle range production folders. IMHO it holds its own against Gerber, Buck and some kershaw USA knives. Put it this way. If the flipper wasnt acid etched with china, I could have believed it to be a German Boker. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Im sure this review wont touch on everything people might want to know so ask away if you need details. Here are some specs:

Just some notes. Its big and people will know you have a big knife in your pocket with the clip design.

Overall Length: 8.875"
    Blade Length: 3.75"
    Blade Steel: 440C
    Handle Material: G-10
    Weight: 7.8 oz.
    Tip down pocket carry
    Tool included
    Hand satin type finish to the blade
    Flipper opening only

Last edited by PURPLEDC; 04-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Great review + pics. One to consider........

Thanks Man. Great job. I was wondering if these are still in production. I was looking for used one but didn't see any.

Quote Originally Posted by MTHall720 View Post
    Thanks Man. Great job. I was wondering if these are still in production. I was looking for used one but didn't see any.
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-F...-3-Satin--9826

(paid dealer)

I was thinking about getting two Boker Plus Epicenter's, but I think I'll get one instead, and go ahead and get the Field Marshall, since I've been wanting it since first sight!!

Quote Originally Posted by cutter17 View Post
    I was thinking about getting two Boker Plus Epicenter's, but I think I'll get one instead, and go ahead and get the Field Marshall, since I've been wanting it since first sight!!
    They are nice. And I have found them to be very pimpable. I havent experimented with converting the knife to IKBS but I plan to. The knife comes with nylatron washers in the pivot but I swapped them for PB washers and this thing is sebenza smooth. Im still gonna do the IKBS but just to test my abilities not because it needs it.

Looks like a tough knife with the saber grind, thick liners and handle material! I like 440c, its tough and holds a good edge. congrats.

Thread Information