Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Custom Tactical Folders?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Very nice this Elishewitz.....

Poltergeist Works

Not familiar with those. They look interesting.

Yes, very nice...... Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by darrex View Post
    Yes, very nice...... Prices?
    That would require contacting the maker. You can do this via his website. He is also present on this forum if I'm not mistaken. Cubix is his nick.

Awesome knives! ^

Whatever you want to call them, let's see more of them ;-)

Heres a few of mine.

Great knives everyone!!!

Very beautifull knives, Serge.........

Quote Originally Posted by stlsrgn View Post
    Whatever you want to call them, let's see more of them ;-)
    Here's some of mine:

Cheers and Regards,
    Nick

Smile

Nick, I so want that little Carey of yours!! I suppose I will continue to lust after it for years to come my friend!

Place holder for my Sergey Rogovets and Ray Laconico....

The Damascus Terzuola and the ANSO are amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Les Robertson View Post
    hi Austin Guy,

Many of the posters mean well and have posted some great photos. Tactical Folder is a marketing term that signifies a particular "Look". It is not signifying a "combat" or some kind of knife carried by military people. Just to clarify since you asked about Tactical Folders.

Tactical Folders do not have the following:

Natural Handle materials
    Damascus anything
    Mirror polished blades.

Moki-Ti and Super Collider materials are starting to show up on a lot of "Tactical" folders. I think a new category needs to be named. I will call it "P-Tac's".

If you are coming to the Blade Show I encourage you (or anyone else) to stop by the seminar I will be conducting called "What to look for in a tactical folder".

Folders with Damascus blades are called....Damascus Folders.

Folders with Natural handle material/mirror finishes....Presentation Folders

Really fancy folders with file work, inlays, etc. Art Folders.

I keep repeating this (for the last 10 years or so) as when I judge the custom knives for the awards at the Blade Show...makers still put knives in the above 3 categories into the tactical folder market. Generally walking right by all the other knives (that look like the one they have) to put it in the wrong category. Then again there are makers who will take the same style of knife and put it in the Presentation, Tactical and Art knife categories. I guess they don't really know what they have so they will take a chance! LOL
    So I just got a copy of K2012.

After looking at pages 52-56, I am thinking that perhaps Joe Kertzman did not get this memo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Virginian View Post
    So I just got a copy of K2012.

After looking at pages 52-56, I am thinking that perhaps Joe Kertzman did not get this memo.
    K2012 or K2013?

Kertzman is a minimally knowledgeable tool who got handed the best box of crayons and nicest paper to draw on ever and insists upon putting out consistent crap(he is consistent, though).

I'll accept Les Robertson's definition before I accept how Joe groups the knives.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
    Victory comes with the sword still in the scabbard
    The Way of the warrior is a dying art

REAL talk!! ^

Hi Virginian,

I like Joe, he is a knowledge editor. However, he is that an editor. As well he works with the photos he has. People love pretty shiny knives. Want proof check out the centerfold of Tactical Knives. Nothing but Damascus, Ivory, etc. I have always wondered with all the tactical knives out there....why are art and presentation knives put in the centerfold. Virginian, perhaps you know.

I am a Field Editor for both Knives Illustrated and Blade. I write for both. I will be the first to admit that I am no BR Hughes and that I know I have very limited knowledge of what it would take to be an editor (especially for the Knife Annual). What I do know is that Joe is limited to what photos are sent to Blade...professionally take photographs. This mere fact limits what knives and makers Joe will have to utilize for the Knife Annual. I would submit to you that the higher end "Hybrids" get as much play in the magazines and Knife Annual that they do; Is due directly to the magazines now requiring professional photographs. The majority of sub $700 don't get professional photographed.

I suspect you didn't get the memo on this.

A couple of custom lefty tactical knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Robertson View Post
    Hi Kriss,

For those of you still confused I would suggest you take a look a the book by Bob Terzuola "The Tactical Folding Knife". I would direct your attention to Page 4 where Bob Terzuola gives credit to the two people who defined what a tactical folder was for him. One of those two people was Bob Neal. The other is writing this post. Oh you might want to check with Steve Shackelford who helped him define the criteria for both the Tactical folder and Tactical fixed blade category. Yep, it was the same person who suggested that the Blade Show include those categories of knives for the custom knife judging. The reason they were included? These knives had a distinct look...they did not fit into the Art, Damascus or Presentation folder categories.
    You mean this book?

Amazing but i thought i had pretty decent eyes and it looks like both a wooden handle, mokume bolster and damascus blade on the cover of that book...knives depicted in the book on pages 13 in the section titled "what is a tactical knife?" also include both natural materials and *gasp* damascus. That chapter also mentions absolutely nothing about the material distinctions you have made here related to judging criteria. Before you go throwing references to out-of-print books, you should go open them up for a refresher.

Maybe you should send Bob a glossy copy of your resume, hand signed with a valuation on your opinion attached so he can start being "learned" from someone who really knows about tactical knives.

For something that is apparently just a marketing term, you seem to claim ownership of a lot of rules about the use of that marketing term. Being a judge at a particular knife show or having any amount of experince in a field doesnt grant domain ownership of an organically-grown marketing term from which you've 99.9% benefitted rather than define.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information