Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel vs. Kershaw ZT?

Cold Steel vs. Kershaw ZT?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey, so I'm looking for a knife right now. I'm gonna be using it on a 9 week basic training survival thing... the limits are that it has to be under 4 inches and a folder(no fixed blades)... I'm looking at the Kershaw ZT 0350 and the Cold Steel Recon with tanto blade. Which one is better in your opinion? I like the lockback style because I find that it holds up better to negative forces imao. I like the sv30 but I've never tried an aus 8 blade. The only thing that is making me like the cold steel a little more is the price. Which one is better as far as sharpness and esp durability? I need it to be able to stand lots of negative forces such as batoning. Thankyou!

I suggest the Benchmade Adamas. Much cheaper than the ZT and better steel than the CS.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogoon View Post

I suggest the Benchmade Adamas. Much cheaper than the ZT and better steel than the CS.
    Agreed

Ahh it looks really nice... kinda pricey for me though:/ I think I'm leaning toward the cold steel... simply because i can buy two of them for the price of the kershaw zt 0200

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogg774 View Post
    Agreed
    On amazon the kershaw is a bit cheaper actually....

Quote Originally Posted by n8swag View Post

what the....

I love my recon 1 clip, but the 0200 and adamas are more suited to your described needs. Also check the SOG Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddogg774 View Post
    I love my recon 1 clip, but the 0200 and adamas are more suited to your described needs. Also check the SOG Vulcan.
    So basically my main question is... if you had to spend a week in the woods with your knife and basically nothing else... would you trust your cs recon 1? I just don't want it to fail when I need it most I like how it's a lockback a little better...

Every CS folder I've bought has let me down. Blade play, poor qc, etc. A lot of people like them, I will never buy another. I would go for the ZT without a second thought.

If you're going to be beating on your knife then the Cold Steel (triad lock) knives cannot be beat at any price. Unless you buy an Andrew Demko custom of course.

If you're more worried about edge retention then go with something else.

I carry an American lawman or a Recon 1 everyday and haven't had any issues with edge retention, but if you're going to be cutting things all day everyday you'll notice the difference between aus8 and s30v, 154cm etc.

what the....
    Seriously... lol. the kershaw zt 0350 that is.

Quote Originally Posted by n8swag View Post
    You're probably not looking at the cheapest Benchmade dealers. There are two that I know of that sell Benchmade cheaper than the others. The forums sponsor one is GP Knives.

You should do a little research before asking a question like this, though. We just had a thread with this exact question a few weeks ago. It devolved into a massive argument because most people here dislike Cold Steel, but they have a few diehard fans. A big part of the problem is that many new members come here knowing nothing about knives, but thinking that Cold Steel makes the "strongest, sharpest knives," then they argue back whenever anyone tells them differently. If you honestly do want to know if Cold Steel's knives are good, though, consider this: Cold Steel's knives are made in Taiwan with subpar fit and finish and bottom of the barrel steel. They only back their products for one year, and even within that one year warranty service is pretty shoddy. A knife with similar materials and build as Cold Steel's most popular models would be something like the Enlan EL-01, and that knife costs under $20 shipped. But Cold Steel sells their knives for as much as better-made American or Japanese knives with better steel and lifetime, no questions asked warranties. The strength of the lock is the only advantage Cold Steel's models have, but considering that no one's having problems with normal locks, this isn't really an advantage. Besides, there's much more to consider in a folder's strength than just the lock.

So yeah, you can get a lot more for your money if you avoid Cold Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pierce View Post
    If you're going to be beating on your knife then the Cold Steel (triad lock) knives cannot be beat at any price. Unless you buy an Andrew Demko custom of course.

If you're more worried about edge retention then go with something else.

I carry an American lawman or a Recon 1 everyday and haven't had any issues with edge retention, but if you're going to be cutting things all day everyday you'll notice the difference between aus8 and s30v, 154cm etc.
    well I'm fairly sure It'll get some beating on... how much difference betweeen japanese aus 8 and s30v? Is it crazy bad or just soso? I prob use my knife around 6 times a day mostly for tape and boxes, but on this particular job I'll be cutting alot more than that.

Dont get an adamas. If your going to be using it out doors then the axis might get it grit in it and crap out.

I would go with the ZT but there are other great options around the price, the dpx hest folder has the rotoblock that makes it a veritable fixed blade and comes at a reasonable price.

nine months out in the woods with a cold steel folder just seems like an all around bad idea, that goes for any aus-8 blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    You're probably not looking at the cheapest Benchmade dealers. There are two that I know of that sell Benchmade cheaper than the others. The forums sponsor one is GP Knives.

You should do a little research before asking a question like this, though. We just had a thread with this exact question a few weeks ago. It devolved into a massive argument because most people here dislike Cold Steel, but they have a few diehard fans. A big part of the problem is that many new members come here knowing nothing about knives, but thinking that Cold Steel makes the "strongest, sharpest knives," then they argue back whenever anyone tells them differently. If you honestly do want to know if Cold Steel's knives are good, though, consider this: Cold Steel's knives are made in Taiwan with subpar fit and finish and bottom of the barrel steel. They only back their products for one year, and even within that one year warranty service is pretty shoddy. A knife with similar materials and build as Cold Steel's most popular models would be something like the Enlan EL-01, and that knife costs under $20 shipped. But Cold Steel sells their knives for as much as better-made American or Japanese knives with better steel and lifetime, no questions asked warranties. The strength of the lock is the only advantage Cold Steel's models have, but considering that no one's having problems with normal locks, this isn't really an advantage. Besides, there's much more to consider in a folder's strength than just the lock.

So yeah, you can get a lot more for your money if you avoid Cold Steel.
    Ahh I see... well the whole reason i'm looking at amazon.com is because I have around $30 in giftcards. so would you recommend the kershaw zt 350 or another knife?

Quote Originally Posted by razorsdescent View Post
    Dont get an adamas. If your going to be using it out doors then the axis might get it grit in it and crap out.

I would go with the ZT but there are other great options around the price, the dpx hest folder has the rotoblock that makes it a veritable fixed blade and comes at a reasonable price.

nine months out in the woods with a cold steel folder just seems like an all around bad idea, that goes for any aus-8 blade.
    I gotcha... So far all my kershaw have been great. I'll check out the dpx

I would and I have relied on my recon 1 for more than a week in the southeastern Oklahoma woods. No problems with it what so ever.

Personally I would go with the 0200 over the 0350. AO in an extended hard use role could possibly be a headache if something were to fail in the mech. The simpler the better. I would say the HEST 2.0 would be a fine knife for your intended use but is a good bit more money than the 0200.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfatts View Post
    Personally I would go with the 0200 over the 0350. AO in an extended hard use role could possibly be a headache if something were to fail in the mech. The simpler the better. I would say the HEST 2.0 would be a fine knife for your intended use but is a good bit more money than the 0200.
    Yeah i was looking at that too, but it just break the budget( I'm thinking 0350 right now... I'm watching a test and it's holding up pretty good!

I'm not as obsessed with the so called "super steels" as some on this forum and honestly, i don't care about CS marketing practices. The reason i don't buy cold steel is because i dont like the way they look. plain and simple. if others like them i say go ahead and buy 'em. That being said this might one of the few situations where steel type could make a really noticeable and considerable difference. It's very impractical to carry a sharpening system with you out in the woods (the lbs add up real quick when they're on your back and small stones aren't very effective) so a longer lasting steel would be a good choice. most of the knives mentioned above would be great and honestly, i would go with what feels good in your hand and you want to have around after your course. The adamas is known for being really tough but i cant see any other benchmade with a suitable blade just snapping or something when the adamas wouldn't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information