Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why this kind of behavior would happen?

ADVERTISEMENT
    HHT from a 140 mesh stone? I don't think so.

I'd love to see a video of that.
    The first sharpening
    The Burr
    How to make a strop

For sharpening inquiries email me at: traditionalsharpening@gmail.com
    Free return shipping on orders over $50

Okay, just as soon as I get a HD video camera.

I used to do it with an edge off of the EP 220 stone too, just to make a point for some co-workers.

This link isn't me, but it's what I do. I apologize, the words aren't accurate, I'll try the actual HHT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBDxqMAQ3Ow

Have you ever seen the other vids leading up to that test? He polishes that edge with a natural Japanese finishing stone with a 30k silicon carbide powder for a slurry.
    The first sharpening
    The Burr
    How to make a strop

For sharpening inquiries email me at: traditionalsharpening@gmail.com
    Free return shipping on orders over $50

Nope, haven't seen the lead up videos, coarse edges with a clean apex will do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TriviaMonster View Post
    On another note, how long did it take to reprofile that steel with that system?

How sharp was it off your first(profiling) stone? If it's not crazy sharp off your first stone, no matter how far you take the edge grit wise, it will never be.

And wow, what a gorgeous 710-2 with M390. I have one just like, it's thin enough behind the edge that newsprint, phone book paper, or whatever else shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, and Congratulations on a gorgeous Axis Benchmade, it surely won't be your last.
    I'm not really an expert at sharpening or reprofiling, I just started 2-3 months ago, I'm still learning

I'm not sure how long it took, i was watching TV while doing it but i think about 1h30 +/- 15 minutes.

Before that I did the same with the S30V of the leatherman charge TTI and it took me less time to reprofile.

And the blade of a leatherman c302 was a joke to do compared to these 2

So far, I never tried the sharpness before going through the 3 stones, 120, 280 and 600. Should I try it when i'm done with the 120 before going to the 280?

What i'm doing is simple, I reach the burr on both side with the 120 then I remove it. before switching to the 280, I grab a sharpie and I do one more pass on each side to make sure it get removed completely.

when I'm ok with the result, I switch to the 280 and I repeat. then the 600 and finally, I test the sharpness.

It is my first expensive knife and yes I agree with you, it wont be the last :-)

I will redo a few pass with the stones on it today, maybe it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimo View Post
    I don't know, but my guess is that lansky 600 grit stone is probably around 22 +-3 micron. Maybe someone else has a the grits for them.

The bottom line is your edge is too coarse.
    The '600' Lansky hone (a ceramic, BTW) is in the ballpark of a medium Spyderco ceramic, maybe slightly finer, in terms of the finish left (hazy mirror). It should easily be fine enough to do the newsprint slicing seen in the OP's video. Or push-cutting, for that matter. The '600' specification sounds coarse, but it's a ceramic '600', which is much finer than a 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, or a 600 mesh diamond, either of which would leave a much coarser finish.

As to making the newsprint cutting easier, either thinner geometry (15 degrees/side, or less) or smoother shoulders on the bevel (as in convex) makes a huge difference. The easiest 'fix' is the latter of these two, with just some 'stropping' on something like 600+ grit sandpaper. Keep the angle low, to avoid messing with the edge itself. Just smooth the shoulders of the bevel. Beyond this, all the same fundamentals apply (fully apexed edge, all burrs & wires cleaned up).
    Last edited by Obsessed with Edges; 04-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.

this is after a few more pass on the stones:

this is after a few pass on a very old belt, about an inch wide:

the belt did a huge difference

Looks good.

Sounds like fully apexing and additional burr/wire clean-up did the trick. Did you take it back through all three hones, or just do a little more with the 600?

Either way, looks like you've figured it out. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed with Edges View Post
    Looks good.

Sounds like fully apexing and additional burr/wire clean-up did the trick. Did you take it back through all three hones, or just do a little more with the 600?

Either way, looks like you've figured it out. Nice work.
    yes, every hones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information