Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: BEHOLD!! The BK16!!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beckerhead #68 Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,135

    ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by runtothehills View Post
    Opps! put the 1 in front of the 4. Machax! you wanted to test it out.
    Oh! OK. Maybe Thursday if you are avail. Or tomorrow if you want to come this way. The 16 has a date with destiny tommorow (and Jasco). I will be the test subject to how easy this coating is to strip.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    Posts
    6,824
    whats a bk16? Looks like a mini bk2. are these production now? whats the length and width of these? can i get them with different colored handles? why does the logo look so weird? why are you wearing a scarf AND a tshirt in your pic? was it cold only above your shoulders?


    BK5


    trolling trolling trolling.........

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beckerhead #68 Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by clich View Post
    whats a bk16? Looks like a mini bk2. are these production now? whats the length and width of these? can i get them with different colored handles? why does the logo look so weird? why are you wearing a scarf AND a tshirt in your pic? was it cold only above your shoulders?
    Actually...That was in the michigan woods last summer with the worst mosquitos I'd ever seen in my @$%& life. And it's not a scarf, it's a shemegh.


    I modded the sheath already, will post pics in a bit. My complaint was it looked like too big a sheath for the knife, plus the retention sucked. I heat-molded the liner, and made a few tiny cuts and folded the bottom part (with the leg tie down holes) up behind the sheath and glued in place. Nice and neat...and looks more reasonable a size for that knife. It's not too tight, but you can hold it upside down without the knife falling out.

  4. #24
    Well, I'm glad you finally got your 16, Tanner. Looking forward to seeing the sheath mods. My 17 shipped today from GP. Hopefully it's here by the end of the week.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    Posts
    6,824
    U really wanna see a side by side with the FPR.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beckerhead #68 Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,135
    Added more pics to post #1, including pics of what I did to the sheath to make it look shorter.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BH # 131... At school
    Posts
    1,999
    When I was testing the Proto BK17, I also noticed that the sheaths were all sized for the BK15, even though the others were quite a bit shorter. I was wondering what a mod like that would look like, so I appreciate that.

    Also, I feel the same way about the handle on the tweeners. They aren't quite as hand filling as I wanted. I will be putting liners on the BK16 as soon as I get it because I also like the larger handles.

    How does the BK16 compare the MK1 for bushcrafty things? The Bk17 is good, but the FFG on the MK1 edged it out in things like feathersticks and drilling, so I thought I'd get the best of both worlds with the BK16 .

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beckerhead #68 Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    When I was testing the Proto BK17, I also noticed that the sheaths were all sized for the BK15, even though the others were quite a bit shorter. I was wondering what a mod like that would look like, so I appreciate that.

    Also, I feel the same way about the handle on the tweeners. They aren't quite as hand filling as I wanted. I will be putting liners on the BK16 as soon as I get it because I also like the larger handles.

    How does the BK16 compare the MK1 for bushcrafty things? The Bk17 is good, but the FFG on the MK1 edged it out in things like feathersticks and drilling, so I thought I'd get the best of both worlds with the BK16 .
    Sounds like you would love the MkI. Very hand filling, and the kraton gives a superb grip. Honestly...I would probably grab the MkI first for bushcrafty stuff. One, so I keep my 16 looking good longer, two because the handle on the MkI gives superb control. Not that the BK16 isn't going to be an obvious Becker Bushcrafter...I'm coming from a standpoint of someone who has both. (that would have been a great name...The BK16 Becker Bushcrafter)

    I though when I got my BK16 I would fall out of love with the MkI, but alas, this is not the case. I'd say they are equals. The MkI is slightly longer in the blade...the BK16 in the handle. The BK16 has more sheath option/carry possiblities due to the slim design than the MkI though.

    Plus..You can get the MkI for about $48 on a retailer named after a large south american river....not going to break into the Becker budget much. And it's still a Ka-Bar, so it's a Becker cousin.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BH # 131... At school
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Tanner View Post
    Sounds like you would love the MkI. Very hand filling, and the kraton gives a superb grip. Honestly...I would probably grab the MkI first for bushcrafty stuff. One, so I keep my 16 looking good longer, two because the handle on the MkI gives superb control.

    I though when I got my BK16 I would fall out of love with the MkI, but alas, this is not the case. I'd say they are equals. The MkI is slightly longer in the blade...the BK16 in the handle. The BK16 has more sheath option/carry possiblities due to the slim design than the MkI though.
    I actually own the MK1 right now, but it is going to be gifted to a friend. I got it for a comparison review with the BK17. I thought I would like the 17 more than I did, and thought that the BK16 would be a merging of the things I liked about the 17 and the MK1 (FFG and Full width tang).

    Still, good to think about .

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Down by the beach boyee
    Posts
    551
    Congrats on the 16. Mines on its way, and I can't wait.
    Does anyone have any kydex from azwelke yet for the 16 ? I'd love to see it with some kydex pants on.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beckerhead #68 Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    I actually own the MK1 right now, but it is going to be gifted to a friend. I got it for a comparison review with the BK17. I thought I would like the 17 more than I did, and thought that the BK16 would be a merging of the things I liked about the 17 and the MK1 (FFG and Full width tang).

    Still, good to think about .
    I will probably change my mind once the BK16 is stripped and re-sheathed. I usually put that Wilson wrap on my Becker handles for A+ grip. Can't do it now..would be too tight in the stock sheath. Once kydexed, I can.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4
    Hello! I recently just bought my first REAL knife, a BK-2. It's a bull and I'm really happy with it. I am looking for my next blade - a good food prep and fine carving / wood crafting tool. Would the BK-16 be something I should look into purchasing? I am also considering making this my EDC.

    Very nice knife!!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beckerhead #68 Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by GimPy2434 View Post
    Hello! I recently just bought my first REAL knife, a BK-2. It's a bull and I'm really happy with it. I am looking for my next blade -a good food prep and fine carving / wood crafting tool. Would the BK-16 be something I should look into purchasing? I am also considering making this my EDC.

    Very nice knife!!
    Maybe the 15 would be better?

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Beckerhead #205 Western Australia
    Posts
    2,126
    Nice!

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ozark hill country of MO/AR
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabarcamper View Post
    Congrats on the 16. Mines on its way, and I can't wait.
    Does anyone have any kydex from azwelke yet for the 16 ? I'd love to see it with some kydex pants on.
    its by no stretch of the imagination an azwelke,,,,but here is the 16 in kydex


  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southwest Missouri Beckerhead #091
    Posts
    1,007
    I definitely like the the looks of the full ground over the saber ground version.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ozark hill country of MO/AR
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by SaturatedShadow View Post
    I definitely like the the looks of the full ground over the saber ground version.
    Im the opposite...I like a sabre. The reason I payed more for my FPR16 was because I saw a pic of the FFG 16. they might look better stripped and patinaed/etched.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Owen Sound ON, Canada
    Posts
    929
    I need the ffg bk16, like I have ever needed a blade!

    Some fool spent all my money on some overpriced "First production run" travesty and now I can't get it.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,809
    Now put a sweet Convex edge on that baby...

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Beckerhead #205 Western Australia
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexxx View Post
    Now put a sweet Convex edge on that baby...
    Tanner hates convex edges, I asked him about them and he didnt know what they were. Unless its those convex edes with a micro V edge you might have more luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •