Thread: oil for D2 steel???

oil for D2 steel???

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello folks!! My first post here. I've been a member for awhile but haven't posted anything yet.
    I just snagged a benchmade nitrous striker on eBay for a good price. As most of you know its blade is d2 steel. I've heard its a high quality steel but can easily get rust stains or spots. What kind of oil would you recommend I keep on the blade to help prevent rust spots? Where can I get the oil. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Especially those with d2 knives. The blade is not coated black. This will be my new edc as I am retiring my old al mar s2k after years of good service. Thanks my fellow knife enthusiasts!!

Blog Entries
    Never oiled mine, and have not had rust problems. So long as you keep the blade clean it should not be a problem. Some folks like to use Tuf Cloth, that works well; however, not if you plan on ever using that knife to prepare any sort of food.

Stockton, CA - We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
    D2 is honorary stainless. Technically it isn't stainless, but almost. Keep it clean and dry and it will give you years of good service. I like rem oil.

-Xander

Like Rev and riot said, unless you live next to the ocean or you plan to use the knife in a corrosive environment, you should be OK. I've had uncoated D2 blades for years, mostly BM, and never had any issue with them corroding. Mine have been used around the house, in the woods, in the warehouse, anywhere that I needed a knife. If I do want to use something on the blade, I'll use food-grade mineral oil. Not for food prep, but just because my skin is allergic to most synthetic chemicals like Tuff-Glide, Rem Oil, Militec, etc.
    Regards, Dale
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers 1879-1935
    ISEK #12

Thread Information