Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I being petty that this bothers me?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I think I remember reading somewhere a long time ago, that a little copper in the alloy enhances low alloy steels (or makes them act more like higher alloys) and has a similar effect as carbon. Don't know for sure if that's true or not, but it could help explain why they (RR spikes) seem to perform a little better than expected with such low carbon content.

Anyone else ever heard anything like that?

I once tested some un-marked spikes with an acid bath (using fresh acid) and they all came out copper plated given time.

(Forgot to mention a buddy of mine quenched some HC spikes in water and had them Rockwell tested at 50-52... not conclusive by any means, but kind of hard.)

Definitely not “high performance” by today’s standards, but classically it probably would have been considered a pretty useful toolish/weaponish piece of metal.

They also seem to be deeper hardening than most of the 10xx series steels...

I think it’s interesting stuff. I guess that makes me sound like more of a nerd than a snob,… especially sitting behind this twerpish computer with nothing better to do at the moment.
    Last edited by Tai Goo; 04-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Now, spikes are a source of "found" steel that makes sense. RR spikes are reliable, available, and workable.

Even though the vast majority of spikes are driven by track laying machines, the image of a long row of swarthy men swinging 9# hammers is part of the mystique of spike art pieces.

I especially like to make Frederick's crosses.

(F,C,F,Dm7,repeat) Oh, John Henry when he was a little baby,.....Sittin' on his Pappy's knee,......... Hit it Tai. Lets see a youtube of ukulele John Henry video.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

... About the only time I use RR spikes is,... to make RR spike "novelty" knives.

Some knife nerd skinned, gutted and butchered a hog in the field with one of mine once... just needed sharpening afterwards... go figure?

Who'd have thought?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlc...eature=related
    Last edited by Tai Goo; 04-18-2012 at 01:41 PM.

We have made a butt load of RR spike knives from HC spikes..I was pleasantly supprised at how hard they would get in a super quench solution..Sold a lot of them at craft fairs and such for gifts..One guy told me he skinned and dressed a deer with one without having to sharpen it..Nothing to brag about in the custom knife world at all but to a guy who was use to $10 flea market knives I suppose it was.. I know people who have had them tested at about 50RC..Lots of RR employees and miners around here..They are popular for gifts and stocking stuffers..Kinda fun to make too..

... A knife is a tool,... therefore, RR spikes are tool steel.

"HC" spikes are "high carbon" tool steel.

I get it.

(I totally get it!)

I've split a few toads in my day...
    Last edited by Tai Goo; 04-18-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Unhardened spike vs. hardened spike:
    (Makes a decent cold cutter.)

(Kind of toolish/foolish)

One of mine
    Last edited by Tai Goo; 04-18-2012 at 02:47 PM.

That is real fancy Tai: One of these days if we ever meet I will show you how to develop my secret Penzoil Damascus RR spike blade.

Thanks Ed. I'd love to see that.

Oddly, I've probably gained as much or more recognition from my RR spike knives as I have from anything else... even canola.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information