Thread: 2006-2007 Snow & Nealley Axe

Thumbs up 2006-2007 Snow & Nealley Axe

ADVERTISEMENT
    Evening folks,

I purchased a 30" 'Our Best' 3# Axe from Craigslist tonight. Owner said it was purchased 5-6 years ago which would put date of sale as 2006-2007 and probably indicate production as 2005-2006. Based upon what you know of company history, would this have been a 100% American made axe in that timeframe?

As a side note, this is my first axe. The grain looks good. It's balanced. The bit is straight to the heft and has never been used. I paid $45. Pretty good deal I'd say. Now it's time to sharpen and get outside.

Thanks!
    Rhon Bell
    www.BackwoodsPlaid.com
    Last edited by BackwoodsPlaid; 04-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Nobody knows whether this axe head would have been forged in the USA?

Thanks!
    Rhon Bell
    www.BackwoodsPlaid.com

Quote Originally Posted by BackwoodsPlaid View Post
    Nobody knows whether this axe head would have been forged in the USA?

Thanks!
    Rhon Bell
    www.BackwoodsPlaid.com
    Who is this nobody! If nobody knows we need to ask him.
    Pictures would help with the ID

See the comments in this article. The poster contacted the manufacturer (S&N) in 2007 and was told forgings were (are) done in China, so... I would think yours was manufactured in China and "finished" in Maine.

http://countrylife.lehmans.com/2007/...ng-from-china/

Comments quoted below:
    "October 3rd, 2007 at 6:30 am

It’s a tough call isn’t it? Speaking for myself, on one hand I want to be frugal, and on the other I don’t want junk. Sometimes its brand recognition. For instance, Do I want a “Snow and Neally” axe or a “Shandong Pangu Tool co.” (real company) axe? In the case of the Snow & Neally axe, it becomes trickier… A quick call to S & N this morning and I now know that the axe head starts in China and is finished here in Maine. What that exactly entails I didn’t completly catch but it was something like, forged in China, tempered and edged here in Maine. The handle of course is American Hickory.
    I know I would prefer to just purchase American made products but that’s not realistic. I think it comes down to making informed purchases and buying for what your needs are.

October 4th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

I was surprised to hear that part of the Snow and Neally “USA-made” axe was made in China.

So, I called the manufacturer myself, who reported that the “raw forgings” are made in China to their specific quality specifications. All of the subsequent manufacturing steps (tempering, assembly, sharpening, etc) are done in the USA.

They told me that they cannot find a USA foundry to make the type of casting (or “forging”) that they need. It seems that all the ones they know about have been put out of business by Chinese competition. (They appealed to me to help them find a USA foundry that can do this. If you know of one, let me know!)"

Just thought I'd give you a heads up Rhon. Signatures are not allowed unless you're a paying member, I've just seen some other users get in clinch with admins over this. Just thought I'd let you know!

Ahh did not realize that... thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Senserazer View Post
    Just thought I'd give you a heads up Rhon. Signatures are not allowed unless you're a paying member, I've just seen some other users get in clinch with admins over this. Just thought I'd let you know!

Originated in China or not S and N is the real deal. Bet it turns out to be on nice axe. Good score!

Thread Information