Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 BladeForums Limited Kershaw Skyline PREORDER Thread - S30V, Blue G10 - $90 ea

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by mcraft View Post
    What would you think of scales made of this: http://compositeenvisions.com/raw-fa...5-5oz-380.html , or this: http://compositeenvisions.com/raw-fa...-5oz-711.html? Cool, or not so cool?
    i would pay entirely too much money for scales made of either of those... especially for my TiLT.

It is on the first post: BladeForums.com Limited Edition Kershaw Skyline 1760BFC
    yep, i'm dumb.

Will this knife be marked Forum knife on the blade ???

I just ordered one anyway .....
    Iam a semi lurker on this forum , this is the first Ive seen of this thread .....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by solidorange View Post
    i would pay entirely too much money for scales made of either of those... especially for my TiLT.
    yep, i'm dumb.
    Nahh, yer not dumb, that was posted in April. Only reason I knew is that I am a new member and only found out about these knives a couple of weeks ago from someone's sig. Thats y I remembered it was there. If I had read it in April... I wouldn't have remembered either .
    Last edited by mcraft; 10-01-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Nahh, yer not dumb, that was posted in freaking April. Only reason I knew is that I am a new member and only found out about these knive a couple of weeks ago from someone's sig. Thats y I remembered it was there. If I had read it in APril... I wouldn't have rememberd either .

It has been a year or two since I have done any serious CF fab work, will have to dig out all of my gear, see if my old suppliers are still around, and go from there. I also need to ask questions of tfe mods on the rules, i.e. just get a gold membership and post in the for sale section or what, IF I find time to make these, CF fab can take a while and is pretty unforgiving, and when you screw up... there goes the cloth, which can be upwards of $100 just for one sheet of THAT stuff.

I envy you and that Tilt, what a unique and beautify blade! I didn't even catch the pre-order before the sold out, and being a CF nut I would have been all over that, especially with that Vanax comp blade, I don't have any blades with that steel yet (ZDP-189 either... I know, WTF is wrong with me . The most exotic steel I have is either Damascus (which isn't really a steel, and I am not sure what steels were used in making the Damascus), and well crap, that's it. I just realized I have a HUGE hole in my collection, I may should do one with just exotic/new super steels, that would be neat.

The rest of my blades have normal steels, CPM-M4, SV-30/35 (and a couple of CPM version of those), tons of VG-10 (relative to the others) and then a ton of Aus 8 and 154CM of course. I am sure I am missing a couple with over 100 blads, but nothing inportant. The rest I really don't count, the value / thumper knives that I will use for practice when my WE Pro Pack II comes in on reprofiling, double or triple beveling, polishing, and whatever else I can think of . The Pro Pack 2 still isn't even on their website yet, but talking to Clay I said I wanted to get the kitchen sink (several additional stones than the PP1) and wanted the new arms with increased angle flexibility, etc. so I was able to order the PP2 as were several others. I of course still had to add on additional stones and accessories, so my bill was over a grand, but thank goodness for their 25% military discount and great people that work there, ended up at $650ish, and I got ALOT of stuff (in addition to a few other specialized stone sets, tons of extra strop leathers and diamond paste, upgrade to extic blue marble base, not gonna give a whole lot but it is gonna be one heck of a kit!). Not sure where I was going with that, I guess I am just excited for that WE PP2 with the Gen 3 arms as well as for this 1760BFC , ordered a long time ago but have they have been working on and waiting for the new arm system to be perfected before they will ship them

Anyway, back to that wonderful Tilt, that one would be easy, only one scale and mostly angular vs curves, MUCH easier to machine. It was on my list to buy one anyway, I will look at making a custom scale for that one probably first, it looks really easy. Once I sort out with the mods the rules and if I will have time to do this right, I will give you a shout. It wouldn't be "cheap", but I wouldn't price gouge either, will probably do it based on like $15/hr labor (actual labor, not cure time, etc.) or so and parts costs. I hate it when I see what I know is price gouging on other custom stuff, and LOVE it when I see fair pricing for custom stuff, I would rather be a part of the latter crowd .

There is also a second option, just as I fabbed parts for cars out of either CF or fiberglass, I also just layered CF on to existing parts (like trim pieces, etc.). Depending on the current scales that could be done as well, a much cheaper option, albeit you are modding the current scale and in most cases in an irreversible way. Have to cogitate on this a bit.

What serial number Tilt do you have? Just curious.
    The TiLT is probably the finest knife I own; this includes many "high-end" knives in the $150+ range. The fit and finish are absolutely amazing, and opening/closing it feels like sliding a puck across an air-hockey table. I have handled many customs in the $500+ range that do not hold a candle to what the TiLT has to offer. Mine is 4001SW #176.

Adding a sheet of orange CF on top of the existing scale would be easy, but I wouldn't want to alter it in a completely irreversible way. If you ever get around to making an orange one, I am totally in to buy it. Contact me any time!

[/off topic]

Quote Originally Posted by solidorange View Post
    The TiLT is probably the finest knife I own; this includes many "high-end" knives in the $150+ range. The fit and finish are absolutely amazing, and opening/closing it feels like sliding a puck across an air-hockey table. I have handled many customs in the $500+ range that do not hold a candle to what the TiLT has to offer. Mine is 4001SW #176.

Adding a sheet of orange CF on top of the existing scale would be easy, but I wouldn't want to alter it in a completely irreversible way. If you ever get around to making an orange one, I am totally in to buy it. Contact me any time!

[/off topic]
    Ya, I wouldn't go the easy way either on a collectible knife of that value.
    Last edited by mcraft; 10-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Oh, jeez. I have no self control.

I was jealous, seems like everyone is getting at least two. I already ordered one a while back, just put in an order for one more... couldn't resist! One for the collection, one for the pocket.

I probably should have thought ahead and just ordered two at once the first go around and avoided paying shipping twice... drat. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I assume that we're going down to the wire and getting our knives shipped on 9/30. Any idea how close we are to selling out?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    Any idea how close we are to selling out?
    Does anyone know ???
    Iam thinking on gettin another ............

Do we not have the ability to send a message to Jimmer or Spark?

Release dates are moving targets at best. Why would this knife be any different? Kershaw is a busy place.

If I had the interest it would take me less than 5min. to count forward from Sparks last post announcing, I think it was, 107 left. My guess is less than 40 posts of knives ordered since then.

Don't get me wrong I am just as excited as the next knife nut to posses this knife. But I never had any expectations that this Skyline would be on time, it appears I am alone in my calmness.

I'm starting to think Spark ran off with the $45,000

Delete
    Last edited by mcraft; 10-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.

I doubt it, as the owner of the forums (probably the most popular blade forum on the net behind knife forums) my guess is that his income from this forum is much higher, and a legal, entrepreneurial enterprise to be commended for its success that will most likely continue to grow as more people become addicted to knife collecting (it is like a freaking disease ). To throw that away for $45K on a scam where he would easily be caught and everything he has worked for thrown away wouldn't make any sense. Maybe I am wrong about the income from the forums, etc. but I doubt it. 2 shot's analysis is probably more accurate, everyone is busy. Plus, the forum is making $ from these knives anyway... given the same specs, no way would Kershaw charge $90 for this knife. A "good deal" is not the main reason why most people are buying this knife, at least not because $90 for this knife is NOT a good deal in and of itself. But if you look at the fact that part of the proceeds support a place you and many others like to frequent, the memberships that are included in the purchase, etc. then it IS a good "package" deal. If you didn't care about bladeforums or a membership, then not so much. If you do... then it is a good deal. Now, if you are also a knife collector and value something limited in production... taking one of the coolest value EDCs ever made, and then adding improvements in almost every aspect of that knife that aren't available anywhere else for purchase... well that turns it from a deal into a bargain.

Pardon the boring post, but I just read Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics back to back, it has screwed up how I think, not sure if in a good or bad way yet .
    Don't worry... I wasn't serious!

I ordered one!

Delete
    Last edited by mcraft; 10-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Ordered. Will be my third "real knife" since I got hooked on blades a few weeks ago. I'm going about this backwards. Saw a Wicked Edge by sheer coincidence and was so impressed by his pictures that I ordered one. Then I needed something besides a $10 flipper from Autozone so I got the ZT 0561, a CR Sebenza large, and now this. If I could find a Tilt, I'd have that one too. Do you ever run out of knives to buy, or do you just stay hooked and keep on buying?

Quote Originally Posted by choppedlow View Post
    Ordered. Will be my third "real knife" since I got hooked on blades a few weeks ago. I'm going about this backwards. Saw a Wicked Edge by sheer coincidence and was so impressed by his pictures that I ordered one. Then I needed something besides a $10 flipper from Autozone so I got the ZT 0561, a CR Sebenza large, and now this. If I could find a Tilt, I'd have that one too. Do you ever run out of knives to buy, or do you just stay hooked and keep on buying?
    you can try to convince yourself that you’re done buying knives.. but you’ll ALWAYS find something else to buy. just last week i told myself “your collection is excellent.. you dont need anymore right now.” the next day... i bought three more. lol once you have a quality knife in your hands, and not some shitty mall ninja Budk special, you are hooked.

Have fun not having any money

Don't worry... I wasn't serious
    Too late ... you're getting the blem!

Quote Originally Posted by HotSteel View Post
    Too late ... you're getting the blem!
    Hey, if there are blems for a discount, put me in line for one !

Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread Information