Thread: Old 1237 skinner restored/pimped

Old 1237 skinner restored/pimped

ADVERTISEMENT
    This was a knife that was knocking around in my Dad's tool box. Don't know any history but it was in really bad shape. Heavily rusted, pitted and missing the pommel. The tang where the pommel attached was almost completely rotten out with rust. I went to work on this knife about 13 years ago in my basement with only a vise, some files, hand saw and sandpaper to work with. I made a pommel out of some old wood. Back then I polyeurathaned everything . I used a wood screw that I cut the head off and threaded the other end to screw into the tang (like a stud). I epoxied everything at the time of assembly. I finally found a sheath at the Stl knife show last January that finished the project off. It has a wickedly sharp convex edge. Figured it was about time to show it off. Anyone have a guess of when the knife may have been made? Hope you KA-BAR folks like it

====================
    Keep em' sharp!
    Kurt

Oh wow, that is an fantastic blade, and lookin' good too!!!

Don't know when it was made, there are some folks around here that do, stick around some, we'll find out.

Moose
    After this, I'm gonna need a Percocet the size of a Hardee's biscuit......-Unknown Millwright

made2cut,

Your knife was produced sometime between 1950-70. Made at the KA-BAR Olean, NY factory.
    Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
    Sr Eng
    Prod Dev and Qual
    KA-BAR Knives

Thanks Paul!
    ====================
    Keep em' sharp!
    Kurt

Nice old blade, wicked ergo's for breaking down game, like a long sharpfinger.

Great job on the blade! What did you use to get the scratches down? With any luck I'll be restoring this knife in the next few weeks... *dreads making new pommel*

Thread Information