Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schrade 93OT - Clip & sheepsfoot only ... c'mon other mfg.'s - make a knife like this

Schrade 93OT - Clip & sheepsfoot only ... c'mon other mfg.'s - make a knife like this

ADVERTISEMENT
    First off, Fausto deserves a big "THANK YOU!" for bringing this knife to my attention in the first place. Here's a link to his thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...no-not-GEC-s-)

If you look on a popular auction site you'll find some of the new Schrade overseas-manufactured 93OT's being offered. I've only owned one China made Schrade and it was a well built knife. This 93OT I snagged was a NIB USA made one.

As evidenced from some of the responses to Fausto's thread and other comments elsewhere, it seems like this blade combo might be well received if offered by GEC, Buck, Case, Queen, etc. A lot of people like the stockman pattern, and for good reason. It also seems like there are a fair number of people (myself included) who have no need/use for the spey blade on a stockman, but really, really like a clip blade paired with a sheepsfoot.

The obvious "solution" is to just carry a stockman and ignore the spey blade, but this version has the benefit of no blade crinking or blade rub, and slightly less weight due to only two blades. The wharncliffe trapper is also a great "solution", but personally I like a shorter straight-edged secondary blade as opposed to two equal length blades. YMMV. Not trying to start a war here of stockman vs. wharncliffe trapper vs. 93OT-like knives - just showing an example of another way to get a clip paired with a sheepsfoot.

So, whaddya think ..... odd duck or good idea?

930t-2.jpg930t.jpg
    Last edited by coyote711; 04-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.

2. The topic does seem to come up often enough that there seems to be sufficient interest to warrant manufacturer attention. I'm hoping that 300Bucks has success with marketing the 2-blade to Buck. The Case (uncredited Bose) Wharncliffe trappers and Hawbaker muskrats like the Case/Bose Muskrat are similar 2-spring knives with a clip and straight blade. GEC made the Conductor pattern with a clip and coping blade on a single spring. Using a single spring makes a much more streamlined knife. I hope to have a 2-blade 1-spring Sowbelly custom made.

Going through the old catalogs, you'll actually find lots of examples of knives with either a drop point or clip main and straight secondary. Here's a beautiful example of an old sleaveboard with a clip and coping secondary. ...even has a lockback.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fartsmella View Post
    It's not a lockback whittler, only a half whittler. I beleive Mr. Bose made a version of this pattern. It's marked HAMMER BRAND on the master blade and NEW YORK KNIFE CO WALDEN on the coping blade. Hope these pix are useful, Barry &&&&

I like it! One of my favorite carry blades is an old Schrade Walden muskrat (787) with one of the clip blades modified into a sheepsfoot. The modified muskie has the added benefit of being a little slimmer in the pocket due to its single spring, but I like the jack variation you show as well. Very nice.

Frosty

Looks great Keith!! When I searched for one last year, all I saw were the overseas ones. Glad you found a local one Gives me hope that there's one out there for me too.

I like it too, Keith and yours looks like it's in great shape. I don't think other manufacturers would have a problem selling a knife like this. I agree that they should give it a shot.
    Rick T.

Congrats on that Keith!

I would love to see GEC make a single spring version of the 57 with only the two blades that are opened in the below photo.

What do you think?

93OT, Schrade 893, and a Schrade Walden 825 with two blades.

I agree. That is exactly what I want. It's the most useful combination.

S&M Hotriculture 2007

Neeman

Great looking pattern? Indeed!

Useful? Yes!

Wish I had one.......you betcha!

Ok..can I be the one who sticks his neck out?, why a sheepsfoot as a secondary?...is there THAT much more difference in that style of blade compared to a Spey or a Wharncliffe?...What we are basically talking about here is a Jack knife, a two bladed knife,...I personally think you have to be in a VERY specific job/usage demand for the secondary blade to make all that much more difference in todays world.
    Hals phots's have once again made me take a step back ( lovely knives Hal )_..but in TODAYS usage and times...what secondary blade really makes the difference compared to a Sheepsfoot to a Spey or a Wharanclifffe?..why are you demanding the old timer from Todays manufacturer?... now please dont get me wrong, Im not looking for a argument here, I simply have the old timers, and a lot of Jacks, and they are just as good as each other!
    Edit..what I am trying to say is do we as users ( in today's more aesthetically demanding world-compared to actual practicality ) all sorts of different styled knife combinations really do have the demand these days in TODAYS modern world to demand a manufacturer to expect the return of income for initiating the costs of tooling such a knife?
    Last edited by Campbellclanman; 04-22-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

Keith,
    my answer is pretty obvious. Glad you found the knife I wrote about. I've also seen a custom made version of this same pattern (not sure who posted it, nor if it was made by - Rick Menefee or Ken Erickson, I'm pretty sure it was one of the two) which looked great.
    Duncan,
    I don't know about market strategies of today's knife producers. I do know that, in my everyday use, having a smaller straight blade (sheepsfoot or wharncliffe) paired with a master clip blade in a jack configuration (not a fan of opposite end configurations) would be the perfect pattern for my use. I would use the secondary blade for "dirty" tasks (opening packages and so on), taking advantage of the somehow pointy blade (which I wouldn't get with a spey) and for "precision" cuts, leaving the main clip blade for clean tasks (food). Again, tastes vary, needs and uses are a very personal matter, but I guess I'm not the only one on this. As for producers, I will keep hoping that GEC starts this pattern on their #66 frame. They would just need to replace the pen blade with a wharncliffe (which they already make, on other patterns - like in Kevin's knife - or in the #66 calf roper). I know most people just use a stockman, and eventually "forget" about the spey blade, so I might wait forever...still I believe it would be a great idea.

Fausto
    Last edited by quattromori; 04-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.

I find the small sheepsfoot particularly good for grooming nails. Making small precision cuts. Basically anything requiring "small". And the large clip point for everything else. I also prefer the main blade to be a bit heavy. Not thin.

A wharncliffe is OK, but it just doesn't take the place of the sheepsfoot.

My perfect edc, would be a Case-Bose Dogleg Jack with a secondary sheepsfoot instead of the pen blade.
    Last edited by Brasso3; 04-22-2012 at 09:03 AM.

I agree with you on some points Duncan, but I love the sheepsfoot for precise cutting on a straight line. Don't much have a use for a spey. What is almost as difficult to find is the same knife, with a turkish clip, sheepsfoot, and a pen... in a slim stockman frame at around 3 1/2". We obsessed knife collectors can desire whatever we want.

Agree
    A stockman pattern without the spey blade, perfect!

Ray

Great feedback and pictures so far - thank you all!

I probably could have chosen a better title for this thread ..... maybe something along the lines of "My ideal blade combo." I don't know if any manufacturer would find it worthwhile (profitable) to produce a knife like this or not, but certainly GEC at least has shown a willingness to think outside the box. Think "boot knife".

As mentioned, it doesn't seem like it would take much to tweak one of their existing patterns and come up with a two bladed knife that has a main clip blade and a shorter, straight secondary. We could talk all day about turkish clip vs. regular clip, sheepsfoot vs. wharncliffe vs. coping, nail nicks both on the mark side vs. opposing sides, etc., but my main point is the clip and shorter straight edge blade combo.

Just to be clear, I already have a Conductor with the coping blade secondary, but in this thread I'm thinking more along the lines of a 3 1/2" jack knife.

Duncan, to me there's not THAT much difference between a sheepsfoot and a wharncliffe, but a world of difference between them and a spey blade. YMMV.

Keith, I'm with you on the blade combo and even the jack knife. I just want a single spring 2 blade 57!

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    Keith, I'm with you on the blade combo and even the jack knife. I just want a single spring 2 blade 57!
    Yes, that would be a great lure for me too. A 2 blade single spring 56 (the other way round as it were) could also be a nice knife.

Good ideas Kevin & Will. And for a two spring knife I'll take a #56 Dogleg Jack or #66 Serpentine Jack with the pen blade replaced by a sheepsfoot please.

Willgoy, that sounds good to me too

Keith, I think the serpintene jack is my favorite knife period. I have yet to get one because I have my grandfathers old Case 62087. I don't think any medium jack will compare in my mind. With that said, I would jump all over a 66 with your idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information