Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My very small rotation

My very small rotation

ADVERTISEMENT
    I usually carry two knives. My Ken Coats Sheepsfoot Jack is always in my watch pocket regardless of what other knife I am carrying. Most of you have already seen plenty of pics of it so I will not include any pics of it here. I like to carry a secondary knife just below it in my right front pocket.

I have found that I get overwhelmed if I have too many knives in my rotation and I tend to only rotate every few months or so. Usually two or three knives in rotation is plenty for me. Right now there are only two and for some reason I felt compelled to make a post about them. So here are some pics and some brief comments on the two knives in my current rotation.

First up is this Bertram Hen & Rooster CM-6 that was made around 1976 when A.G. Russell owned H&R. I find this knife to be an outstanding EDC in its size range. At 2 7/8 inches closed it's the same size as a Peanut. I have several Peanuts and although I do like them, I always feel like they are going to slip out of my fingers. I have never dropped one but I always feel like I'm going to. I don't have that problem with this CM-6 and I can only assume that it's because of the handle shape and the rough texture of the Stag.

The other things that I like about this knife are the blade shape, the stainless steel, and the fact that it's a little different than the average, everyday pocket knife.

The other knife in my current rotation is this Case 22087 Jack knife that I recently won in a giveaway hosted by Keith (coyote711). Over the course of several years I have stumbled across this model a good number of times both online and in stores and every single time it has caught my attention. There is something about the handle shape, the blades, and the slick black scales that I find very attractive.

I never did buy one for myself and when I saw Keith's giveaway I resisted entering at first because I figured if I won't buy one for myself then I shouldn't expect someone to just give me one. I have wanted a 22087 for many years and the urge to enter Keith's giveaway finally got the best of me. I knew Keith would be happy to have me as a contestant so I gave in. As luck would have it, my post was the chosen random number.

I have been carrying this 22087 since last Tuesday and it has been a superb little companion. The blades both have excellent snap and I like the as ground finish a lot. These 087 jack knife patterns are kind of like an oversized Peanut. Same basic handle shape and blades, just a little bigger.

I enjoy carrying and using this knife a lot. Not only do I finally have one after all these years but it was also a gift from a friend. Lots of pride of ownership with this little guy.

Rick T.

Rick,

Great looking rotation IMO. I like that AG especially since I am a nut for stag. The Case that Keith gifted you is an all around great EDC IMO. The Case, to me, is the kind of knife that can go anywhere. It has a classy look with the black handles, the serpintene frame that I consider an absolute hall of fame classic, and a small and large blade. I would be proud to EDC both of those, but I can really understand your appreciation of the gift from Keith. Somewhat of a sentimental, it happens for a reason guy, I would feel similar

As for myself, and for conversations sake, I stick to one at a time. I feel like I can focus on keeping up one knife better then a small rotation. So I keep all my knives, even my users, clean and protected in storage. I keep one as my current EDC that I focus my attention on. I could spend time working little kinks out, sharpening until the blades are just how I like them and so on.

Right now my current is a 57 clip point stag whittler. Im adjusting to a smaller blade then my 85 single blade spear easy open, but its nice to make a change.

Nice thread,

Kevin

Hi Rick!

I can agree with Kevin. Nice rotation you have there. I (try !!) to change my rotation every second day. But there are some knives, which I need to have in my pocket from time to time... A GEC Moose and a GEC #73 are already on the way

Kind regards
    Andi

Hi Rick! First off, I'm honored that the little 22087 has found its way into your small rotation. As mentioned in a previous email, I think I get more pleasure knowing it has found a good home than I did from actually carrying it myself. Carry and use it in good health my friend.

Your Ken Coats Sheepsfoot Jack is absolutely one of the coolest knives I've ever seen, and I can certainly see why it has a permanent place in your watch pocket! Maybe I've been asleep but I don't recall seeing the Bertram H & R before. That's very nice stag and the knife looks like it would box above its weight.

Besides a SAK or two, about the only constant is the Conductor or White Owl in my watch pocket. The third or fourth knife gets changed usually every day. I have absolutely no need to carry three or four knives, but hardly know they're in my pockets so why not?

I agree with Kevin - nice thread Rick - and I'm glad I could contribute in a small way.

Rick,
    I do like your EDC rotation as well. The H&R is pretty nice, and somehow it reminds me of my GEC #25. And I do like the Case jack that you won in Keith's giveaway. Doesn't surprise me at all to know that you carry it often. I already expressed my appreciation for your Ken Coats sheepsfoot jack
    To go on with the conversation on knife rotation, I have a small rotation too, made of all the knives I currently own (apart from kitchen knives, one fixed blade and a few "resident" knives - work knife, gardening knife, handbag knife). The elk #25, an Opinel #6, and a small Falcon lockback (all three knives got a thread of their own here). I only carry one knife at a time. It may sound weird to some, but owning and carrying a small number of knives makes me feel like they're more "mine". And since I'm no collector, I chose to keep it that way, although I'm sometimes tempted to go to the dark side

Fausto

Thanks for all the comments and kind words, guys. I remember a day when I only owned one knife and never even considered buying another one. I think I have about 70 knives in my collection. Most of them are traditional knives. As I get older I find myself leaning more and more toward keeping things simple. I have a lot of knives that I will never part with but the simplicity concept means that I also have a few that will never get carried.

Someone once stated on this forum something like "Most people spend maybe 15 minutes of their entire life focusing on knives. We think about them all the time". That statement has stuck in my head ever since it was posted because there is so much truth in that.

Regardless of how many knives we own and/or carry, we all share this common interest and it's the best hobby I've ever had the pleasure of indulging in.
    Rick T.

Rick,
    I remember reading that statement here on BF too. I love knives, and I don't care how many I own, it's my hobby, and it gives me great pleasure. And that statement brings me back to the reality, made essentially by two facts. First, most people don't care about knives, therefore we have to remember that, as for any hobby, only a few people will "understand" us, and the others just won't. Second, is that, as long as it makes us feel good, and we're not hurting anyone, I don't care if there are just a bunch of knife enthusiasts in the whole world.
    I don't know if there are "better" hobbies. I just guess that any hobby is more or less the same in terms of pleasure, the difference is in the attitude of the person who indulges in one. And, in a way, I assume there's some kind of casualty in our choice of hobby. But then, there's the will to keep it going.
    As a sidenote...am I the only one who picks his knife according to what I'm wearing or where I'm going?

Fausto

You make some interesting comments, Fausto and I agree with everything you said.

As for your question, I don't think you are the only one. For example, many people would choose a different knife for camping, fishing, hunting, or even going to church than the one they carry in their pocket everyday. Personally, my day to day activities are rather routine and predictable. I don't think I have ever chosen a knife according to what I'm wearing and rarely do I choose a knife according to where I'm going. I am probably in the minority though.
    Rick T.

Quote Originally Posted by quattromori View Post
    As a sidenote...am I the only one who picks his knife according to what I'm wearing or where I'm going?
    No Fausto you are not alone.

My Wadsworth sleeveboard often gets carried when I am wearing a suit because at only 0.3125" thick, it practically disappears, even in the pocket of pants that fit tighter than jeans or khakis.

And when I am wearing cargo shorts with several pockets I can afford to carry something more substantial, even my Northfield Ben Hogan, which is 0.5625" thick and 4.5" long closed.

Thanks for the pictures, and your musings regarding your EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
    The other knife in my current rotation is this Case 22087 Jack knife that I recently won in a giveaway hosted by Keith (coyote711). Over the course of several years I have stumbled across this model a good number of times both online and in stores and every single time it has caught my attention. There is something about the handle shape, the blades, and the slick black scales that I find very attractive.
    I've quoted the above because I share your sentiments, although mine are "younger"-- I first saw a black medium jack a just few months ago, as compared to your years. That particular knife catches my eye in a similar way, which honestly surprises me. For whatever reason, the design simply works.

Congratulations again. :-)

~ P.

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, and your musings regarding your EDC.

I've quoted the above because I share your sentiments, although mine are "younger"-- I first saw a black medium jack a just few months ago, as compared to your years. That particular knife catches my eye in a similar way, which honestly surprises me. For whatever reason, the design simply works.

Congratulations again. :-)

~ P.
    Thanks P!
    Rick T.

Rick, that medium jack is very handsome. Thanks for highlighting it in this post. I would like to own one some day, but I'd like to wait for one in CV.

Excellent post Rick!

I entered Keith's giveaway because I have had my eye on the 32087 yeller cv pen. Now I am wondering if I might not get the 22087 jack before I get the pen. I obviously like the style, because my peanut is an almost daily carry.

3.625" is about as large as I carry, and that one (Wadsworth sleeveboard pen) is very slender. The peanut is not uncomfortably small for me in use, nor is the mini copperhead. I am finding that my rotation is moving toward smaller knives. I have parted ways with a Northfield 72 and 73, and a Queen Mountain Man, because they were too large for me.

Thanks for starting this discussion, very interesting to consider for myself, and hear what others are thinking.

You are both very welcome. I'm glad to see that my topic has generated some interest.

I have an attraction to smaller knives too. I carry a small to medium sized knife as my secondary mostly because I like them but also because they come in handy in certain situations at the workplace. We don't have any knife restrictions that are actually enforced but we do have a few select supervisors and managers that would jump at the chance to impose an all out ban of knives in the workplace. It would totally make their day and I'm not gonna be the one to give them the satisfaction. I use only my small knives when those guys are in the near vicinity.
    Rick T.

Great looking rotation Rick!

Love the H&R, beautiful little knife that one. And the jack does look like a peanut that got fed real well when it was young.

Carl.

Rick,
    no surprise your thread has generated interest around here
    As I was reading your last post, I was thinking about something we all know. The concept of small, medium and big knives is usually different between traditionalists and "modernalists" (weird name but I know you understand me).
    Just like Doug, and you, and others here, knives above 3,5" closed are a bit too big for my pockets...but, for a "modernalist", that's small.
    As for rotation, traditional knives (especially American traditionals, with their multiple patterns) do call for some rotation because of variety. The fact that you keep the rotation down to a few knives at a time, is more for practical reasons, but I assume that, if I had 100 knives, I'd love to carry them all...

Fausto

My first knife aside from an SAK was that very Case jack knife so I guess you could say that that particular pattern has always been special to me also it seems that no matter how many patterns I try and EDC the jackknife is always the one i wind up returning to.

Blog Entries
    Hi Rick -

I love the first knife - it is very unique and it's of a good size too (thanks for the in-hand shot).

The Case Jack you have is just like the one my Grandfather used to carry.

Interestingly, I was at the local hardware store in my small town yesterday and I was looking at the old Case display box, and I was looking at the Jack they have in the display.

I think I will stop by and pick that one up, it is priced right and it would be a good pickup.

Thanks for the pictures. I hope we can get together again someday and talk knives and shoot the breeze.

best regards -

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

Rick, those are both great knives. I can see why you would have those two as a rotation.

My rotation is half the size. This is the only knife that see's any time in my pocket ever.

Well hey hoss, don't feel too bad
    My rotation is this

And I carry it everyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information