Thread: ZT 550 Pivot screw, need help

ZT 550 Pivot screw, need help

ADVERTISEMENT
    I got a nice new scale for my zt 550 today direct from Rick Hinderer. I love my 550 but I am having problems getting the pivot screw to loosen up. I know it is a Torx 8, any ideas? Yes I have enough arm strength, the real problem is that it will strip if I keep it up.

Blog Entries
    Heat the pivot with a hair dryer or soldering iron and then try it.

You need to heat it up to loosen the thread lock compound. A soldering iron to the clipside of the screw I've heard works. You don't want to use any flame or a lot of heat on the titanium or you will heat color it. It shouldn't take a lot of heat and you could probably get it warm enough with a hair dryer and keep the heat down enough that you don't have to worry at all about coloring the titanium. With all of the people that have done this I imagine someone will chime in with actual experience doing this on the 0550.

Your drivers might be off spec, which can strip the screws. Get a good set of Torx drivers that will last longer and work better; they aren't much more expensive than the crappy ones at the hardware store and they're well worth it in the long run. Wiha's have worked very well for me.

Genius! Thanks devil! Got the pivot screw out, but I 'm afraid to put it back in, it is a little beat up. May have to wait to put a new one in.

Hair dryer worked like a charm, few minutes on the torx screw and some downward pressure got it done. Called ZT/Kershaw and they are sending a new pivot screw to me. There was a lot of white crap on the screw when I did get it out.

I just changed my scales today.Didn't have any trouble breaking the screw loose but then I have a set of Wiha bits.Makes a big difference if the bits fit right.Waiting on the blue lock tight to set up now.
    i8aporkchopu812 inducted Blade Show 2008
    Jeff Smith
    Skull lanyards for sale
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...knife-lanyards

Monkey fists for sale
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...6#post13041766

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike1357 View Post
    Genius! Thanks devil! Got the pivot screw out, but I 'm afraid to put it back in, it is a little beat up. May have to wait to put a new one in.
    glad to hear it. That is the trick actually (downward pressure and slowly turning). As noted above, make sure you have a quality torx set. It's well worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by u812 View Post
    I just changed my scales today.Didn't have any trouble breaking the screw loose but then I have a set of Wiha bits.Makes a big difference if the bits fit right.Waiting on the blue lock tight to set up now.
    Had the same problem on mine. Tried using Snap-on and Cornwell bits, neither worked. Ended up slotting it with a dremel and using a screwdriver. I then retapped the hole to use a t10 handle screw.

Thread Information