Thread: Ordering knives from USA to Canada, need info!

Blog Entries

Question Ordering knives from USA to Canada, need info!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey everyone, i live in Canada and up here we dont have quite the selection or pricing that you get in the USA, i was wondering if anyone can give me some basic info as to what costs extra i would have to pay when ordering from the USA to Canada, for example if i get a $100 knife off ebay what would it cost by the time it gets to my door, i know there is duty etc but i dont have any idea of the rates and i havent really seem much info on it, i havent ordered anything from the USA before either so i'm in the dark, and lastly if i buy something privately from someone here on the forums do i also pay duty and taxes etc if it is from a USA seller?, thanks for your help guys!

You want to be really careful with the knife you get, because most customs agents are super picky. Almost anything can be confiscated. Make sure the knife isn't something that will swing open at the flick of your wrist, or is too large.

If you'd like, I can PM you the link to a Canadian site/dealer that has deals that are usually just as good as american site prices, if not better. Shipping will cost less and you have almost 0% chance of getting your knife confiscated at customs.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the info, and yes please pm me with the info that would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you find what you're looking for in their selection

There is no duty on knives coming in to Canada. If they get stopped by customs you have to pay GST plus their handling fee. Customs guys do seem to like knives that can be opened with one hand but traditionals and fixed blades are usually good to go. Not every package gets stopped either.

You dont have to worry about blade size, only the type of knife. Read up on the laws but basically any auto opener that has a button attached to the handle, any butterfly or balisong, any bras knuckles or knife with rings in the handle for any of your fingers to fit through are illegal. Everything else is good to go. The worst part for you will be waiting for horrible, terrible, unreliable and untrackable usps deliveries. I have literally lost hair waiting weeks for knives that never get scanned along the way, theres basically only 4 sites I order from two Canadian and two from the US. Ill msg you with them.

Why not give your money to Warriors and Wonders, Dave’s Tactical Surplus or one of the other great Canadian dealers? I believe there is also a Canadian forum dealer too. I’m in Vancouver and have no problems getting what I’m looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zidfeldts View Post
    There is no duty on knives coming in to Canada. If they get stopped by customs you have to pay GST plus their handling fee. Customs guys do seem to like knives that can be opened with one hand but traditionals and fixed blades are usually good to go. Not every package gets stopped either.
    This^^

Also feel free to start a thread in the Canadian sub-forum here on Baldeforums. we would be more than happy to offer suggestions to Canadian knife stores. (there are a few really really good ones.)

I've ordered many knives from the US including assisted knives. None have been seized or have ever had duty fees attached. Shipping was never more then about $15. I probably can't give specifics(else I might get into trouble) but if you know where to look on e b a y you can find a huge selection of awesome knives right here in Canada including knives from such companies as SOG, Benchmade, Spyderco, Boker, Buck, Case, Cold Steel, CRKT, Gerber, Ka-Bar, Kershaw and I could go on. US customers also do not charge GST. I hope this helps. If you're looking for any SOG, CRKT or Benchmade knives shipped from within Canada, please PM me.(I can delete that last part if it is not allowed, if it is sorry in advance, I don't really want to get banned but I have overstock that needs to go.)

Generally speaking, you won't actually have to pay any extra monies when ordering knives from outside Canada.

I used to buy knives exclusively from within Canada because I was afraid of them getting confiscated/held/taxed or whatever at the border, but now that I've ordered from the US a few times I have found that that has not been my experience. As Zidfeldts said, not every package gets stopped - maybe 10% of the knives I've bought have been stopped at the border. When I bought my Hogue Ex-01, I had to pay something like 15$ worth of fees, and when I bought a Manix 2 XL and Kershaw OD-1 I had to pay a combined fee of about 20$.

As for giving your money to Canadian dealers, that's all well and good I guess, but be prepared to pay way the hell too much for your knives. My Hogue cost me just under 120$ (plus 15$ customs fees) from a dealer in the states, while the same knife would have cost me 190$ (plus Tax) from Warriors and Wonders. Supporting a local dealer is nice and everything, but Canadian prices are absolutely ridiculous (generally speaking, of course).

That’s not always the case though. I wanted a Chris Reeve Professional Soldier and my local dealer in the Vancouver area had them for about $15 more than they cost in the US, but he gave me 20% off for shopping there and I walked out with it for $195 after tax. That’s without having to deal with any shipping or anything since it’s a local shop. If you support your local dealers sometimes you can get a little surprise in return. Yes, the knives can cost more up here but if you show that you’re willing to support them rather than go somewhere else you may get a deal. I’ll definitely spend my cash in that shop again.

Thread Information