Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 93

Thread: Once the "tactical" and "hard use" fad fades, what will be the next "big thing" be?

  1. #21

    ADVERTISEMENT
    The next trend will be using rocks and sharp sticks. An arms race will start to see who can make the flimsiest, crudest tool. Prices for 3V will drop lower than prices for obsidian.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalizedLiving View Post
    The next trend will be using rocks and sharp sticks. An arms race will start to see who can make the flimsiest, crudest tool. Prices for 3V will drop lower than prices for obsidian.
    awsome then ill be the biggest loser in the knife forums with the sharpest nonstick and rock tool

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Finally back home in NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,434
    I don't think tactical or hard use style fixed blades have a chance of going anywhere since they are for better or worse a centuries old thing (not talking super thick 4 or 5 inch blades with synthetic handles). Also really doubt tactical or hard use style folders will fade because folders greatly out sell fixed blades and there will always be people who want a folder that can come close to doing what a fixed blade will do (real or imagined). Really some people like/need weapons and some like/need tough, heavy duty and all a manufacturer cares is how much it will sell.

    Just like AR-15 sales being an all time high the past few years when those people could just be plinking and sport shooting with a .22 or air-gun, people will use tactical and heavy duty knives even if their day to day only requires a Case Peanut or Vic Classic.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    14,905
    Quote Originally Posted by retzius View Post
    Im curious to think what you guys think the next "big thing" in knives will be.

    I been around a little while, I remember in the 70s and 80s when it wasnt all tactical, hard use, overbuilt, super lock folding knives and fix blades for "operators" that can cut through car doors.

    I think that as our military involvement winds down the military influence may fade a bit and give some room for other ideas, designs, and paradigms to breathe.

    What do you think the next "thing" will be?

    As much as I like the current knives, Im starting to tire a bit of S30v, G10, and thick heavy blades that seem to built more for demolition than for cutting.

    I still think there is alot of room for "multi-tools" to grow...

    The buzz words might change, but they will still be around.

    Won't comment on Multi-Tools as they are more of a gadget or toy for people to play with.

    The closest thing I would even own to one of those is an SAK.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    316
    The near future holds... more plastic on knives.

    The distant future holds... laser-edged knives.

    I don't think "hard-use" knives are a fad. I think they've been moving towards that ever since the first folding knives were made! They've just been trying hard to get closer to the strength and/or safety of a fixed blade in a smaller package. I don't know the complete history of folding knives, but I think the general path is:

    friction folders ---> slipjoints ---> liner locks ---> backlocks ---> modern knives (OHO, framelocks, compression, axis, jimping, choils, etc)

    I think the Buck 110 was considered for hard use and seemed overbuilt to many people, and still is, but it came out, what, about 60 years ago? I don't see a decrease in the number of humongous trucks and SUVs, either. I guess I do see an increase in cars with better gas mileage, but unless there are global knife steel shortage scares, I think we'll only be seeing even MORE tactical, overbuilt, hard use knives. Knives with fingerprint scanners, voice activation, self-sharpening systems, and automated report-writers.

    Although I would love to see more affordable traditional knives on the market, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

  6. #26
    I think interest will revert back to small to medium, plain-edge EDC knives. After carrying and using huge, heavy "tactical" folders for so long, maybe folks will begin to appreciate that a smaller knife can accomplish the great majority of tasks. I'm not against big knives in any way, but I think lots of folks (not necessarily on this forum) automatically go the large route because they assume it will be a better knife.

    Hopefully, some more interesting scale materials will become more prevalent, too; not that there's anything wrong with FRN and G10. Maybe if there's a lot of competition in that regard, we'll start seeing some really, REALLY nice and reasonably priced EDCs in the near future.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by retzius View Post
    Im curious to think what you guys think the next "big thing" in knives will be.

    I been around a little while, I remember in the 70s and 80s when it wasnt all tactical, hard use, overbuilt, super lock folding knives and fix blades for "operators" that can cut through car doors.

    I think that as our military involvement winds down the military influence may fade a bit and give some room for other ideas, designs, and paradigms to breathe.

    What do you think the next "thing" will be?

    As much as I like the current knives, Im starting to tire a bit of S30v, G10, and thick heavy blades that seem to built more for demolition than for cutting.

    I still think there is alot of room for "multi-tools" to grow...
    Dude...where you been? "tactical"? "hard use"? Those lost their appeal a long time ago. Since then, "bushcraft" has come...it's kinda fading. Enter "survival"...its still warm. But as far as right now, I think uyotg nailed it. "Zombies." Paint a knife green, put "zombie" in the name....ka-ching.

    What's next? I know what it is. Think I'm telling you guys, you are crazy. Let's call it "X." I'm stockpiling cheapo junk knives, and making the small alterations needed on them (a little spray paint there and there, etc) to turn them into "dedicated X" knives (for "pro X-ers only!") and am gonna make a boatload of money. And I got some random goofball who is going to be on basic cable TV doing "X" with a knife.

    It's a gold mine.
    Last edited by marcinek; 04-25-2012 at 05:00 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SoCal/DFW
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by GLDNDomer View Post
    The near future holds... more plastic on knives.

    The distant future holds... laser-edged knives.

    I don't think "hard-use" knives are a fad. I think they've been moving towards that ever since the first folding knives were made! They've just been trying hard to get closer to the strength and/or safety of a fixed blade in a smaller package. I don't know the complete history of folding knives, but I think the general path is:

    friction folders ---> slipjoints ---> liner locks ---> backlocks ---> modern knives (OHO, framelocks, compression, axis, jimping, choils, etc)

    I think the Buck 110 was considered for hard use and seemed overbuilt to many people, and still is, but it came out, what, about 60 years ago? I don't see a decrease in the number of humongous trucks and SUVs, either. I guess I do see an increase in cars with better gas mileage, but unless there are global knife steel shortage scares, I think we'll only be seeing even MORE tactical, overbuilt, hard use knives. Knives with fingerprint scanners, voice activation, self-sharpening systems, and automated report-writers.

    Although I would love to see more affordable traditional knives on the market, I just don't think it's gonna happen.
    backlocks were by Hoyt Buck way before Al Mar did the mid lockback and Mr. Walker's linerlock

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,011
    The original hard-use knives, slip joints, will be rediscovered.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,160
    Traditional, PC gentlemanly slippies are already making a huge comeback, and I predict that as the world gets more PC the little underrated knives like the Peanut pattern will grow in popularity.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Germantown, Maryland.
    Posts
    10,004
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    Traditional, PC gentlemanly slippies are already making a huge comeback, and I predict that as the world gets more PC the little underrated knives like the Peanut pattern will grow in popularity.
    YES!

    A subject dear to my heart.
    Carl.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Concord, California, U.S.A., Earth
    Posts
    5,686
    Carl! I don't think I've ever seen you outside the Traditional forum.

    Next big "thing" in the knife industry? It'll be in two areas, I think. I've been giving this whole topic a lot of thought lately.

    I'm hoping one area will be in good quality, less expensive multi-tools. It's already happening to some extent: Leatherman Wingman, Copilot, etc. are good examples.

    I also think the Traditional patterns (slipjoints) will make a comeback, but with more modern materials. Case has a few models with G10, yellow & black Delrin, and other synthetics in their lineup, some of which have been sold for years. (They recently re-introduced their Two-blade Folding Hunter in yellow Delrin.)

    GEC has been producing some really nice pieces in acrylic scale materials too.

    ~Chris
    Last edited by orca8589; 04-25-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    To my friends here on bladeforums: I'm taking a hiatus from forums participation for the foreseeable future. I can still be contacted through my profile.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...om-bladeforums

  13. #33
    two things: survival SHTF-types and EDC. the big thing with EDC carry is a long slugging match in washington setting up rules and standards for allowing EDC blades for 50-state legality. an actual SHTF sitaution would be a really big thing.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Land of the wrong white crowd
    Posts
    2,323
    Traditionals...and i think the knife world would be all the better for it too....get back to basics.......................FES

  15. #35
    Survival is already the next big genre. I see "neo-tribal" as a possible next wave, at least as a sub-category. Machetes seem to be finally catching on outside of the niche market in North America, too.


    Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

    "To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by brets-ftw View Post
    backlocks were by Hoyt Buck way before Al Mar did the mid lockback and Mr. Walker's linerlock
    Thanks, brets-ftw. I wasn't sure about the modern liner lock, but I was thinking in my head about the really old brass liner locks found on Imperial, Camillus, and Schrade slipjoints, or even the more recent TL-29s. It seems those are dated to around 1906, but I'm not sure when the first lockback was invented. Was it the Buck 110??

    To the OP, upon reconsidering my answer, I think that it is just to difficult for a knife knut to answer. I like all kinds of knives (except recurves and serrations), so no matter where the knife industry goes in the next few years, I'll be there to find out!

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    168
    I have noticed the bearing system flippers are starting to phase out the spring assisted knives. CRKT just put out a few that are really smooth, I just can't make myself spend money on a CRKT.

  18. #38
    tactical and hard use will turn to NASA approved and Mars-use

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    1,895
    iKnife.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFarms View Post
    idk i think the goverment is moving towards no1 being able to carry anything so i think the future holds a bunch of pissed off knife owners
    This...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •