Thread: Rat & Dog stripped, convexed, wearin' new makeup...and a fallen tree!!

Rat & Dog stripped, convexed, wearin' new makeup...and a fallen tree!!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I live a few miles from a knife maker here on the forums (Bill Akers/Backwoods Custom Knives), so I went over to his shop today and brought a few of my recently stripped Busse-Kin blades (Battle Rat and 711). He hit the blades with a belt, put an "antique finish" on them, and convexed them. But, we just couldn't sit there and admire them........we had to take them out and give them an unrelenting beating of apocalyptic proportions

I decided to solely use the "Battle Rat", so Bill and I switched back and forth smashing away at a decent size tree (he also brought along a blade with no scales just to play with it in the woods). We continued back and forth for a while, until the tree finally toppled over and crashed to the ground. Upon inspecting the Battle Rat, there was NOT one single ding, roll, or chip on the edge. The icing on the cake was taking the BR and slicing right through thin paper after downing the tree. I have to admit, this may not qualify as apocalyptic punishment, but it sure was one of the most fun days I've had in a very long time. Nothin' like Busse family blades to put a huge smile on your face...

Before:

After:

Bill Akers (Backwoods Custom Knives) thrashing away with the Battle Rat:

The Battle Rat slicing thin paper after downing the tree:
    "Under divine blessing, we must rely on the bayonet when firearms cannot be furnished". Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson (April 1861)

ESEE R.A.T. PACK #834
    Proud supporter of Alan Davis , James Helm (Storm Crow) ,and KIFARU.

Your mate put a great finish and edge on those blades Nothing like the satisfaction of knowing that your knife has a great edge

Nice!
    I love the finish on the blades...
    Any info to share on how he does it?

How did you apply the "antique finish"? looks cool...

Marc looks like you and Bill had one hell of a good time!!!!

Impressive! Thanks for sharing.
    **Just having some fun - Pics of my work**

Instagram: JONASIGLESIAS

#125 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

I have one of Bills knives with that same antique finish, I believe its a forced patina, but I dont know how he does it.

Very cool pics! and you are very lucky to live down the street from a talented bladesmith like Bill Akers

Quote Originally Posted by bigcountry1315 View Post
    Marc looks like you and Bill had one hell of a good time!!!!
    Mike, I had a blast! Funny how thumpin' on a big tree with a big ass blade allows you to forget about the stressors of the day....
    Last edited by Riverwarrior; 04-25-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    "Under divine blessing, we must rely on the bayonet when firearms cannot be furnished". Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson (April 1861)

ESEE R.A.T. PACK #834

Quote Originally Posted by drbarnes View Post
    I have one of Bills knives with that same antique finish, I believe its a forced patina, but I dont know how he does it.

Very cool pics! and you are very lucky to live down the street from a talented bladesmith like Bill Akers
    Bill is one of the most giving individuals I've ever met. He would give you the shirt off his back. He gave up most of his day just to work on my Busse-Kin blades and he wanted nothing in return (little does he know it, but I'm gonna give him one of my Busse Magnum Bear Cubs when they arrive.....).

ESEE R.A.T. PACK #834

Looks like a fun time.

I am a fellow KY resident and as soon as time (and opportunity) permit I hope to exercise a few knives myself.

I agree, that finish on those stripped Bussekin looks very good. I would not mind a single bit if one of my satin Rats was dressed in that attire.

Looks like Archers Etchant to me maybe?

That look's like a Hickory tree! How long to make the cut? Good for the BBQ pit if it's Hickory! Thank's for the pic's!

Quote Originally Posted by Super X View Post
    That look's like a Hickory tree! How long to make the cut? Good for the BBQ pit if it's Hickory! Thank's for the pic's!
    Yes, it was Hickory. We traded off chopping about every 5 minutes and the tree finally dropped after about 25 minutes. I'm no spring chicken and I don't have the best chopping technique, but the Battle Rat's combination of weight, thickness, and Res-C handle made it an absolute blast to use. And, I didn't get any blisters while chopping..

ESEE R.A.T. PACK #834

They look defective

Better send them to me for proper disposal(over 40 years)

Man--Those are SWEET!!!!!!!!!!
    Siegle Knife Expert----
    If you have one you want to buy,sell or trade--contact me

Thread Information