Thread: Just trying to calm down

Just trying to calm down

ADVERTISEMENT
    About an hour and a half ago, on the way home from a meeting, I was stuck in traffic where they are re-paving the interstate. It was down to the two right hand lanes from five, and crawling along at 5MPH. There were about 30 flashing lights on the trucks and equipment, two state troopers with the blue lights on, and orange cones every twenty feet....plus stadium size light towers. Suddenly the car in front of me swerved out of the lane, went through the cones, went around a big equipment and lighting truck on the left......and ran right over the man operating the concrete saw. The car hit the Jersey wall , but never hit the brakes. I guess he was tired of waiting in slow traffic. The unattended saw spun around and headed toward me, but hit the car in the next lane instead. I grabbed the phone , and while talking to 911 gave them the details and started to assess the victim. Another man got out of a car and came to help me. He was a Gastroenterologist. We took care of the man while waiting for the ambulance. They had to close the Interstate and bring it up from the opposite direction.The man appeared to have mostly head injuries. I maintained C-stabilization until we handed it off to the paramedics. The State Trooper told the paramedics that we were a doctor and a paramedic ( which I am not). When the paramedics asked for the condition and details, the Doctor nodded at me and said, "He's got this one." Once I gave them his condition and vitals, we put on a C-collar and then I had to deal with the police. All this time the man who was driving where he had no place being was saying, " He stepped right out in front of me."....after two miles of flashing lights, probably thirty or more pieces of construction equipment, and fifty workers in orange striped reflector suits, I can't buy that he had no idea there was any construction going on.

I feel a little better just typing this. I needed to calm down. When I came home, I had to wash off the blood from my arms before I came inside, or I would have scared my wife to death.

Please pray for this man. I think he will live, but he is in for a rough night.....all because someone didn't want to wait in slow traffic.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

If he lives, he has you to thank. Good thing you were there and knew what to do.

I will pray for the worker, the fool who hit him, and for you as well.

Jiminy crickets, that's a heckuva thing to deal with.
    Terrio HandMade Knives subforum

Beckerhead # 350

Member, AKTI and KnifeRights

Good job Stacy.

Thanks.
    Nothing in the news this morning. I might have my daughter ( nurse) check the hospital and find out his condition.
    Stacy E.Apelt

Blog Entries
    Good on you for helping the guy out Stacy. Hopefully he comes out of this OK.
    Also hopefully the SOB that ran him over will learn form his mistakes/poor judgment.

Beating some orange steel into shape is how I like to calm down.

Wow. You're a good man Stacy. I'm glad for the man that you were there.

Sorry for you having to go through that though.
    90% of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb at.

Prayers sent.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the prayers and concern. I am going to check on the victim's condition today, and will let you know how he is doing. The driver was arrested for DUI.

I got some good sleep, and have a nice weekend ahead, so I am OK,too.
    Stacy E.Apelt

my thoughts are with you all, thank goodness, you likely helped save a mans life by acting quickly and bravely.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

JK Iris Knife Passaround

If you were on 95, I feel for you man. I've been stuck on that damn stretch of highway from Richmond to DC so many times I shudder just thinking about it. One trip back from Raleigh, NC.
    to PA. took me 16 hours because of the snowfall. Of course Raleigh was just unusually cods and windy with no snow.

It was on westbound I-64 near Northampton Blvd.

Update:
    I spoke to Riguel's ( the injured man) mother a little while ago, and he is in fair condition. Since he is in ICU, that is about as good as can be expected. He is conscious now and has along way to go, but should recover. He is speaking, and doesn't remember anything of the accident (Probably due to the propofol).
    Stacy E.Apelt

Well done, Stacy. You're a hero.

Excellent job Stacy... way to step up at such a stressful time.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

wow

just...

wow

Stacy, Hats off to you and the Dr for doing all that you did. What you did will hopefully make his recovery that much better. As far as drivers!!! This kind of story makes me sick. I travel around 250 miles a day to from and during work. What you see on the roads these days is just scary. These people with ZERO reguard for others because they are in a hurry and have no patience. First and fore most I hope the victim makes a full recovery. Secondly I hope the driver gets what he deserves and then some.

-Jim
    Last edited by jll346; 05-06-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Thread Information