Thread: tops ox-06

tops ox-06

ADVERTISEMENT
    i was looking at this axe for going on overnight backpacking trips. i would be using it for camp chores like making fire wood light to medium chopping etc. is it any good? thanks

IMO, no. It weights 30oz, and too much of that weight is in the handle. For a backpacking hawk, you are so much better off with a traditional, wooden haft, type of a hawk. Full tang hawks are cool, and very strong, great for battle, fighting, prying , breaching, etc..
    For that kind of money, you can get a forged hawk, poll, spike, whatever you want, the mass will be in the head, where it helps with chopping. Plus, you can remove the head and use as a knife. You can make new a new handle in the field, if you break a wood handle, and carry the head in a pack, if need be.

I made the mistake of getting an Ontario RD hawk, thinking it would be great for backpacking, it's not. Again, the 1/4" thick full tang is just too heavy, you work too hard to carry in, then have to swing all that mass, weight in the hand, which doesn't help with the bit chopping into the wood. I love "tactical" hawks, but I'd rather have a very light handle(hickory) for backpacking.
    OTOH, Dan Winkler does a tapered tang on his full tang hawks, which does put the weight in the head. And, Omnivore makes several full tang hawks, they are skeletonized to lighten up the handle weights. So, there are some options if you have to have a full tang, but you'll want more weight in the head for chopping wood with efficiency.

thanks

My JK Urban hawk has a skeletonized handle and the balance is perfect.

I agree with foxx. I have a bark river glen eagle axe that is cool as hell but for the weight and length I prefer a hawk that is longer and lighter. Have not handled the TOPS version but I imagine it would be much the same.

Thread Information