Thread: Solvang show

Solvang show

ADVERTISEMENT
    Pics? How did it go? The Ron Newton NYS shown here by Betzner looks amazing. I AM particularly curious about something. Makers building classic designs, how was the demand for their knives? World class knives, but examples of which can be found in collections and through the secondary market at prices well below some of the show prices we're seeing. I'm guessing that a knife like Newton's NYS, offering something that can't be duplicated elsewhere, or maybe knives from the likes of Larry Fuegen, where each piece is a unique treasure, were in higher demand. Thoughts?

Pete
    Last edited by AV8R; 04-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.

I'd start by saying that my favorite maker had a great day, so much so that I couldn't win on any of my drops into his boxes. And that would be Curt Erickson/Engraving by Julie Warenski-Erickson. And one of his was also a New York Special. I saw the box and it was absolutely loaded with drops. You mention Larry Fuegen. I dropped for the push dagger and, of course, no luck. And, of course, he was a sell-out. As was Ron Newton. As was Ken Steigerwalt. And on, and on, and on. The best makers were, naturally, the most in demand.

My fav makers at the show were (not any any particular order) Curt Erickson, Ron Newton, Emmanuel Esposito (who was accompanied by the lovely AND talented Elizabeth Loerchner), Larry Fuegen, Scott Slobodian, Ken Steigerwalt, Dennis Friedly, Charly Bennica - and on and on.

I might as well add that I saw lots of friends, buddies and acquaintences again, including Mike Talanian, Don Guild, Walter Hoffman, Dave Ellis, Paul Shindler, Dave Nittinger, Dan Favano (I need that drink recipe, Dan), Michael Donato, Dave Harvey (of course!), Mark Strauss, Tom & Gwen Guinn, Ed Wormser and last but not least, Martin Rheingold, Thor Heine and Allan Kidd. I have no idea who I left out, but this is off the top of my head.

Nice, comfortably sized crowd. I can remember the crush to get through the doors, when it wasn't an invitational, and it's great now that the mob doesn't show up like it did in years past. Lotsa sell-outs by the makers you would expect to be sold out. Others, well, you can usually do a run-down of the show attendees and know in advance which makers would leave with knives.

Best,

Bob
    Last edited by betzner; 04-29-2012 at 10:45 AM.

How did Steve Johnson do?? Winkler?

Don't really know, sorry. Frankly, none of Steve Johnson's pieces appealed to me (which is a first), but I would bet they all sold. And Daniel Winkler's period pieces are not something I have really gained much of an interest for - though they certainly are the best of class.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the show was good, glad to hear that there was some action!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
    Last edited by Kohai999; 04-30-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    Victory comes with the sword still in the scabbard
    The Way of the warrior is a dying art

Quote Originally Posted by Kohai999 View Post
    Sounds like the show was good, glad to hear that there was some action!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
    Good edit, my friend!

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd View Post
    Good edit, my friend!

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)
    I still feel they way that I do, David, but there is no reason to behave that way publicly....I'll keep it on the DL, and work to diminish the overall impact.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
    Victory comes with the sword still in the scabbard
    The Way of the warrior is a dying art

From what I've heard it was a really good show, Solvang attracts some of the world's best makers. I understand Emmanuel won the Best of Show award, voted on by attendees. I was told his new pattern , the Dolphin, was outstanding, hoping for pictures!

Pete, all I heard about was a sub-hilt Wilderness in Stag that Steve had. A friend of mine was pulled for it.
    Avatar is a Jimmy Fikes Sculpture - Something Different

Quote Originally Posted by Win Heger View Post
    From what I've heard it was a really good show, Solvang attracts some of the world's best makers. I understand Emmanuel won the Best of Show award, voted on by attendees. I was told his new pattern , the Dolphin, was outstanding, hoping for pictures!

Pete, all I heard about was a sub-hilt Wilderness in Stag that Steve had. A friend of mine was pulled for it.
    The show was great and from what I saw a success for most of the makers. Win, Emmanuel did win Best of Show, I brought home the Dolphin folder prototype and it is outstanding. Pictures of that knife and a couple of others to be posted in a separate thread. The SRJ knives were awesome and very expensive, especially a chute engraved by Barry Lee Hands. No shortage of buyers though. The knives that really appealed to me were by Hoel, Emmanuel, Boguszewski, Stiegerwalt, and the Swedish maker Anders Hedlund, whose knives were fantastic. He's someone to keep an eye on, nice guy too, very polite, he actually thanked me for dropping for his knives. Unfortunately the Fogarizzus couldn't make it, Tore had two knives for sale but Antonio had nothing. Without mentioning everyones name it was nice to see and talk with you all and I can't wait until the next Solvang Show in 2014.

It sounds like a really nice show with some great knives.

Did Tim Hancock attend this year?

Jim Treacy

My Collection & Available Knives: http://jjtjr.fototime.com/welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jjtjr View Post
    It sounds like a really nice show with some great knives.

Did Tim Hancock attend this year?

Jim Treacy
    Tim Hancock was there with four knives, a prototype folder, a cowboy bowie, a ulu, and a fancy hunter. I should also mention E. Jay Hendrickson. I don't collect his work but I did check it out. Great stuff and I heard a few collectors say that he really outdid himself at this show, they said it was the best they had ever seen from him.

Hey all. It was a really great show. It was good to see Phil B. and his wife. I was lucky to get the knife I really wanted most, the mastodon scaled mini-cobra with damascus. Thanks as always to Paul Shindler for his help and to Dan and Mae.

STeve... Wish you had come.

Paul Shindler was lucky to get the Fuegen push dagger which I thought was just amazing. Steve Johnson brought three sub-hilts and a high end Chute with Amber Stag and gold inlays. I know all three of the subs sold. Two were stag and one was mammoth handled.

-Adam J.

^^^ That Fuegen ought to be in my hands in the immediate future. News at 11...

Coop
    Jim Cooper - Capturing the Artistry and Significance of Handmade Knives. • Makers: Read Post 815 AND Post 891
    • 2014 Website - Below • SBC on Facebook

Thread Information