Thread: New Sheath Intro

New Sheath Intro

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello to all! Andy asked me to post this new thread as a means to introduce myself and two new sheaths available for Fiddleback Forge Knives. My name is Rick Lowe and my work is signed "R. Lo." to keep things simple. My home is in western North Carolina, I've been making knives and doing leather for about 15yrs. Although I do custom knives on a regular basis, leather work has taken on a much greater focus in the last two years. Through our memberships in the Georgia Custom Knife Makers Guild, Andy and I have talked and he suggested I do some new sheath work for his knives. These sheaths will be available through Fiddleback
    Forge with Andy's price structure for the base style. I'm making these with options of colors seen here, and in black, options of belt loops and cross draw style, and of course, left or right handed at no extra charge. I enjoy doing up grades and would encourage any one interested to contact me directly at ruger315@charter.net for details and pricing. My work is all warrantied, much like Andy, use it right and it'll last.
    Enough of that, here's the goods.
    First for the Bourbon Street Skinner:

Now for the Woodsman:

Nice work Rick they look like some well made sheaths.

Doug

Can you give us some specs on these? Weight of leather, how you seal them, what size belt it fits and so on. The more information the better.

I like the styling of your sheaths - I am a pouch maker myself - and Andy has not had a lot of other types of styles to choose from - your work will be welcome.

TF

The leather is premium veg-tan from Wickett&Craig in 7/8oz. weight. I've never found heavier leather needed for sheaths or gun leather. I finish with Feibings Tan-Tan Kote which gives a light shine and good water resistance. No leather is "water proof" and all need a little care under extreme conditions. If you fall in a stream or pond, find yourself caught in a down pour, etc. these sheaths will need to be dried slowly and then treated with a good leather product. Until that happens, they'll still do the job. No different than any high quality leather piece you own now. These belt loops will handle a belt or web up to 2".
    Talfuchre-I really want to thank you for the questions. It's hard to think of all the details of value on the first thread! Pouch style sheaths are great, but I feel this style allows the sheath to show the knife profile and gives better retention due to the close fit around the lower blade.

I really like those. Very slim and low profile.

I think that the retention is the same on these sheaths as pouches (if you skive the inside of the pouch welt and interior wall right) - but for Andy - it is all about options. He is not a leather bender - but we all need sheaths. The more people that buy a knife because they have the right sheath to put it in - the better.

We now have a small handful of leathermakers that work with Andy and I think the more options for the end user - the better.

I also agree that 7-8 ouce is all that is needed (I have a side of 8-10 ounce that I end up skiving most of it! )
    I also agree that NO leather is water proof. Water resistant is the best you get - unless you want it to be a stiff as a board (a super deep fried Bees Waxed sheath - for instance).

Welcome to the board - and I hope you sell a ton. We love to swap tips and tricks on here too - so don't be suprised if you don't get a 'How did you do that?' question in your in box.

Nice leather.

TF

Good looking sheaths! Nice to have you on board.
    Heber Ellsworth
    Email: wildmanh@yahoo.com

It is such an honor for me to be able to pair my work with Rick's leather. I always look forward to seeing him at Trackrock each year. You can see a lot of Sandy Morrissey, and Carl Rechsteiner's influence on his style. Thats a lucky benefit of the guild. You get to learn from real masters.

Welcome Rick!!! The sbeaths look fantastic.

Thanks to all for the welcome. I've been fortunate to have some really great mentors who are very open in both advice and critique. The two Andy mentions are tough and very frank, which helps keep a guy on his toes. If the work isn't up to standard, Sandy's likely to throw it right in the trash can (ask me how I know). I'm always open to questions both why and how, so if it comes up, just ask!

I bet two in the trashcan by Sandy saves about a year in learning how to do it the wrong way.

I bet you you learn fast in that company! Good on you!

TF

Yup, that's a basic pouch sheath I offer with my smaller EDC models. Same basic material, same finish, just smaller with a rivet holding the belt loop.

I love the sheath for the skinner

As Dex says "I toll ya, Pop!"
    RLo does quality work.

Rick, Have you done a sheath for a Fiddleback Bushcrafter? I have one that I might need some pants for!!

I just got it at the blade show!

DSCN2794.jpg

I haven't done a Bushcrafter yet, but Andy and I have been talking about this model and others being added to my patterns. Shoot me an email at ruger315@charter.net and we can discuss what you'd like to have.
    Thanks!

Rick did my sheaths for blade. Apart from out standing quality he has a great turnaround time! I have to say that his sheaths are one of the reasons I did well last week end, when people saw the quality and how well they complimented the knives they wear sold.
    "If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run,"

Dyslexic not dumb pleas let me know if i need to correct one of my post

SF Bay Area, CA. SpyderNation # 390. Beckerhead # 305.
    Anything similar for a KE Bushie?
    Message sent to ruger315

Thread Information