Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3" slicer grind???

ADVERTISEMENT
    I would to get a flipper in a 3" custom :-)

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker96 View Post
    I would to get a flipper in a 3" custom :-)
    Here you go - 3 Inch Flipper

Quote Originally Posted by zmcangus View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys...so the gen 4s are only in the 3.5 inchers?
    That's correct, the XM-18 3" is still in Gen.2 nothing technically changed, except for the nipple thumbstuds and the (production) slicer grind,
    the XM-18 is now in Gen.4 with the relocated stop pin and the XM-24 is also still in Gen.2, there are only 10 Gen.1's of those.

This is my Gen.1 XM-18 3" Flipper

What blade steel are the 3" slicers?

Quote Originally Posted by TooQuiet View Post
    What blade steel are the 3" slicers?
    Duratech 20CV

are the new 3" being offered in both spanto and slicer. It seems these 3" will be staying gen 2. Besides cosmetics, who do you guys like the old gen compared to the new gen. Was there a point besides cosmetics to move the stop pin? Hope the hinderer crew sends some of these to their authorized dealers
    ~we weep for the cry of the birds, but not the blood of the fish. blessed are those who have voice~
    一期一会
    WTB Jason Knight, CRK Snakeskin Damascus(Bertie Rietveld),

The new 3" are for now only available in slicer grind. And yes they are staying gen.2

Besides cosmetics on the Gen.4 3.5" the stop pin was relocated to have the option to leave out the finger choil in the blade...

Most people have noticed a stronger detent on the Gen.4 3.5" which improves flipping and blade retention and on most of them there are rounded thumbstuds, often referred to as nipple studs

ahh, thanks for that info. was curious as to the reasoning for it.
    ~we weep for the cry of the birds, but not the blood of the fish. blessed are those who have voice~
    一期一会
    WTB Jason Knight, CRK Snakeskin Damascus(Bertie Rietveld),

Quote Originally Posted by emel View Post
    The new 3" are for now only available in slicer grind. And yes they are staying gen.2

Besides cosmetics on the Gen.4 3.5" the stop pin was relocated to have the option to leave out the finger choil in the blade...

Most people have noticed a stronger detent on the Gen.4 3.5" which improves flipping and blade retention and on most of them there are rounded thumbstuds, often referred to as nipple studs
    Uhm..."rounded" thumbstuds? Mine look like little "volcanos" but nothing too rounded. Got a pic?, I'm a little confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Need2Know View Post
    Uhm..."rounded" thumbstuds? Mine look like little "volcanos" but nothing too rounded. Got a pic?, I'm a little confused.
    Check out this thread (picture) and the video link.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Video-Review!?
    Last edited by RDA; 05-03-2012 at 11:00 PM.

??

Quote Originally Posted by RDA View Post
    Check out this thread (picture) and the video link.
    In the photos of the new batch of 3" I see the radiused edges of the top tier of the thumbstud, just not on any of my Gen 3 or 4 3.5" as was claimed. More of a pronounced shoulder than a radius.

Oh, and, what video?

Stud shape seems to be yet another variant from one example to another. Makes it difficult to claim any statement about them is truer than another. Perhaps all the new 3" rock nipples, that's cool if they do or do not. I like flippers, so the studs rarely come into play. The stud's rounded or squared off upper tier matters very little to me. Glad it came up though, gave me yet another excuse to snap a pic of my EDC.

Sorry for the delay, just got up, there is bit of a time difference here:

The middle Gen.4 slicer non-flipper has the rounded studs, the Gen.4 on the right still has the old style like the XM-24 on the left.

I guess they just used up the parts and the later batched received the studs with the rounded top.

Also on this picture you can see the different frame finishes, bead blast, sand blast and stone wash, the only missing finish I don't have is called "working finish", that's very cool.

And of course there is still a 3" non-flipper slicer missing from this pic...

Last edited by emel; 05-04-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Anyone rocking "nipple studs" on a Spanto?
    Seems to be (from photos here) the Slicers have them, what about the others?
    I really like variety. Honestly, I do not pay much attention to the studs. Anyone have a preference for any one style over another (aestheticlly of functionally)?
    Last edited by Need2Know; 05-04-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling error

Yes a friend of mine also has them on his (custom) Gen.4 spanto. No preference here, I like them all..

Not much preference, aesthetically I like the rounded version for some reason. In use, there isn't much difference, I like them both. FYI to all, they have both versions in the parts bins at Hinderer Knives, there is no rhyme or reason as to which knives get which version, it isn't a Generation thing.

This just arrived!!!! It's REALLY nice. Thanks Rick and Rob and crew!

With a little light reading material for the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin 140.6 View Post
    This just arrived!!!! It's REALLY nice. Thanks Rick and Rob and crew!

With a little light reading material for the background.
    Very Cool ! You have good taste Sir. Congrats!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information